huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
My wife and I are about 2 weeks out frokm our first safari. She is allergic to alot of stuff including medicine and requires carrying an EpiPen. Do we need a prescription for this? Or will we be fine?
Screenshot_20180403-191905.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring a copy of every prescription you have.
It documents need for customs and provides back up in case you need to find a drug during your trip.

Epi Pens are a bit of a special case (I am told). The travel clinic I went to said that I should make certain to have a signed letter from my doc (on their letterhead) stating my need for Epi Pen in addition to proof the medication was prescribed to ME.
Some countries are particularly perturbed by Epi Pens for some reason. It was suggested that smuggling of illicit drugs could be the reason :E Shrug:
Mine went with me to SA, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. No one cared.
HOWEVER! Get the letter from your doc! Just in case.

Likely no one will care.... BUT Murphy's Law says that if you don’t have it you will need it. So I say take the script. What’s one more piece of paper.....

Best of luck on your hunt! I would agree with the others, get the extra documentation!

Hope you have a great safari. Get the prescriptions it’s best although you will never need them.
Philip

Where are you going?

Take one with plus the paperwork needed to get one just in case.

You keep counting the days you going to go crazy. LOL Hard to believe we started planning your trip over 2 years ago and now it is almost here.

Agree with the above...have all at hand just in case!!
Have a great and fun time...straight shooting!!

I have taken my so epi pen to over 40 countries, including 20 in Africa. I always have the prescription cut from the box with me. I have never been asked. I pack light and generally out all of my meds (prescription and over the counter pills) in one or two pill bottles to save space. This has never been scrutinized. Doesn't mean it won't, but it hasn't.

My wife and I are about 2 weeks out frokm our first safari. She is allergic to alot of stuff including medicine and requires carrying an EpiPen. Do we need a prescription for this? Or will we be fine?View attachment 223676

Huntinlabs,

In SA you do need a script for an Epipen. Of course she can bring hers over, but of course the risk of losing it in luggage is there - they may however not refuse her to take it as hand luggage.

Since i am the medical officer in charge of a private A&E unit in Zululand (it funds the hunting toys), as well as a PH, I have a standard health questionaire I send to prospective hunting clients. This I use to determine whether they are at any risk of sorts whilst hunting, to determine if any of their chronic prescription drugs might be a problem to obtain, plan my jump bag and medical kit's contents, pre-confirm with the nearest private hospital to the hunting area if they will except the clients travel insurance and what payment arrangements might be necessary, etc etc.

Drug names differ from country to country and the last thing you need is for your wife to have an adverse reaction to a drug over here, whilst 2h drive from the nearest A&E.

You are most welcome to contact me if you have any queries and I will gladly assist. My email is dewald6555 at gmail.com

Huntinlabs,

In SA you do need a script for an Epipen. Of course she can bring hers over, but of course the risk of losing it in luggage is there - they may however not refuse her to take it as hand luggage.

Since i am the medical officer in charge of a private A&E unit in Zululand (it funds the hunting toys), as well as a PH, I have a standard health questionaire I send to prospective hunting clients. This I use to determine whether they are at any risk of sorts whilst hunting, to determine if any of their chronic prescription drugs might be a problem to obtain, plan my jump bag and medical kit's contents, pre-confirm with the nearest private hospital to the hunting area if they will except the clients travel insurance and what payment arrangements might be necessary, etc etc.

Drug names differ from country to country and the last thing you need is for your wife to have an adverse reaction to a drug over here, whilst 2h drive from the nearest A&E.

You are most welcome to contact me if you have any queries and I will gladly assist. My email is dewald6555 at gmail.com

Sent you an email

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.