ZIMBABWE: Zimbabwe 2019 With JKO Hunting Safaris On Lake Kariba

Day 7:

Checking leopard baits but no hits. I get to shoot an impala for camp meat, which we would enjoy some of it for the next two nights! We see another big blue eland bull, and another 5' klippy as well as some grysbok in the morning. After lunch, we look for buff, kudu, and bushbuck with no luck until last light. On the way back to camp, there is a sudden hard tap on the roof of the truck. To our left is a herd of buff, we quickly grab our binos to take a look. The are relatively calm, and we drive down a road that intersects with the main road to get a better look. The herd is probably 30-40 buffalo, We identify 2 shootable bulls in the herd, one of which is close to what I'm looking for, but not quite there. I already have a buff, and the next one I would like to do my best to find one that fits the configuration/shape I am looking for. It was exciting to see, and the adrenaline rush kicked in where you get mentally geared up for stalk. It also looked like another shooter in the back, but we couldn't quite make him out and light was fading fast, so we left after they trotted away. We will check back in the area tomorrow for the herd.

I missed the part where this was a photo safari. Let me go check the other report to see if any hunting is being done :LOL:

I missed the part where this was a photo safari. Let me go check the other report to see if any hunting is being done :LOL:

Oh no doubt it was, every day I was looking for big kudu, bushbuck, and warthog, leopard, buff, and hyena. If this was my first or second safari, I would have easily had 10+ animals in the salt. The species I was interested in were not showing themselves, and of course the ones I was not interested in or already had were around almost daily unfortunately!

Day 8:

No hits on the leopard baits :(, see the usual suspects driving around (baboon, duiker, monkeys, zebra, a few impala). Late in the afternoon we get on a different herd of buff than the prior day and take after them in the thick stuff. We track for about 30 minutes and get on them, the wind is not in our favor however. The herd splits in tow and we get on the ones that stayed on this side of the ravine. About another 10 minutes of tracking through some thick stuff, we see black patches through the brush. Unfortunately all we can see are cows. Eventually the gig is up and the blow out of there. Back to the truck to drive to the area where we left the other herd the previous night. We see where they cross the road and went towards the water in another block. Its deemed best that its too late to follow 10+ hour old tracks so we head back for the evening.

Sounds like a great adventure. I bet you get what you're after. You are right though the experience is the most important thing after you been there a few times.

Sounds like a great adventure. I bet you get what you're after. You are right though the experience is the most important thing after you been there a few times.

Absolutely Mr. Waters! Just love being out in the bush regardless!

Day 9 and 10:

No hits on the leopard baits this morning. We come across zebra, kudu cows, warthog, klippy, grysbok, sable cows and buff cows. The weather has been hotter again, and this afternoon the wind picks up and absolutely nothing is moving the rest of the day.The other guys dont see anything in the afternoon either.
thumbnail (16).jpg

Cool to see the fish eagles up close!

DSC00176.JPG

By dinner time the wind must be blowing a constant 25-35 mph. Good news is even with it being hot, it would make sleeping a little easier tonight. I remember waking up two different times in the night with the wind howling and the curtains all standing out 90 degree angles!!

This weather will not only make hunting difficult most likely in the morning, but potentially alter our travel plans back to the falls.

Day 10: we agree that we will head back t the falls today instead of tomorrow, I will feel much better about making my flights by doing this versus a 6 hour trek leaving at 4:30 am the next day with a 1:30 flight. So, we set out hunting for a few hours this morning. The weather is still the same, just not quite as windy as last night. Unfortunately,all the game seems to be hunkered down. We see one sable, another good one, but that's all we see. The leopard baits remain untouched.The other truck doesn't see anything either. Back to camp to pack to start the journey back. The 40 minute boat ride back to Sij is much more perilous this morning than it was on day 1 due to the wind, but we make it safe and sound.
thumbnail (14).jpg

Day 10 continued/ Morning of Day 11:

We made it to the Falls in time to enjoy vising the Vic Falls Hotel, taking a sunset cruise and nice dinner at Gorges Lodge. What a beautiful place to stay, and I always enjoy the sunset cruise on the river! Good times with good friends were had!

IMG_2278.JPG
DSC00212.JPG
DSC00215.JPG
DSC00219.JPG
DSC00237.JPG
DSC00239.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG

thumbnail (25).jpg
thumbnail (18).jpg

On the morning of Day 11, We went to the bridge between the 2 countries because someone decided to bungee jump (not me!!) At least I was able to find my favorite African beer on the other side of the bridge to watch this person jump!

thumbnail (26).jpg
thumbnail (29).jpg

Hunt summary:

Enjoyable time with friends in a remote and wild place where 6 of the dangerous 7 roam! *If anyone is wondering if I took anything besides baits, please feel free to PM, Call, Whatsapp, or text me for more.

Game seen: Duiker, Impala, baboon, monkey, jackal, kudu, bushbuck, waterbuck, eland, klippy, grysbok, sable, zebra, warthog, buffalo, hippo, croc, elephant. The only game in the area we did not actually see but found tracks for were leopard, bushpig, lion, and hyeana. I had a legitimate chance at all the game seen, if someone is considering hunting here its certainly a great place! Thanks to @JKO Hunting Safaris for organizing this and to Jacques, Chris, and @whitetail for a good time!

Glad you had a good hunt. Thanks for the report.

Day 10 continued/ Morning of Day 11:

We made it to the Falls in time to enjoy vising the Vic Falls Hotel, taking a sunset cruise and nice dinner at Gorges Lodge. What a beautiful place to stay, and I always enjoy the sunset cruise on the river! Good times with good friends were had!

View attachment 311099 View attachment 311100 View attachment 311101 View attachment 311102 View attachment 311103 View attachment 311104 View attachment 311105 View attachment 311106 View attachment 311107

View attachment 311112 View attachment 311113

On the morning of Day 11, We went to the bridge between the 2 countries because someone decided to bungee jump (not me!!) At least I was able to find my favorite African beer on the other side of the bridge to watch this person jump!

View attachment 311108 View attachment 311109
Whoever jumped from that bridge is an absolute idiot!!!! :))))

Wow. You show a lot of restraint; picking and choosing. I would have pulled the trigger on most of them if I could have, but I'm a beginner.

Thanks for sharing!

Congrats, thanks for the hunting report! There is nothing wrong with appreciation of the beauty of Africa! Patience is a virtue.

Thanks, for the great report, congrats on a successful Safari.

Wow. You show a lot of restraint; picking and choosing. I would have pulled the trigger on most of them if I could have, but I'm a beginner.

Thanks for sharing!

I am not a beginner, and would have also been letting the lead fly. This despite all my better judgement. I have no self restraint. Well, very little. I truly become immersed in the moment, and next thing I know, I hear myself say “Yeh, that is one beautiful (fill in the blank). Let’s go after him.” I have no regrets, except when I have to delay the next adventure because I blew my budget like a Nor’Easter. Oh well, ones man’s restraint is my next opportunity. LOL

Thanks for sharing the pictures Charles

Thanks for your interesting report. I am definitely somewhat ignorant but can you explain to me the comments concerning more information with a private e mail. Sorry if everyone else understands—I am perhaps just thick. Thanks for your patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg