Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Folks I am very interested to hear from my fellow AH members on actual experience with getting trophies out of Zim and back to the states.
I have never hunted Zim before but do hear some issues that may come up. Can you comment on the following:

1) when did you hunt and how long did it take to get trophies out of Zim?
2) who did the dip pack?
3) if taxidermy work done in Zim then who did it?
4) what shipping company took care of the freight?
5) what area of Zim did you hunt?
6) did you and your outfitter take skin and skull to taxidermist together or was it done after your departure?
7) any issues with local officials?

Hey Charlie,

• Hunted in August 2014
  • Outfitter handled the D&P, so probably no help for you there...
  • Intercontinental Freight handled the shipping out of country - trophies delivered to them in late November, and they shipped in early March
  • Hunted in northern Zim (Chewore North)
  • Outfitter handled everything
  • No issues at all
Chifuti is a big outfit and made it painless. The shipping company was good too. They kept me informed as they were going through the process and I received updates from them every few weeks to my recollection. Not a big deal, but payment to the shipping company was a wire to New Zealand as I recall? Just something to be aware of.

Holler at me if you want more detail about anything.

• Hunted in May 2010 trophies arrived at my taxidermist October 2010
  • Dip and Pack was done by Bromley Gameskin Tannery, Zim
  • Coppersmith handled the export/import ( I can look up the shipper, don't have it in front of me currently) I believe it came as cargo on a Delta flight from Joberg to Atlanta)
  • Hunted Save Valley Conservancy (SE Zim)
  • PH handled all arrangements in Zim after my departure
  • No issues at all either

Let me know if you need more info!

Hey Charlie,

• Hunted in August 2014
  • Outfitter handled the D&P, so probably no help for you there...
  • Intercontinental Freight handled the shipping out of country - trophies delivered to them in late November, and they shipped in early March
  • Hunted in northern Zim (Chewore North)
  • Outfitter handled everything
  • No issues at all
Chifuti is a big outfit and made it painless. The shipping company was good too. They kept me informed as they were going through the process and I received updates from them every few weeks to my recollection. Not a big deal, but payment to the shipping company was a wire to New Zealand as I recall? Just something to be aware of.

Holler at me if you want more detail about anything.

Thank you Royal. I expect that we will speak before I leave.

• Hunted in May 2010 trophies arrived at my taxidermist October 2010
  • Dip and Pack was done by Bromley Gameskin Tannery, Zim
  • Coppersmith handled the export/import ( I can look up the shipper, don't have it in front of me currently) I believe it came as cargo on a Delta flight from Joberg to Atlanta)
  • Hunted Save Valley Conservancy (SE Zim)
  • PH handled all arrangements in Zim after my departure
  • No issues at all either
Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks griz. Interesting that it went through Joberg!

Hunted the Save in Zim once in 2012, once in 2013. Going back in 30 days. First time trophies took 10 months for dip/pack and expediting.
Second time took almost a year, had to go through Joberg. Needed additional papers for that. Cindi Rulon at WellWorld has done all my expediting for three trips and it has all gone flawless. My P.H. handles the dip/pack and the charge is $600 per crate, no matter how many trophies. I believe they transport to dip/pack about every 2 months as it is at least a 5 hr. road trip. I took stainless dog tags along and they were still on my trophies when arrived. Some still on the skulls now! P.m. or call if you want to talk more. Good luck and what part/ when are you going?

K-man I'm going in late July. Hunting up in the Vic falls area. I've heard what your talking about the wait for outfitters to take trophies to the dip pack location. That is exactly what concerns me.

I agree but every skin I have received has been good. I am sure the skinning/salt/disinfecting at the skinning shed must be proper. I just received my last finished trophy this week from my 2013 trip, and Dennis at Artistry is using my bushpig with my lion from dec 2014 trip. Check with your P.H. about his precautions and procedures. I think they are even more careful than some from S.A. because they know how long it may take. A hide can slip in just a few days if not done properly, or can last years if careful. Dennis has some good advice on here about what to ask or look for at the skinning shed.

Charlie, my Zim trophies are about to ship out of Bulawayo next week.

1) when did you hunt and how long did it take to get trophies out of Zim?
Late May 2015. Call it 10 to 11 months. Taxidermist gave me a 6 month time estimate, they actually took about 7 months. They shut down for a month from Dec 15 to Jan 15, so nothing gets done. The rest of the time has been waiting for Zim officials to approve the shipment, another 2-3 months. Just got the shipping bill and wired the money about 5 days ago. Once it clears, it should ship.

2) who did the dip pack?
Collette's (www.collettswildlifeartistry.com ) They handle the trophies taken in the Bubye Valley Conservancy. Very impressed with the field care. I think they collect trophies each week and take back to Bulawayo.

3) if taxidermy work done in Zim then who did it?
Collett's. They offer a tanning only service that supposedly saves on the shipping weight and volume to the US. Three animals (Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Waterbuck) tanning cost ~$485 . Crating, paperwork, misc another $250.

4) what shipping company took care of the freight?
In Zim:
FREIGHT CONSULTANTS
3 TROJAN STREET
BELMONT
BULAWAYO
ZIMBABWE
TEL: +263 9 474153
cargoair@mweb.co.zw

In the US, I'm using Coppersmith to receive and clear in Seattle. Final destination is a taxidermist in Montana. Cost to ship from Bulawayo to Seattle, all fees, paperwork, etc ~$1,000

5) what area of Zim did you hunt?
Bubye Valley Conservancy: http://bubyevalleyconservancy.com/
John Sharp PH: http://www.john-sharp-safaris.com/

6) did you and your outfitter take skin and skull to taxidermist together or was it done after your departure?
The taxidermist, Collette's, sends a truck down to collect trophies from the 8 camps on the BVC. I think they do this once or twice a week.

7) any issues with local officials?
Just more time. The local shipping company handled that.

Just as a comparison, my Namibian trophies were taken in June 2015. Arrived at the tannery in Montana in 4 months.

Namibia Safari Services handled it all and was very impressed how quick things moved.

Thanks for the details 375

Something you might be interested in picking up in the Vic Falls area is a wood carving of the Big 5. When I was there last year, on the Zam side of the falls, I picked up a Big 5 carving and squeezed it into a suitcase. The vendor had a shop at the Zambezi Sun Hotel, right by the falls. I got his email and he ended up shipping a larger one to me in Lagos. It arrived by DHL in about 5 days and I wired him the money upon delivery. It's about 34 inches tall and probably weights 40 lbs. I'm sure multiple street vendors on both sides of the falls offer similar stuff.

DSC00750.JPG

Man I like the Big5

I'm taking an extra case this time to bring stuff back in!

You might have saved weight and space by having your tanning done there but the price is about double for what a US tannery would charge for tanning those three animals.

You might have saved weight and space by having your tanning done there but the price is about double for what a US tannery would charge for tanning those three animals.

Now you tell me! :S Agree:

Good judgement comes with experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I thought I'd give the tanning only option a try in Bulawayo and compare. You are correct, no real savings when it's all said and done and just amounted to a time delay. My taxidermist in Montana knocked off $75 per animal. From now on, just dip, pack and ship to the US tannery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you