Zimbabwe Political Update

Like to see more of that.

Thank you for sharing this

I met a man at DSC that had lost his farms in Zim a few years back. The court had just ruled last week that the government has to immediately pay him damages to his farm (which they produced receipts at court for) that would amount to over $4 million US or immediately sign the farm back over to him. He was excited as there was an actual court date for the closing and it was apparent that they had no way to pay the damages so he is getting his land back. We were in a group of 4 other Zim citizens at the time. Whatever other problems might be existing at the time it was at least encouraging news, and it came straight from the source with a group that knew his situation. It is a least a good start

That is good news!

K-man.....thanks for that note. It would be nice to get an update on this in 6 months or so to see what really happens. I wish him the best............FWB

K-man.....thanks for that note. It would be nice to get an update on this in 6 months or so to see what really happens. I wish him the best............FWB

Yeah, talk is cheap.

I remember in '96 on my first trip to Zim, I hunted with a family named Greaves. They farmed and owned Fountain Safaris, son Harry was their main PH if I recall. They had a nice operation, I took some stellar animals with them and a couple not so stellar, but had a great time overall. I recall they were very concerned about the land grab stories flying around at the time. I imagine they either lost their farm or just fled like many did to more friendly parts. I don't know. No doubt Robin, the owner of it all has probably since long passed, he was somewhat elderly then. I got my Courteney shoes in Bulawayo on the way out for a whopping $30 US! Still have them.

I remember in '96 on my first trip to Zim, I hunted with a family named Greaves. They farmed and owned Fountain Safaris, son Harry was their main PH if I recall. They had a nice operation, I took some stellar animals with them and a couple not so stellar, but had a great time overall. I recall they were very concerned about the land grab stories flying around at the time. I imagine they either lost their farm or just fled like many did to more friendly parts. I don't know. No doubt Robin, the owner of it all has probably since long passed, he was somewhat elderly then. I got my Courteney shoes in Bulawayo on the way out for a whopping $30 US! Still have them.
better than the 289.00 i paid in 2002.

Tim, cbvanb and I will be there in August as well. We’re hunting Dande North with Charton/McAllan Safaris. I wish we were going in thru Bulawayo as well, but Harare it is. We are going to charter out to the camp and stay off the roads.
tell kirsty and buzz and miles i said hello.

Reactions: WAB
I am about thru with Sharps book as well, have enjoyed it very much.

All quiet in Bulawayo! We brought our Chiefs Isuzu into Bulawayo for service, we had heard that there were to be "troubles" on Tuesday. Just another normal day in Bulawayo!

Will there be problems in the future? Probably, wages are so low (if you have a job) and prices are reaching unreal prices, bread went up yesterday by close to 70%. Now that they have fuel prices up to where the "fuel cartel" wants the prices, "bingo" now we have plenty of fuel with no queues!

What effects will the "problems" have on you future hunt? Probably none, how will it effect your Safari companies bottom line? It is really going to hurt and eventually hunt prices will probably have to increase, which again will hurt! Time will tell what is in store for all of us!

Good thing that the Blacks took the land back from their oppressors 39 years ago....now they can finally live in peace and prosperity;)

Good thing that the Blacks took the land back from their oppressors 39 years ago....now they can finally live in peace and prosperity;)

Just for clarification, because you're painting a broad brush against a race with that one. The Matebele specifically, and the various black employees in total of the white farmer suffered untold horrors over the past 39 years. A small group of Shona government officials were the beneficiaries of the land seizure and other endeavors. The locals lost their on-farm clinics, on-farm schools, their employer, and in most cases their jobs as part of the past 39 years.

I think that you miss the sarcasm emoji in my post but my point is that as a whole, black people were way better off under white rule than they are today
Exactly.

Sometimes we forget to slow down and smell the sarcasm

....... but my point is that as a whole, black people were way better off under white rule than they are today
I've already heard that from some black people.
But really want does it nobody. There is also in whole Africa no political movement that desires that.
Better to flee to Europe.........:(

I think that you miss the sarcasm emoji in my post but my point is that as a whole, black people were way better off under white rule than they are today

I got the sarcasm, I just didn't want to agree its an issue of race, its a lot more nuanced than that. I don't believe in the moral relativism that suggests people would be better off under other unjust systems. Its similar to the argument "US slaves were way better treated than they would have been in Cote De Voir and Ghana, therefore slavery wasn't so bad". Just an argument inferred I can't abide.

I don't believe in the moral relativism that suggests people would be better off under other unjust systems.

You can believe what you want. The fact is, immoral/unjust systems do exist on a continuum and some are worse than others.

I don’t see anyone here advocating for an unjust system for anyone else.

“I believe” SuperCat was pointing out that humans have a tendency to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I got the sarcasm, I just didn't want to agree its an issue of race, its a lot more nuanced than that. I don't believe in the moral relativism that suggests people would be better off under other unjust systems. Its similar to the argument "US slaves were way better treated than they would have been in Cote De Voir and Ghana, therefore slavery wasn't so bad". Just an argument inferred I can't abide.

Great point and insight hawk.

It’s hard to argue with what you said but if you look at what has happened to Zimbabwe since 1980, the reality of it all can’t be ignored.

Would one rather live a better life in an “unjust” society or live today with a massive AIDS epidemic, 70% unemployment, essentially no health services, and brutal beat downs by your own people??? I don’t know. I certainly do not have the answer either...I’m just glad that I don’t have to live there

The beatings shall continue until moral improves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg