Zimbabwe Political Update

I have a trip to the Save in August as well. I saw my Safari Co/PH's in Reno last weekend, they didn't say anything. It will likely calm down by then.

Help me out here guys. Crude oil is basically in the tank and yet they raised the prices on fuel? How does that work? Does the government own all the fuel stations? No free market in vehicle fuel?

The govnt sets the prices in zim ...same as Zambia and every different company has to sell at that price everywhere in the country. So you pay same in the major towns as in the farthest fuel stations. ..not sure bout other countries

Not here Spike... prices vary tremendously all over the states.

Thought you might be but just in case...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

If this had to happen, glad it is going down now and not in July...I fly out ~August 12 for Bulawayo.

Might make for an interesting trip report though!

Goin' down, oh yeah, just blowin' the froth off a cup!o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tarbe, you'll just have to hire John Sharp as a Body Guard!!!

Reactions: WAB
Exactly! Those poor people have suffered for years under foolish leadership that has brought the country nothing misery. They need cash anyway they can get it.
corrupt leadership!!!!!!!!!

I have a trip to the Save in August as well. I saw my Safari Co/PH's in Reno last weekend, they didn't say anything. It will likely calm down by then.
why would they,they dont want any cancellations.

why would they,they dont want any cancellations.

simply acknowledging there was anything going on which people were going to figure out anyway. I'm not too worried, it should calm by then hopefully.

Lets hope so, but remember that old saying, "hope in one hand and s*** in the other, and see what you get first".:rolleyes:

I am at the Dallas Safari Club as we speak. I spoke to several people here from Zimbabwe and they said that this too will pass. They aren’t worried in the least.
I’m not either;)

Zimbabwe: What Now After a 2nd Internet Shutdown, and Treason Charges for Activists?

Cape Town — Zimbabwe's government has again forced a "total Internet shutdown",Misa Zimbabwe says, after a violent crackdown by police when huge crowds protested against dramatic fuel price increases.
The country's biggest mobile operator Econet Wireless says it has been ordered to shut down the Internet nationwide until further notice.

https://www.newzimbabwe.com/govt-or...angagwa-eats-cake-with-europes-last-dictator/

We are on the ground here in Milibizi. The govt. cut all communications until yesterday. The country has operated on a dual currency for the last two years. Zimbabwe has been using the "bond" and the U.S. dollar. The bond is supposed to be on par with the U.S. dollar (year right). The price of fuel was raised on the bond. We were paying about B1.35 per litre on diesel and $1.00 U.S. per litre. Now the Bond price has gone up to around B3.50 per litre, but the bond is now trading for about B4.50 to $1.00.

O.K. so much for fuel, the local grocery stores have raised the price of food by somewhere around 12 to 15 times. A head of cauliflower at one of our South African owned groceries is Bond or U.S. $86.00. Dual pricing is not exactly legal so needless to say, not so nice.

Now as to what is taking place. First there was a stayaway and peaceful protests, then not so peaceful protest. The govt. responded shall we say harshly. Of course things turned into riots and as many of you know criminals love riots, it gives them a chance to maim, steel and destroy. At the moment things are very quiet. There are rumours of another stayaway this coming week, who knows. The army has been deployed throughout the country, the exact purpose is unclear.

I certainly cannot speak about August but if you were arriving in Victoria Falls tomorrow you would probably experience three courteous road blocks on the way to our hunting camp. You might hear a bit of sobbing from my tent, that could be because the nice roast beef dinner, with wine and side dishes cost me 50% of what your daily fee cost is, because of course I quoted you your price six months ago. In all seriousness our operating costs have and will continue to skyrocket. We bought goats for baits in 2018 and we paid B15.00 now the people want $80.00 each.

Your Zimbabwe Safari Operator will see that your hunt takes place in a safe and friendly atmosphere.

Mnangagwa's spokesperson says govt crackdown 'foretaste of things to come'
20 JANUARY 2019, 1:55PM

HARARE - A crackdown last week on protests in Zimbabwe is a foretaste of how the government will respond to future unrest, the president's spokesman said, fuelling concerns that the country is reverting to authoritarian rule.

Police say three people died during protests over fuel price hikes in Harare's capital and second city Bulawayo that turned violent. But human rights groups say evidence suggests at least a dozen people were killed while scores were treated for gunshot wounds.

"(The) government will not stand by while such narrow interests play out so violently. The response so far is just a foretaste of things to come," said President Emmerson Mnangagwa's spokesman George Charamba. Charamba told the state-controlled Sunday Mail newspaper the government would review some provisions of the constitution adopted in 2013, which he said were being abused by proponents of democracy.

Lawyers and activists say hundreds of Zimbabweans were detained last week accused of public order offences, including at least four lawmakers from the opposition MDC party and Evan Mawarire, a pastor who rose to prominence as a critic of former leader Robert Mugabe critic and led a national shutdown in 2016. Local rights groups say security forces, accused of night raids at homes of suspected protesters, are now trying to track down people who have gone into hiding.

A partial internet blackout was still in force on Sunday, two days after mobile networks sent messages to customers saying they had been ordered to keep social media sites shut until further notice.

When he was elected in July, Mnangagwa promised a clean break with the 37-year rule of Mugabe, who used the security forces to quell civilian protests before being forced out in a de facto coup in November 2017. But the MDC says former Mugabe ally Mnangagwa is now overseeing a reversion to authoritarian rule by using the same tactic.

Charamba, who is on an official trip with Mnangagwa to Azerbaijan, said the MDC leadership and affiliate organisations would be "held fully accountable for the violence and the looting." The MDC denies fomenting unrest.

U.N. rights officials denounced last week's crackdown, while an independent inquiry found that the army used excessive force when it stepped in to stop post-election violence last August, during which six people were shot dead.

Zimbabweans, who have seen their purchasing power eroded by soaring inflation, also say Mnangagwa has not delivered on pre-election pledges to kick-start economic growth after Mugabe's exit.

Reuters

We are on the ground here in Milibizi. The govt. cut all communications until yesterday. The country has operated on a dual currency for the last two years. Zimbabwe has been using the "bond" and the U.S. dollar. The bond is supposed to be on par with the U.S. dollar (year right). The price of fuel was raised on the bond. We were paying about B1.35 per litre on diesel and $1.00 U.S. per litre. Now the Bond price has gone up to around B3.50 per litre, but the bond is now trading for about B4.50 to $1.00.

O.K. so much for fuel, the local grocery stores have raised the price of food by somewhere around 12 to 15 times. A head of cauliflower at one of our South African owned groceries is Bond or U.S. $86.00. Dual pricing is not exactly legal so needless to say, not so nice.

Now as to what is taking place. First there was a stayaway and peaceful protests, then not so peaceful protest. The govt. responded shall we say harshly. Of course things turned into riots and as many of you know criminals love riots, it gives them a chance to maim, steel and destroy. At the moment things are very quiet. There are rumours of another stayaway this coming week, who knows. The army has been deployed throughout the country, the exact purpose is unclear.

I certainly cannot speak about August but if you were arriving in Victoria Falls tomorrow you would probably experience three courteous road blocks on the way to our hunting camp. You might hear a bit of sobbing from my tent, that could be because the nice roast beef dinner, with wine and side dishes cost me 50% of what your daily fee cost is, because of course I quoted you your price six months ago. In all seriousness our operating costs have and will continue to skyrocket. We bought goats for baits in 2018 and we paid B15.00 now the people want $80.00 each.

Your Zimbabwe Safari Operator will see that your hunt takes place in a safe and friendly atmosphere.

I feel for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois