Zimbabwe PH & Son Killed in Alleged Case of "Mistaken Identity".

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Harare (AFP) - An Italian father and son who lived in Zimbabwe were shot dead by a wildlife ranger while on an anti-poaching patrol in an apparent case of mistaken identity, a safari industry representative said Monday. The two were killed in the Mana Pools national park in northern Zimbabwe on Sunday."Claudio Chiarelli, who was an accomplished professional hunter who brought European tourists to Zimbabwe, was accidentally shot with his son and they both died," Emmanuel Fundira, head of the Safari Operators Association, told AFP."Claudio and some colleagues were on a trip with a parks anti-poaching unit when a ranger came from nowhere and shot at them while they were standing outside their vehicle."We understand it was a case of mistaken identity."Fundira said private individuals regularly assist the Zimbabwean parks department's anti-poaching activities by providing logistical support for patrols.An Italian embassy official, who declined to be named, said the Chiarelli, reportedly from Padua, had lived in Zimbabwe since 1982 and that his son was born in the country.Italian media reports said Chiarelli was 50, and identified his son as 20-year-old Massimiliano."We can confirm it happened yesterday at Mana Pools national park but we are not aware of the exact details," said the official."We are in contact with the family. It's a tragedy. The loss of a father and a son, and also for Zimbabwe for the bad publicity it will generate."The government parks department and police said they were investigating the incident. - See more at: http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-national-byo-84461.html#sthash.CISMyQV4.dpuf

Jimnwise

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.ouachitaarms.com
Member of
RMEF, NWTF, NRA
That's very sad. My condolences to the family,

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Very sad news, prayers for the family during their time of loss

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Prayers....

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
Such a tragedy, prayers to the family.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
What a screwed up mess. The whole world has gone to hell!

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
What a horrible event! My condolences.

A couple of Italian men, standing beside a vehicle with an anti-poaching patrol, were mistaken for what exactly?!

Last edited by a moderator:

TallGrassHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Absolute tragedy that leaves a stench on the smell test.

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
What a horrible event! My condolences.

A couple of Italian men, standing beside a vehicle with an anti-poaching patrol, were mistaken for what exactly?!
My thoughts exactly????
Absolute tragedy that leaves a stench on the smell test.
I thought the same thing. How in the hell could this have been "mistaken identity"????????

Last edited by a moderator:

gvincent

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
HSC, DSC, SCI, NRA, and RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, and Zimbabwe
My condolences to their family and friends.

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
how can something like this happen???

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
A terrible tragedy.

Having said that, when rangers are given orders to shoot first and ask questions later, or shoot on sight, or whatever you call it, it's somewhat surprising, at least to me, that this hasn't happened before. I know that anti-poaching is both a difficult and a dangerous job, but there are lots of people in parks and hunting areas who have a legitimate right to be there. And some of those even have guns. We don't allow police to shoot on sight, and without identifying a target, so I wonder why we let rangers do that?

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
A terrible tragedy.

Having said that, when rangers are given orders to shoot first and ask questions later, or shoot on sight, or whatever you call it, it's somewhat surprising, at least to me, that this hasn't happened before. I know that anti-poaching is both a difficult and a dangerous job, but there are lots of people in parks and hunting areas who have a legitimate right to be there. And some of those even have guns. We don't allow police to shoot on sight, and without identifying a target, so I wonder why we let rangers do that?

we have no control over anything in africa,or this country so it seems.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Here is an incident in Namibia back in 2002.

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 6.10.12 PM.png

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Something smells rotten to me.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
That really sucks. Go to Africa, and get shot at by poachers, as well as anti-poaching patrols.

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
My condolences to their family. I hope this is truly an accident and the ranger isn't part of some poaching ring looking to take someone out.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Here is an incident in Namibia back in 2002.

View attachment 57593

I was really impressed the first time I caught a glimpse of blaze orange moving through a dense tree line some 300 yards in front of me; this stuff probably saves a lot of lives. But this tragedy really comes down to the basic training of identifying your target, and what's beyond, before pulling the trigger.

Now the poaching patrol killing is something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fiona98P0

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh