ZIMBABWE: Nyati And The Buffalo Pan Leopard Day 2

Thanks, Charlie. The blind was 47 yards from the tree. They used donkey quarters in that area as plains game are hard to come by - principally because the bush is so thick. They buy old and sick donkeys from the local villagers. Felt a little sorry for the donkeys, but not enough to call off the hunt!

Donkey meat was discussed in the Boddington video I purchased. Glad it worked for you!

Nice to hear of a leopard being taken in Zim. Been tough lately for AH hunters. Beautiful tom and a nice buf. Congrats. Bruce

Congrats Doug!

You're so right on the wild areas. They are different, amd very special. I look forward to talking to you again in Dallas this year and hearing more from you.

Royal

Two fine trophies. Congratulations. Mr. Spots and I have a date in the future! Mr. Spots 1 hunters zero....

....... We heard him come to the front, then around the left side and stopping at the back, so close we could hear him breathing and sniffing our scent! My heart was pounding in my throat but I dared not move!

Great tale.
I have only felt that bolt of lightening go up my spine once in my life. Having a Leopard rustling the grass on the blind is something to experience.
Heart pounding in your throat only comes after the lightning bolt.

Congratulations on a well deserved trophy. Oh ya, that Buffalo is not to bad either. (y)

Thanks, Brickburn. Yes, spine tingling to say the least! At the moment I was wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into, but what a tale to remember.

Nice work!

Congrats on your success! Impressive Tom!

Congrats on the trophies! And a great story which makes it 10X better.

Well done on a super safari, great trophies.

Congrats for a great hunt !

Very nice results (Big male leopard!!) Of course, Jackass Leopard would've been a close 2nd for a title. 'Wonder just how many donkeys are grabbed by leopards at night there, if not in a boma? Was this in the Naivasha or on one of the big private farms bordering the park??

Thanks, Chris. Yes, we were joking by the end of the week that all the donkeys in town were running at the sight of the Somerby logo on the truck. Not sure how many are grabbed by the cats, but undoubtedly some are. This hunt was in the Naivasha communal area, near Boli. Really a beautiful place. I was fortunate that they had good rains in the wet season. All of the pans were full and lots of animals were travelling from the park to the concession. Buff and ele both.

Thanks, Chris. Yes, we were joking by the end of the week that all the donkeys in town were running at the sight of the Somerby logo on the truck. Not sure how many are grabbed by the cats, but undoubtedly some are. This hunt was in the Naivasha communal area, near Boli. Really a beautiful place. I was fortunate that they had good rains in the wet season. All of the pans were full and lots of animals were travelling from the park to the concession. Buff and ele both.
Your original post was in May, so I'll guess your hunt was at this time as well? Good stuff re: the safari truck logo!

Your original post was in May, so I'll guess your hunt was at this time as well? Good stuff re: the safari truck logo!

Yes, I was in camp from May 18th to May 27th.

Just seeing this now, as it came back to the top.

All I can say is wow.

What a trip - two great hunts - two great trophies.

You will likely never top this! But certainly, have fun trying!

You didn't drop that Buffalo with any of the ammo I sold you, did you?

Tim

You didn't drop that Buffalo with any of the ammo I sold you, did you?

Thanks, Tim. I played around with a lot of ammo, including the Cor Bon that you sold me. Ultimately I ended up using some custom loaded ammo from Hendershots. 400 grain TSX at 2250 fps, 100 fps faster than the Cor Bon. Still need to get set up to reload, though. Not much factory ammo in 404 with premium bullets and what there is, is pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.