ZIMBABWE: Nyamazana Elephant Hunt - Happy Birthday To Me!

Burchells

They just don't have nearly as prominent shadow stripes as the SA zebra does, but still the same sub species.
I like them better with very pronounced stripes all the way down their legs.

Just now getting caught up on this report. Congratulations on your elephant! And your other trophies! Thank you for an outstanding report.

I really enjoyed the way you described the elephant hunt. I've been considering what to hunt on my next big safari. Initially I was thinking leopard because I love the big cats. You've got me thinking now. Elephant may be the way to go!

Congrats Royal! Great memories and great trophies! I love that spotted hyena!

That doesn't appear to be your PHs' driver's license in his hand when speaking to the police :cool::A Banana:

That doesn't appear to be your PHs' driver's license in his hand when speaking to the police :cool::A Banana:
That's the "right" kind of drivers license. :D
Universally accepted all over Africa and much of the rest of the world.
Never expires. :ROFLMAO:

That's the "right" kind of drivers license. :D
Universally accepted all over Africa and much of the rest of the world.
Never expires. :ROFLMAO:

Unless issued in Zimbabwe a few years back.

Day Eight - Though End

Hunting is officially over, which is always a sad day for a trip to Africa. I've gotten what I came for though, and then some. We did check water points and roads in the morning and there are elephants all around, as we heard last night. One of the tracks we found was very large, much bigger than the one I shot. I'd love to see the size of that bull....

The rest of the day was spent watching for game by the water hole, sometime I never tire of. I was rewarded several times, including a very nice Sable. Now he shows up! LOL! The highlight though was getting to see the cheetahs that is missed earlier in the trip.

DSC01892.JPG

DSC01905.JPG

DSC01903.JPG

After that, the trip included goin back to Umguza to see the tusks, then to Bulawayo for some souvenir shopping and I bought a pair of Courtneys. I was sorely tempted to get elephant hide, but ended up with buffalo. They were a heck of a lot cheaper than here!

DSC01943.JPG

Elephant shoulder stew being cooked.

DSC01935.JPG

Sudza is great. I actually liked it better than grits amd I love grits. The mealy meal it's made out of looks just like fine wheat flout, but is of course corn. I regretted not having Sudza the last time I was in Zim, so I'm glad I got to make up for it.

DSC01933.JPG

DSC01931.JPG

And a couple of beautiful birds at lunch.

DSC01938.JPG

DSC01940.JPG

Now finally, my impression of Zimbabwe. I've been three times now and the people are wonderful, all of them. corrupt government and police, but the people are wonderful. They are also survivors. They have to be or they wouldn't still be there. I have the utmost respect for them all. The economy is a mess, destroyed and getting worse by the day. that's not a figure of speech. There was a marked and noticeable difference between the time I got there and the time I left. there was no diesel outside of Bulawayo and very little in Bulawayo. Cooking oil and sugar are hard to find with most stores being out. If you can find it there is a limit of two. There's a cash crunch you see.

Since Zim doesn't produce anything anymore there is nothing to export to bring in cash. And those silly foreign companies insist on cash for goods and won't accept Zim banknotes.... So.... Imported goods including diesel/gas are getting hard to come by. Zim is leaded for another crash. It has the potential to be bad, very bad. I have a feeling it's going to be a rough summer over there. Again though, the people are awesome and I never felt unsafe either in the country, or in Bulawayo. So if you want an adventire in Zim, go, and go as soon as you can. The $$$ is needed by the operators and everyone else.

I don't know when, but I will be back!

20170925_094129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to do something to arrest the slide into the pit.

2019 is a ways off yet!

Royal, thank you so much sir for taking us along your wonderful trip! WOW!!!!! Also, happy birthday sir! Turning 50 was great for me as well, as my beautiful wife and I went to Africa for the first time on a plains game safari. She wants to go back, she said that I have more wall space to fill. LOL!!!! Again, congrats on a once of a life time adventure! (y)(y)(y)

Royal, thank you so much sir for taking us along your wonderful trip! WOW!!!!! Also, happy birthday sir! Turning 50 was great for me as well, as my beautiful wife and I went to Africa for the first time on a plains game safari. She wants to go back, she said that I have more wall space to fill. LOL!!!! Again, congrats on a once of a life time adventure! (y)(y)(y)

Thanks!

It's been fun to share the adventure. And I plan on being back, God willing. I was only going to go once, and I've been on four Safaris now.
I'm truly blessed.

Get back as often as you can afford!

What a great trip! Glad you were able to fulfill a life long dream!

Wow, What an exciting trip. Hunting in the dark is a different experience for sure. It seems like all your senses are at their extreme as you strain to hear, smell and see everything around you. I can only imagine, through your telling of your story, what it must be like to hunt something as big and dangerous as elephant at night. And then being surrounded by hyenas and hearing them all around and getting closer. What a rush. Congrats on your elephant, sable and hyena, a dream hunt come true. How long will it be before you are walking with your feet on the ground again? Hope to see ya'll at the AH dinner at DSC. Well done. Philip

Congrats and thanks for a great report

I forgot to ask you, what kind of snake is that you are holding?

Wow, What an exciting trip. Hunting in the dark is a different experience for sure. It seems like all your senses are at their extreme as you strain to hear, smell and see everything around you. I can only imagine, through your telling of your story, what it must be like to hunt something as big and dangerous as elephant at night. And then being surrounded by hyenas and hearing them all around and getting closer. What a rush. Congrats on your elephant, sable and hyena, a dream hunt come true. How long will it be before you are walking with your feet on the ground again? Hope to see ya'll at the AH dinner at DSC. Well done. Philip

Thanks! Its going to take awhile, but work is helping to ground me. LOL! :A Banana Sad:I will definitely be at the diner, so see you there!

I forgot to ask you, what kind of snake is that you are holding?

Some kind of little constrictor, but I forgot the name. Look closely, there are two of them.

I decided to take a calculated risk. I posted about my hunt on FB. I've agonized over this for months. There are a lot of nut job's out there of course.... I don't own a small business, which made the decision a little easier for me, but still not easy. Hunting elephant is such an emotional subject for so many.

I ended up posting because I thought it was that important to do, to stand up, to personally help educate, to be proud to be a hunter. I often preach on AH about the importance of using social media in general and FB specifically in order to have our side heard. I truly believe that we can't win the PR battle without grass roots to educate our personal friends who may not be hunters.

So.... I decided to put my money where my mouth is. So far, all of the feedback has been positive, but I do have non-hunter liberal friends as well. Time will tell!

View attachment 204329

Interestingly enough, the feedback on FB has been overwhelmingly positive. This even with opening the post to the public so it could be seen by all.

I had one negative comment when I changed my profile pic - basically that I had chosen the biggest and slowest target and that it was unsporting and a terrible waste of meat, etc.... I let my "friend" know he was showing his ignorance and he should read my post and do some research before he commented. He made one more comment, but then apparently read my post and realized he'd made himself look really stupid with his second "I was raised to only kill what I will eat" comment and deleted both his posts. It was a good laugh for me.

I know not all of my friends are pro-hunting, but the ones who aren't have stayed quiet. Hopefully I've given them something to think about.

Royal
Thanks for a great report on what sounds like an amazing adventure. I'm truly happy for you, nice birthday present
Jacques

I magnified the picture, and noticed both of them. They seem very docile. I like snakes, so I would have been all over. When we were in SA, we went to a white lion park, and they were looking for a big python. I got involved and helped them out, but never found the snake. By the track it left, it was a big one. LOL!!!! Wife wasn't thrilled about it. oops!

BTW, it is very commendable of you to post your pictures on FB. Glad you've been getting positive reviews. Good on you! (y)(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross