ZIMBABWE: Nyamazana Elephant Hunt - Happy Birthday To Me!

Possibly the worst feeling I have ever had while hunting.

Agree totally.

Everything about hunting an elephant is different. Hunters who have done it can try and explain to you, but until you've actually done it, you don't understand, or at least I couldn't.

I'm absolutely loving this and can't wait to find out the end result! The suspense is killing me!!!... Sure do hope that Wayne and Jenn are able to make DSC this year- Jenn was saying back in March that they were considering it!

Day Three

2:26 am, that's when I woke up with the elephant racing through my mind. Why had he gone so far? Had I pulled my first shot, or missed even? I knew the shot felt good, but doubt creeps in when things don't go down the way they are supposed to, and the elephant hadn't done what he was supposed to.... I did manage to go back to sleep for a bit and was awakened at 4:30 to start the day.

We got back to the spot on the road where the blood was and began to track. It was a smaller group that we were following. Then no blood and only two elephants left. It looked like the wounded bull had peeled off. I wasn't sure if this was a good sign or not and honestly doubt really began to set in. Had I blown that first at a distance of 35-40 yards? It was offhand after all I thought.... Maybe I had flinched.... Maybe I shot too quickly.....

One of the locals who was with is was a retired tracker. He found where the bull had peeled off and we were back on him. We also found liquid that stunk, so knew he was gutshot too. Was it my first shot, I wondered? I was afraid we were in for a very long day.... And when Wayne turned and semi jokingly said, "We may have another @Wheels on our hands" I kinda laughed and kinda cringed. I'm just glad that Bob can take a joke. ;) Not long after that though we found three spots where the bull had stopped and milled all within maybe 200 yards and all were so obvious that no one had to tell me what had happened. I began to feel markedly better very quickly. The bull had obviously slowed down.

Then suddenly there was noise of the bull crashing through the brush, and close, maybe 20 yards. In additon to tne crashing ing noise i coud see the ocaasional tree tnat was taller than the rest thrashing as the elephant bumped into it. That will get your attention I promise you! Then nothing. Then more crashing as the bull made a little semi circle and came back to face us. I could see the back only at first and then the head as he turned straight towards us. The bull flared his ears and it at least felt as if he was staring straight at me and no one else. I've seen elephants, a young bull and a cow, flare their ears before, but it was NOTHING like this. A pissed off and wounded Bull Elephant 15 yards or less in front of me. My rifle was up and ready. Here was the problem though, Wayne wasn't yet 100% sure it was my bull. I asked "can I shoot?" and had to endure several moments of silence before I heard "shoot." It was an eternity I assure you. My rifle went off almost instantly and Wayne's rifle went off just after. I saw the head throw back and straight down he went. Wayne believed that the bull was going to charge when we shot. As in he felt the bull had made the decision to come when our rifles went off, that close to a charge.

The bull was dead. The brain shots hit him on the same level and inches apart. As we walked up the back leg was twitching and the trunk has curled, all of the classic signs. I was relieved to say the least. I went up and touched my ivory. The first human to touch it. I can't believe how blessed I am to have had this experience. It was truly moving in a way I will not even try to describe. I will leave it at that. Pictures were taken and the tail cut off. I was truly humbled.

IMG-20170920-WA0032.jpg

DSC01705.JPG

DSC01682.JPG

The bull had fallen on its left side, but there on the right was the exit wound from my first shot, right on tne shoulder. Later when the bull was turned over tne entrace wound was right on the crease where I was aimong. The shot had been good. The bullet passed through both lungs and clipped the heart and somehow this amazing animal didn't die within 100 yards as he was supposed to! He made it somewhere between a mile and a mile and a half and still was ready to have one last fight when we got there. My hip shot was good as well, probably five inches to the left of where I intended but right in line. The third shot was middle of body, again as I thought. All three of Wayne's shots hit as well. So that bull survived 11 hours after absorbing 3000 grains of bullet. Simply amazing. I hate for animal to suffer, and especially an elephant, but I'd placed the first shot exactly where it needed to be. I couldn't have done anything else. It just happened. How the bull survived that first shot alone I will never know.

We walked back to the truck and by the time we got there I'd guess there were 20 or more villagers at the truck. Word of an elephant being shot travels fast. This was another part of the experience that I'd looked forward to and that exceeded expectation. I don't know how many villagers were there in total, but it was something over 100 people for sure. It was a big party. The dynamics were interesting. Some came with knifes and went right to work, others sat down and waited for the meat to be cut so they could simply take some. One man was even self designated to tell where the meat should be laid (branches had been cut and laid down, it wasn't rocket science). Others dug a pit and built a fire. Meat was placed directly on the wood and cooked quickly. I had to have me some of that. :) One of the villagers asked me if I'd like some salt? Yes please. And oh crap does that hot meat burn your fingers! It was pretty good and although tough, not nearly as tough as I thought it would be. I'm also still not sure if the grit was sand or ash, but it added to the experience either way. I enjoyed every second of it including the young boy who was staring at me like he couldn't believe what I was doing. What? You've never seen a white man eating elephant off the ground with the locals before??? LOL!

20170918_112752.jpg

20170918_112604.jpg

20170918_100704.jpg

By the time we left the crowd had dwindled to something less than 20 people, mostly women who were working on the tripe. Everything else was gone. Everything. Rib cage, femurs, you name it. At the end of the day it was stomach content and a wet spot. That's it. I've read of this entire scene before and have even seen a time lapse video, but it's truly something you have to experience yourself and I highly recommend it! :) I think the best part was knowing I'd helped people who needed it by providing them with some great protein in a large quantity.It wasn't sold on the meat market as it might have been in SA, it was used to help and to build future goodwill with the community. Pretty cool stuff in my opinion.

DSC01712.JPG

20170918_110705.jpg

What a day! I have hunted elephant...

There are two hunting days that I think will always be different than all of the others. Both times brought tears to my eyes.One was my buffalo, special for many very personal reasons that I've only shared with a few. Then, there was today. Wayne summed it up nicely this morning. He said, "You shot an elephant. That's a big deal." Wayne is right, it's an elephant and that is all that needs to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an amazing hunt! Congratulations and thank you for sharing the story with us.

:A Clapping: And what a :S Hbd:

.... And when Wayne turned and semi jokingly said, "We may have another @Wheels on our hands" I kinda laughed and kinda cringed. I'm just glad that Bob can take a joke. ;) .

It's nice to be known for something. I guess..........

Others dug a pit and built a fire. Meat was placed directly on the wood and cooked quickly. I had to have me some of that. :) .

As you should have. As you deserved.

I went up and touched my ivory. The first human to touch it. I can't believe how blessed I am to have had this experience. It was truly moving in a way I will not even try to describe..

+1 (y)

Wayne summed it up nicely this morning. He said, "You shot an elephant. That's a big deal." Wayne is right, it's an elephant and that is all that needs to be said.

Absolutely!

Congratulations. I am truly happy for you!

Royal just awesome my friend.

Any particular advice for practice attire?

I feel somewhat drained emotionally.

I can only imagine how you feet/felt.

Hope to talk soon!

Awesome man! Really enjoyed reading your story, brought back a lot of good memories! There is nothing quite like it! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!!!

Congrats and all the best! Even though I knew the outcome, it was a well thought out post and you expressed yourself well. Emotions are raw when it comes to the larger animals, especially the ones as old as us. I especially liked the chicken pictures, when I was there I bought 2 for the camp staff. They were trapping rats for protein while I was eating steak. I just couldn't handle that. Well done!

Super! Fantastic, happy for you. I hope to find a way on day to do an elephant hunt. Congratulations.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear after you told us of the shot. Congrats Sir!! Well done!!

Now you get to enjoy the remainder of the trip doing whatever you want with the pure joy and satisfaction of what you have done on your mind. Enjoy.

Awesome, congrats bud!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross