ZIMBABWE: Ngurungundu

Scope the rifle Kevin...I scoped my .470 with a red dot Leupold....makes a hole lot of difference..

Sticks, Heaven or Hell?
Sounds like great hunt took place.
Just love the fact that you are able to take your own Land Rover as well as the super nice camp gear with you. Must make it a extra special experience. Best of luck on your adventure and may Diana smile upon you all. Being a nostalgic as well, it’s nice to see your trademark pith and the leather liquor box. Well done.

JP

@Kevin Peacocke - what can I say. A classy rifle, a wonderful outing, buddies, great writing, and not a single sartorial faux pas throughout it all. What's not to like? Extra pats on the back for using Opinels.

@zephyr - I think that if you like doubles and your eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago, there's absolutely nothing wrong with outfitting the rifle with optics. I have a scope on my 1925 single shot as well as my brand new Chapuis Iphisi double and I love the setup. I'm sure Kevin will make the right choice.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it!

If your going to scope a Double might as well have bought a Bolt Gun
Why? With or without an optic the double has the same advantages: fast follow up, compact travel, looks awesome, makes Kevin smile.

Don't be one-size-fits-all.

Personally I would only use Iron sights. Until I shoot it, and can't see shit. Then I would put a dot on it. Can completely see that happening.

Thanks for taking us along enjoyed as usual.

Another awesome adventure and hunt report Kevin. Thanks for sharing your experience and keeping the dream alive for many of us hunting a Cape Buffalo someday.

It's just the first dance with Ngurungundu, you'll be out on the dance floor soon enough.
Thanks for sharing the inaugural adventure.

I hear you loud and clear my friend, if only I could see that loud and clear! My first port of call will be the opticians to see if some specs will clear things up. I love the classic lines of the double, but I need to be able to shoot her well, so if the specs fail, the dot it is.

I don’t agree with this at all. The first and most important obligation as a hunter is to ensure an ethical shot on the game you pursue, to Gary it the respect of a quick death. Looks come secondary to that. Adding a scope or red dot to a double changes it from a rifle that is more distance/precision challenged into a more capable platform.

That is to say, this can be done with taste, mounting a 56mm objective scope on it is just not necessary, while the first mount for the red dot that Kevin showed is indeed not optimal. A good compromise between functionality and looks can be found.

Is a ghost ring (set as far back as possible) an option?

That was a significant improvement for me back when I did a fair amount of shooting with irons. Even into my late 50s. Shooting glasses with the distance lens set high enough for proper head position on the stock stock is ctitical as well (duh).

But the sad truth is old eyes just cannot focus on three points simultaneously.

Very nice report!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Congrats on your pig and taking it with that gorgeous double!!

Great report Kevin. Let us know what sight option you end up with.

BEST sight option? Eye surgery with multi focal lens. Shoot iron sights just like I was 25 now. I’m 62. Best $$ ever spent.

Shootist is giving you good advice. Try a ghost ring. My eyes up close aren’t what they used to be. My favorite and working rifle sports a leaf back sight and a peep. I can’t use the leaf at distance anywhere near as well as the peep. Just trust your brain and eyes and focus on the front sight they will naturally center the front sight in the ring. People who can’t shoot them well get hung up with the ring. A sight like that will preserve those wonderful lines.

Wonderful report @Kevin Peacocke ! Thank you for sharing and congrats on first blood for the double!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg