ZIMBABWE: Ngurungundu

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
Scope the rifle Kevin...I scoped my .470 with a red dot Leupold....makes a hole lot of difference..

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Sticks, Heaven or Hell?
Sounds like great hunt took place.
Just love the fact that you are able to take your own Land Rover as well as the super nice camp gear with you. Must make it a extra special experience. Best of luck on your adventure and may Diana smile upon you all. Being a nostalgic as well, it’s nice to see your trademark pith and the leather liquor box. Well done.

JP

Tom Leoni

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Africa, Canada, Europe
@Kevin Peacocke - what can I say. A classy rifle, a wonderful outing, buddies, great writing, and not a single sartorial faux pas throughout it all. What's not to like? Extra pats on the back for using Opinels.

@zephyr - I think that if you like doubles and your eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago, there's absolutely nothing wrong with outfitting the rifle with optics. I have a scope on my 1925 single shot as well as my brand new Chapuis Iphisi double and I love the setup. I'm sure Kevin will make the right choice.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it!

RTG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, NSSF, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Estonia, Zimbabwe, USA: AZ, ND, SD, WY
If your going to scope a Double might as well have bought a Bolt Gun
Why? With or without an optic the double has the same advantages: fast follow up, compact travel, looks awesome, makes Kevin smile.

Don't be one-size-fits-all.

Personally I would only use Iron sights. Until I shoot it, and can't see shit. Then I would put a dot on it. Can completely see that happening.

cls

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Thanks for taking us along enjoyed as usual.

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
Another awesome adventure and hunt report Kevin. Thanks for sharing your experience and keeping the dream alive for many of us hunting a Cape Buffalo someday.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
It's just the first dance with Ngurungundu, you'll be out on the dance floor soon enough.
Thanks for sharing the inaugural adventure.

Kevin Peacocke

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I hear you loud and clear my friend, if only I could see that loud and clear! My first port of call will be the opticians to see if some specs will clear things up. I love the classic lines of the double, but I need to be able to shoot her well, so if the specs fail, the dot it is.

VertigoBE

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa

I don’t agree with this at all. The first and most important obligation as a hunter is to ensure an ethical shot on the game you pursue, to Gary it the respect of a quick death. Looks come secondary to that. Adding a scope or red dot to a double changes it from a rifle that is more distance/precision challenged into a more capable platform.

That is to say, this can be done with taste, mounting a 56mm objective scope on it is just not necessary, while the first mount for the red dot that Kevin showed is indeed not optimal. A good compromise between functionality and looks can be found.

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Is a ghost ring (set as far back as possible) an option?

That was a significant improvement for me back when I did a fair amount of shooting with irons. Even into my late 50s. Shooting glasses with the distance lens set high enough for proper head position on the stock stock is ctitical as well (duh).

But the sad truth is old eyes just cannot focus on three points simultaneously.

degoins

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Very nice report!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Congrats on your pig and taking it with that gorgeous double!!

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Great report Kevin. Let us know what sight option you end up with.

Flipper Dude

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
BEST sight option? Eye surgery with multi focal lens. Shoot iron sights just like I was 25 now. I’m 62. Best $$ ever spent.

Vintageguy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Shootist is giving you good advice. Try a ghost ring. My eyes up close aren’t what they used to be. My favorite and working rifle sports a leaf back sight and a peep. I can’t use the leaf at distance anywhere near as well as the peep. Just trust your brain and eyes and focus on the front sight they will naturally center the front sight in the ring. People who can’t shoot them well get hung up with the ring. A sight like that will preserve those wonderful lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarveyGarcia

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Hey everyone..rookie mistake here. Packing to leave tomorrow and I have no idea JNB policy for bringing I cigarettes. Yes I know a smoker, plan on taking 4 cartons if able. Any advice please. Will be greeted by Mr X to ease custom’s hassle. Thanks in advance !
Hi,

Glade to hear from you and that you have kept me in mind.

I hope all is well and the hunting has been good.

Everything is fairly good.

The 2 fellows that I had lined up for this great hunt opportunity have backed out.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new house and having knee surgery, or surgeries depending on the left knee MRI, hopefully I can get back to Africa as early as 2024.
I'm concerned about Australia's indigenous species that are being killed by feral cats. Is anyone aware of any hunts I can joining to go to Australia to take a few shots at feral cats.
Jonathan Gurley wrote on IdahoMo's profile.
Hey Idaho. how many rounds is there thru the 458 win mag
MARTIN PIETERS SAFARIS wrote on Cajun Hunter's profile.
Morning my what’s app is +263778121842 martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com we can look at open dates
Thanks
Martin