txsouthpaw

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Zambia, Alaska, British Columbia, Argentina
I discovered yesterday that Zimbabwe enacted, effective August 7, new Covid-19 policies. One is that they are incorporating the African Union (AU), Trusted Travel Initiative that requires uploading test results onto their mobile platform. In addition, due to the new Covid variants, they are requiring a 10 day quarantine upon entry and multiple Covid testing during the quarantine (in addition to testing prior to leaving Zimbabwe). I’m 3 weeks from leaving from DFW to Harare and this new information is very concerning to say the least. Even assuming you could quarantine in hunting camp, how can you test on the 3rd, 5th, and 10th day from there? What if it’s only a 7 day hunt? I encourage anyone who is hunting Zimbabwe in the near future to go the Zimbabwe embassy website, review this information, and discuss implications with your travel agent & outfitter.

ANY information Africa Hunting members and guests relative to this would be greatly appreciated.

1628432800992.png

Very concerning. I’m leaving in 17 days for a hunt in Dande. I’ll ping Gracey and the outfitter and let everyone know what I learn.

Their new case rate is dropping too. Hard to understand how this doesn’t shut down their tourist industry.

Well, I am the guinea pig then. Just boarded at IAD for Addis, on to Harare. Should be in Harare around noon on Monday. If I have a chance I will give an update. Fingers crossed.

Well, I am the guinea pig then. Just boarded at IAD for Addis, on to Harare. Should be in Harare around noon on Monday. If I have a chance I will give an update. Fingers crossed.
good travels and happy hunting @VonJager, let us know how it went!

Thanks for your reply, and we all appreciate your feedback once you’re on the ground in Harare. This entire Covid issue is a total cluster and everyone is longing to get back to a sense of “normalcy“ once this thing runs it’s course.

Thanks for your reply, and we all appreciate your feedback once you’re on the ground in Harare. This entire Covid issue is a total cluster and everyone is longing to get back to a sense of “normalcy“ once this thing runs it’s course.
If it ever does! It has already lasted nearly as long as the Spanish Flu outbreak, which killed many more people here and around the world.
Good luck to all those willing to put up with all these inconveniences to travel.

... In addition, due to the new Covid variants, they are requiring a 10 day quarantine upon entry and multiple Covid testing during the quarantine ...

Please kindly explain if I am wrong, but it is my interpretation that the US embassy in Zimbabwe is not saying this as a blanket statement applying to all arrivals.

The new requirement starting on Aug 7 is:
If the traveler is entering from a country that is not part of the Trusted Travel Initiative, the traveler will upload their negative COVID-19 test result to org(account creation required). A Travel Code will then be generated for travel.

The section about quarantine and regular tests is dated from June 29, 2021, and its key operating words are: "To date, the Government of Zimbabwe has not defined which countries it identifies as countries with these variants."
  • An update to the government regulations to contain the spread of COVID-19, effective June 29, 2021, states that travelers arriving to Zimbabwe from countries where the Alpha and Delta variants of COVID-19 are prevalent or on the increase, or those who transited such countries en route to Zimbabwe, will be quarantined at government appointed facilities at the traveler’s expense, regardless of the result of the COVID-19 test obtained prior to travel.
  • These travelers will be tested for COVID-19 within the first 48 hours of arrival, and on the third, fifth, and tenth days of quarantine, at the traveler’s expense. If found to be positive, they will be taken to a government isolation center.
  • To date, the Government of Zimbabwe has not defined which countries it identifies as countries with these variants.
It is therefore my conclusions that the only new requirement is to create an account and upload the negative COVID-19 test result to https://login.panabios.org/cas/login?service=https://trustedtravel.panabios.org/accounts/login/?next=%2F

1628453370040.png

Just my $0.02 :)

See here under the US Embassy complete info. To be noted that the US Embassy does not make the rules and could possibly have misinterpreted the Zimbabwe Government rules, but this is unlikely...

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
    • Starting August 7, 2021, 2021, the Government of Zimbabwe requires all new arrivals and departures to and from the country to present a negative COVID-19 test on the Trusted Travel Initiative Platform.
    • The Trusted Travel Initiative is a platform created by the African Union, Africa CDC and other partners to facilitate COVID-19 test authentication. Travelers can learn more about the Trusted Traveler platform at the Africa CDC website.
    • Travelers intending to depart Zimbabwe must use one of the following Trusted Travel accredited laboratories:
      • Matabeleland South
        • Beit bridge district hospital
        • Gwanda provincial hospital
      • Matabeleland North
        • Lupane Hospital
        • Bio express lab Victoria Falls
      • Midlands
        • Gweru provincial Hospital
      • Masvingo
        • Masvingo provincial hospital
        • Collin Saunders memorial hospital
        • Gutu mission hospital
      • Mashonaland west
        • Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital
      • Mashonaland East
        • Marondera Provincial Hospital
      • Mashonaland Central
        • Bindura Provincial hospital
      • Manicaland
        • Victoria Chitepo Provincial Hospital
      • Harare
        • Bio Express Labs(PVT)
        • CIMAS MEDLABS
        • Lancet Clinical Laboratories
        • National Microbiology Reference Laboratory
        • National TB reference Laboratory
        • Parirenyatwa Central Hospital
        • Sally Mugabe Central Hospital
        • United Nations Clinic
      • Bulawayo
        • United Bulawayo hospital laboratory
        • Mpilo hospital laboratory
      • Chitungwiza
        • Chitungwiza Central Hospital
  • If the traveler uses an authorized Trusted Traveler laboratory in the country of departure for their COVID-19 PCR test, they will get a Trusted Travel code from the laboratory where the test was performed. You must create an account at panabios.org. This is where your results will be uploaded.
  • If the traveler is entering from a country that is not part of the Trusted Travel Initiative, the traveler will upload their negative COVID-19 test result to org(account creation required). A Travel Code will then be generated for travel. Technical concerns may be directed to the dedicated support teams reachable via globalhaven@panabios.org.
    • Persons without a test result or displaying COVID-19 symptoms may be denied entry or detained until they can be tested for COVID-19.
    • If tested and found to be positive, travelers may be detained a government facility for 14 days.
    • Use of the Trusted Traveler Platform of approved labs is required for departure from Zimbabwe, even if your destination is not part of the platform. The Trusted Travel system will verify your results against the entry requirements for your destination.
  • An update to the government regulations to contain the spread of COVID-19, effective June 29, 2021, states that travelers arriving to Zimbabwe from countries where the Alpha and Delta variants of COVID-19 are prevalent or on the increase, or those who transited such countries en route to Zimbabwe, will be quarantined at government appointed facilities at the traveler’s expense, regardless of the result of the COVID-19 test obtained prior to travel.
  • These travelers will be tested for COVID-19 within the first 48 hours of arrival, and on the third, fifth, and tenth days of quarantine, at the traveler’s expense. If found to be positive, they will be taken to a government isolation center.
  • To date, the Government of Zimbabwe has not defined which countries it identifies as countries with these variants.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
  • U.S. citizens can obtain information about renewing or extending visas at the Department of Immigration Control website.
  • Also see “Quarantine Information” below.

Last edited:
I Just returned Monday from Zim. Nothing new happening there that even looked like this. Several portable covid testing booths in the airport but were not manned. Just present a negative covid test on arrival, have a covid test before you leave, show paper (or electronic) most wanted to see paper copy. Make extra copies, they want to keep one. Let your outfitter schedule your test for you, mine came to the B&b I was at and did the cheek swab kind. results in 2 hours. Zimbabwe is like so many other nations, pass edicts and policies but the locals don't know what they are or care. Again, use your travel agent for up to date information.

I keep using google news to decide if I need to talk to outfitter when I see these. I type in Zimbabwe covid as the search term probably every other day. That’s what I did when I saw this and saw no new changes. Whenever something new is implemented there will be a bunch of new articles.

Please kindly explain if I am wrong, but it is my interpretation that the US embassy in Zimbabwe is not saying this as a blanket statement applying to all arrivals.

The new requirement starting on Aug 7 is:
If the traveler is entering from a country that is not part of the Trusted Travel Initiative, the traveler will upload their negative COVID-19 test result to org(account creation required). A Travel Code will then be generated for travel.

The section about quarantine and regular tests is dated from June 29, 2021, and its key operating words are: "To date, the Government of Zimbabwe has not defined which countries it identifies as countries with these variants."
It is therefore my conclusions that the only new requirement is to create an account and upload the negative COVID-19 test result to https://login.panabios.org/cas/login?service=https://trustedtravel.panabios.org/accounts/login/?next=%2F

View attachment 417367

Just my $0.02 :)

See here under the US Embassy complete info. To be noted that the US Embassy does not make the rules and could possibly have misinterpreted the Zimbabwe Government rules, but this is unlikely...

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
    • Starting August 7, 2021, 2021, the Government of Zimbabwe requires all new arrivals and departures to and from the country to present a negative COVID-19 test on the Trusted Travel Initiative Platform.
    • The Trusted Travel Initiative is a platform created by the African Union, Africa CDC and other partners to facilitate COVID-19 test authentication. Travelers can learn more about the Trusted Traveler platform at the Africa CDC website.
    • Travelers intending to depart Zimbabwe must use one of the following Trusted Travel accredited laboratories:
      • Matabeleland South
        • Beit bridge district hospital
        • Gwanda provincial hospital
      • Matabeleland North
        • Lupane Hospital
        • Bio express lab Victoria Falls
      • Midlands
        • Gweru provincial Hospital
      • Masvingo
        • Masvingo provincial hospital
        • Collin Saunders memorial hospital
        • Gutu mission hospital
      • Mashonaland west
        • Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital
      • Mashonaland East
        • Marondera Provincial Hospital
      • Mashonaland Central
        • Bindura Provincial hospital
      • Manicaland
        • Victoria Chitepo Provincial Hospital
      • Harare
        • Bio Express Labs(PVT)
        • CIMAS MEDLABS
        • Lancet Clinical Laboratories
        • National Microbiology Reference Laboratory
        • National TB reference Laboratory
        • Parirenyatwa Central Hospital
        • Sally Mugabe Central Hospital
        • United Nations Clinic
      • Bulawayo
        • United Bulawayo hospital laboratory
        • Mpilo hospital laboratory
      • Chitungwiza
        • Chitungwiza Central Hospital
  • If the traveler uses an authorized Trusted Traveler laboratory in the country of departure for their COVID-19 PCR test, they will get a Trusted Travel code from the laboratory where the test was performed. You must create an account at panabios.org. This is where your results will be uploaded.
  • If the traveler is entering from a country that is not part of the Trusted Travel Initiative, the traveler will upload their negative COVID-19 test result to org(account creation required). A Travel Code will then be generated for travel. Technical concerns may be directed to the dedicated support teams reachable via globalhaven@panabios.org.
    • Persons without a test result or displaying COVID-19 symptoms may be denied entry or detained until they can be tested for COVID-19.
    • If tested and found to be positive, travelers may be detained a government facility for 14 days.
    • Use of the Trusted Traveler Platform of approved labs is required for departure from Zimbabwe, even if your destination is not part of the platform. The Trusted Travel system will verify your results against the entry requirements for your destination.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
  • U.S. citizens can obtain information about renewing or extending visas at the Department of Immigration Control website.
  • Also see “Quarantine Information” below.
Feeling better. I’ve never been so ready to board a plane and fly 18 hours in my life!

Too bad we cant just step into the transporter on the Enterprise and in a few seconds of trilling noises and bright lights, you're there!o_Oo_O:A Banana:

Just returned to the US from Bulawayo on August 6. Had my pcr test done at the local hospital, with negative results the next day . No issues at either Zimbabwe or JNB. In Bulawayo there were a lot of people being tested and it appears they are taking this seriously. Unfortunately people have to pay $20 for a rapid test and $60 for a PCR test - which is money most people do not have. Trust your outfitter for up to date info and guidance. Shoot straight.

I heard from Gracy this morning:

"At this time there is nothing official on that regard:

Here is what is listed for Covid protocol in Zimbabwe at this time:

Passengers without a printed negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued at most 48 hours before departure from the first embarkation point are subject to a PCR test and quarantine upon arrival."

This is news to us. Our last client is a 747 pilot (mostly cargo) he stays on top of everything. I know he checked the latest official news and there was nothing new.

I strongly that anyone traveling to Africa stay in touch with your travel agent and I do recommend using a travel agent specializing in Africa for hunters. Also stay in touch with your outfitter!

Relax and enjoy the lead up to your hunt!

I am leaving for a hunt on the 18th and I think this is all bogus. My outfitter is from Zimbabwe with many contacts on the ground there has been checking and as far as we can tell the situation is unchanged. As noted above the Covid pre-testing requirement is the same.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think this is a nonissue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you