Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Altnough related to the below thread I thought this was important enough to post separately, especially now that the lift of the ban has made the mainstream news.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/elephant-imports-now-allowed-from-zimbabwe-zambia.40929/

I've only had time to scan the paper so far but there are some interesting fact in here:
  • Current ele population - over 80k
  • 1900 population - 4k
  • Current population at 2x the 1980s suggested carrying capacity, based on range at that time
  • Hwange ele population at 3.02 per km Sq
  • Loss of Woody plants and reduction in diversity of birds and invertebrates and begin at .3 ele per square km

Attached is the actual plan that got the ban lifted.

I'm sure there are many more great facts to use in the paper. Post them as you find them!

Attachments

• ZIMBABWE-ELEPHANT-MANAGEMENT-PLAN-APPROVED-FINAL-1.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 598
Screenshot_20171116-204756.png

That is a great read, thanks! It's a history lesson, and a reality check. A lot of great ideas, but an identified lack of resources!

One interesting point, is the consumptive value of elephant is enough to help support its species and others.

That is a great read, thanks! It's a history lesson, and a reality check. A lot of great ideas, but an identified lack of resources!

One interesting point, is the consumptive value of elephant is enough to help support its species and others.

Agree and you're welcome!

The plan was truly well thought out. Hopefully it can be at least relatively well implemented. They have two more years effectively....

USFWS didn't have much choice other than to lift the ban, or to just say "We don't believe anything that Zim says," which is of course what a Hillary led team would have done.

It's funny, I had a friend tell me that a friend of theirs blamed Trump for the ban being lifted. My response was that I thought Trump was responsible too. It' all about perspective!

If only Botswana will get rid of Khama and open up elephant hunting again..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg