Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Altnough related to the below thread I thought this was important enough to post separately, especially now that the lift of the ban has made the mainstream news.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/elephant-imports-now-allowed-from-zimbabwe-zambia.40929/

I've only had time to scan the paper so far but there are some interesting fact in here:
  • Current ele population - over 80k
  • 1900 population - 4k
  • Current population at 2x the 1980s suggested carrying capacity, based on range at that time
  • Hwange ele population at 3.02 per km Sq
  • Loss of Woody plants and reduction in diversity of birds and invertebrates and begin at .3 ele per square km

Attached is the actual plan that got the ban lifted.

I'm sure there are many more great facts to use in the paper. Post them as you find them!

Attachments

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Screenshot_20171116-204756.png

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
That is a great read, thanks! It's a history lesson, and a reality check. A lot of great ideas, but an identified lack of resources!

One interesting point, is the consumptive value of elephant is enough to help support its species and others.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
That is a great read, thanks! It's a history lesson, and a reality check. A lot of great ideas, but an identified lack of resources!

One interesting point, is the consumptive value of elephant is enough to help support its species and others.
Agree and you're welcome!

The plan was truly well thought out. Hopefully it can be at least relatively well implemented. They have two more years effectively....

USFWS didn't have much choice other than to lift the ban, or to just say "We don't believe anything that Zim says," which is of course what a Hillary led team would have done.

It's funny, I had a friend tell me that a friend of theirs blamed Trump for the ban being lifted. My response was that I thought Trump was responsible too. It' all about perspective!

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
If only Botswana will get rid of Khama and open up elephant hunting again..

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.