Zimbabwe: Mugabe unhappy with white professional hunters, over 1000 ZANU-PF youths to be trained

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
PRESIDENT Mugabe is unhappy that professional hunting remains in the hands of white people hence ZANU-PF aims to train over 1000 youths in that area, politburo secretary for youth Pupurai Togarepi has said.

Togarepi said this to youths undergoing professional hunting training in Harare, Wednesday. He said the program will see some youths sent to Kenya for further training.

“President Mugabe bemoaned the fact that professional hunting remains in the hands of white people who are affluent. He said why don’t we go in, look after our animals and if we have to hunt them for financial resources, why don’t we do it as Zimbabweans.

“Many of the conservation activities that are done in Africa are sponsored from Europe and America. How can they tell us to conserve our animals and yet if you look closely they do not have animals except in the zoo,” said Togarepi.

“So, why don’t we trade ourselves and then professionally look after our animals and then productively get resources that can improve our economy ourselves.”

Togarepi claimed that white people who control the industry had priced most Zimbabweans out by pegging training at a staggering $30,000.

“This is an empowerment drive, why can’t we empower the youths. This is the first stage and you will move through different stages.
“We hope as you get into this trade you are not going to be corrupt like those who connived with the white man from America (Lion Cecil killer Walter Palmer).

“We are not training criminals here; we are training contributors to our economy, so we expect that after this course, you should be principled, professional and informed about conservations of wildlife,” the ZANU-PF youth leader said.

Thousands of ZANU-PF activists are known to have invaded most of the country’s world acclaimed wild-life sanctuaries turning them into desolate jungles after hunting down almost all the animals.
Togarepi said youths should be grateful to Mugabe and must stay away from ZANU-PF factional fights and succession wars.

“If anyone says follow my orders because I was appointed by the President don’t listen. Within our revolution, there are people who are there to destroy the revolution and if you are not careful you will miss the point by following the pretenders.

I am wondering what this will do for the current PH's in Zimbabwe.

Will some current License holders have their PH license's canceled or not renewed.

“Many of the conservation activities that are done in Africa are sponsored from Europe and America. How can they tell us to conserve our animals and yet if you look closely they do not have animals except in the zoo,” said Togarepi.

Umm I was unaware that all these deer, hogs, turkey, doves, raccoon's, opossums, coyote, squirrels, rabbits and bobcats I have been shooting were actually in a zoo.o_O

Sad to think whats going to happen when the men who are doing such a good job now are replaced by the groups who have been poisoning the elephants over a pay dispute. I hope that somehow corruption does not destroy the hunting treasure that is Zimbabwe.

How many of this group might have the smallest chance of passing the Zim PH, or even guide course which I think is probably the most comprehensive - and challenging - on the planet? It costs a lot because there is a ton of training involved.
Do you want to be the guy in the bush with a "PH" who you may not have 100% confidence in? I think not. Ergo, the business either stays with the good, highly respected PH's - who may be white but not necessarily so - or it just disappears completely. What good does that do?
These guys who come up with these crazy plans have somehow got to overcome the institutional racism which predicates their every - unthoughtful - move.

PRESIDENT Mugabe is unhappy that professional hunting remains in the hands of white people hence .....

“President Mugabe bemoaned the fact that professional hunting remains in the hands of white people who are affluent.

Any day you can make Mugabe unhappy is a great day in my book.

Any day you can make Mugabe bemoaned is an even better day.

Three cheers to the professional hunting community of Zimbabwe who made Mugabe unhappy!

Three more cheers to all those affluent white people in Zimbabwe who made Mugabe bemoan!

What a fantastic start to the weekend. It doesn't get any better than this.:D

Enjoy(y)

:D Beers:

This is not a rational decision. We will not be able to comprehend his decisions. Conversely he will never comprehend the consequences that will surely accompany his decision.

it amazes me that mugabe hasnt already had his hand in the monies that the safari business brings into zim.most companies have American bank accounts anyway.i believe it takes about 5 years for a p.h. to qualify for a full license. what this clown is proposing is not going to happen.in far less than 5 years zim and its wildlife and safari business will be nothing but a memory. MUGABE NEEDS TO GET DEAD.!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about this article. It is just this weeks empty promises.

Togarepi said this to youths undergoing professional hunting training in Harare, Wednesday.

Really, they are doing their professional hunting training in Harare. Not the bush. Unfortunately Don Heath died this week. He might have gotten a chuckle out of that one.

Togarepi ............... He said the program will see some youths sent to Kenya for further training.

Seriously, training in a country that hasn't had hunting for 37 years. This Togarepi didn't even do research to make the lie seem plausible.

Togarepi said youths should be grateful to Mugabe and must stay away from ZANU-PF factional fights and succession wars.

“If anyone says follow my orders because I was appointed by the President don’t listen. Within our revolution, there are people who are there to destroy the revolution and if you are not careful you will miss the point by following the pretenders.

This is probably the real reason for the article. There is probably more infighting within ZANU PF than us outsiders realize. People are clamoring for power after Mugabi dies. It will be interesting to see who is standing at the end and who is saying "Et tu Brute".

Call me contrary, perhaps, but I really don't see the big issue with what crazy Uncle Bob wants to do. I disagree unequivocally with his rationale (white Zimbabweans are just as much Zimbabweans as black Zimbabweans), but I think it would be good for the long term future of hunting in Zim that there be more local people trained as PH's, and making a living from the hunting industry.

If it really does cost $30,000 to train a PH in Zim (and I see no reason to doubt that number), then providing financial aid to poor blacks is really no different than North American governments providing grants and loans for education, based on means.

What would be a serious issue for me is if they diluted the quality of the training in order to be able to call untrained people PH's. Zimbabwe has the best PH training in Africa, bar none, and as long as they keep it that way, bringing more local, black people into the industry as something other than cooks or trackers seems to make a whole lot of sense to me.

And it can only be good for hunting in the long run.

What worries me is the room for corruption. Don't get me wrong I hope it works out where no one is forced out and the wildlife benefits, but I just see a lot of room for less then savory characters to enter into the hunting areas with a license to hide behind, and destroy what has been protected there.

$30,000 zim dollars? John
Not sure if your being facetious or or not . . . no more Zim dollars, so I assume US$, since that's what they use now.

There is a french saying: "Jamais deux sans trois.".

Loose translation: Never two without three.

We in Canada have just joined you.

I am not a fan of presidential dynasties, republican or especially democrat. We had a little skirmish 239 years ago so we wouldn't have to deal with "Royalty". It doesn't look like we will have to deal with a third Bush but we still have to fade a second Clinton.

Unfortunately you guys up north are having to deal with the same thing we have had to deal with and may have to deal with again.

My Condolences.

I am not a fan of presidential dynasties, republican or especially democrat. We had a little skirmish 239 years ago so we wouldn't have to deal with "Royalty". It doesn't look like we will have to deal with a third Bush but we still have to fade a second Clinton.

Unfortunately you guys up north are having to deal with the same thing we have had to deal with and may have to deal with again.

My Condolences.
Thank you. We are just at the beginning of this run, while you are closer to the end than the beginning. Will hope things go better for you next time!

I saw Canada's election on the news. Liberals destroy everything. We have had 7 years of it. I feel for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross