Zimbabwe/Mozambique Buffalo hunt daily rate 2021-22

uplander01

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, Mozambique, Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Oueen Charlette Isl), USA Rocky Mountain Region, Alaska
Hello All--I am in early stages of planning a trip for next year and would like input on what is considered a normal daily rate for hunting a wilderness area for Buffalo and other plains game in Zimbabwe or Mozambique? I'm sure much of it is dependent on PH outfit, accomodations,etc, but there has got to be some median amount give or take in either direction for a 1x1 buff hunt as the core event. 10-14 days. Just want to gauge wear the base trip cost are going to be and I guess trophy fees are trophy fees based on what and how much you shoot.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Way to many considerations. Some areas are so remote daily rates will be a lot higher.

1x1 with only a buffalo as primary will also push up daily rates.....if you are hunting more animals over the same period makes a big differance...they dont run the camp at half staff for a single client hunting primarily one buffalo...huge costs involved and it is a business after all.....

Making a choice based on daily rate only would be a big mistake....

What are your requirements for the hunt? What is your budget? Base your decision on what you want to hunt, how you want to hunt it, where you want to hunt it get referances do your research and then decide.....

All makes sense. I guess 5 years or so ago when I took my last trip it was similar to what I am looking at now. More or less a buff, eland, and kudo and if thats all I get in 10-12 days hunting the way I would like to hunt, (getting as close as possible) I'd be happy. Reasonably remote not to luxurious camp. I think I paid 950 daily rate for 10 days in 2015 wilderness in Mozambique. Completely understand it cost what it cost, been quoted 1350 daily rate with the outfitter I'm currently talking to in Zimbabwe in particular. Just gauging if that increase over the last 5 year (30-35%) is just what things have evolved into. I'm not a big negotiator, if I like the PH and he's the most expensive but I have a good feel for the situation I'll spend the money within reason.

If I where you I would start a thread here with your requirements and I bet you will get all sponsors on here who will come up with something that will suite your needs....great outfits on this site....

Just ask straight up what you want and sit back and then work through and make your choice...you will get referances straight from here.

I will also urge you to extend your thoughts to Zambia...great wilderness area to hunt....

With the current covid shite there are some amazing deals availible....good luck

It used to be that Zimbabwe day rates were at least double South Africa day rates, and a minimum number of days (7 to 10) was required for buffalo. Offsetting the higher day rates was the generally much lower trophy fees in Zimbabwe and Mozambique. When I first hunted buffalo in Zimbabwe in 2007 the trophy fee was about $3,500 while South Africa was around $12,000 - $15,000.

The South Africa rates have gone down since then, and given the last year, they may have come down far enough that South Africa becomes a huge bargain compared to wilderness areas. Having said that, comparisons can be difficult - in a Benin hunt report (on this site) I compared a Benin hunt with a South African hunt and the conclusion was that the (much) higher day rates in Benin were more than offset by the lower trophy fees (and the more 'glamour game' you shot the bigger the bargain).

The issue then comes down to the type of experience you want. It's difficult to put a price on free-range wild buffalo hunting compared to hunting ranch buffalo, even on the largest fenced properties (and I've done both). Wilderness experiences typically cost more, but in my opinion, are generally well worth it.

In addition to the great info and advice already offered above, I can share a bit of my limited but recent first hand experience in booking hunts to both Zimbabwe and Mozambique. I leave for Mozambique in August to hunt Cape Buffalo and Plains Game.
A day rate of $1350 and trophy fee of $5K is about what I would expect to pay in a very good area with a very good outfitter in either Zim or Moz. I recognize “very good” is subjective terminology.
I am sure you can book a hunt for lower day rates and trophy fee. I think the above referenced prices would be reasonable for a premium hunt in a large wilderness area with the expectation of taking an old, past prime, hard bossed bull and the possibility of finding a 40”+ bull.
Quality of Plains Game would also be a factor in the cost calculation.
Just my opinion, I hope you find it helpful. And best wishes finding the hunt that’s right for you.

Current rate in Zim is about $1,100 per day and $5,500 for buffalo trophy fee for Charlton McCallum safaris for a 7 day hunt. If you include all the taxes, dip and pack etc., you are looking at about $14,500 for the hunt all inclusive.

For 10-14 days the rate most likely won't change and they do have PG available depending on quota and time of the year. Of course, you can do a 10-14 day tuskless elephant plus buffalo as well and tuskless trophy fee is $5,500.

Look at their site, they publish their rates in various time and trophy combinations.

Good day uplander01. I think the explanations above sums it more or less up. If I can perhaps share some detail to explain: you will find that fees in two areas in close proximity might differ, this can be attributed to tender value (normally associated with game availability, trophy quality, roads, water etc). Other contributing factors are the size of concessions where in some instance huge distances are covered in searching for trophies at huge costs. Further, due to locality, some areas might have for instance a malaria risk and in order to ensure a smooth safari, the Outfitter carries additional staff i.e backup trackers, chefs etc. Best of luck with your research and planning

Hunting reports on AfricaHunting.com for Game Trackers Africa:
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-three-generations-hunt-the-selous.45182/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...me-trackers-africa-in-the-eastern-cape.39710/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-great-adventure-with-game-trackers-africa.40875/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...rk-continent-with-game-trackers-africa.40876/

Last edited:
You can expect to pay in the region of $15,000 to $16,000 for a wilderness Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. Some outfitters have a higher daily rate and lower trophy fees or vice-versa.
We would offer you a 10 day buffalo safari at $900/day with a $6,000 trophy fee plus VAT and levies.
Trophy fee on Eland is $1,500 and Kudu $1,200
The area is an hour out of Victoria Falls but as remote as can be. You won't see another human being or domestic animal for the course of your stay!

I am seeing 14-17K for a 7-10 day buff hunt in Zimbabwe. These quotes are within 2 weeks old.

Good evening uplander01

My name is Aj Fourie, I work for Kwalata safari's. I think it's great to start your research on a platform such as this one. Please feel free to send us a private message, as we have some exciting deals available in Mozambique. You can also visit our website (kwalata.com) and have a look around to see if it is what you have in mind!!

You can contact me directly at aj@kwalata.com or alternatively jaco@kwalata.com

Hope to hear from you soon and good luck with your planning!!

Regards
Aj Fourie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg