Zimbabwe military taking sides?

https://www.amazon.com/Sibanda-Tim-...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1505477319&sr=8-1

51wvpHzUtNL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
81iOHlqONQL.jpg

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/930620703736516609

10m ago 22:19

The military statement issued via state broadcaster Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) in the early hours of Wednesday began:

Good morning Zimbabwe.

Fellow Zimbabweans, following the address we made on 13 November 2017, which we believe our main broadcaster Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation and the Herald were directed not to publicise, the situation in our country has moved to another level.

Firstly we wish to assure our nation, His Excellency the president of the republic of Zimbabwe and commander-in-chief of the Zimbabwe defence forces, comrade RG Mugabe and his family, are safe and sound and their security is guaranteed.

We are only targeting criminals around him who are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country in order to bring them to justice.

As soon as we have accomplished our mission we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.

Reading the linked stories above sounds like more just denials than anything else. I certainly don't see anything there that confirms anything.

Could it be what isn’t being said screams the loudest. ie: where are any statements by either Mugabe that they are fine and they are in control. Could it be house arrest?!?! ie: where are statements from the Zimbabwe media. Are there none?!?! Could it be that the military have taken control of the media?!?!

Makes you wonder if there are negotiations as to what country is willing to accept the Mugabes. Or, what foreign bank accounts controlled by the mugabes get transferred back to the government or to the military or to individuals before the Mugabes are allowed to peacefully leave the country.

Could it be what isn’t being said screams the loudest. ie: where are any statements by either Mugabe that they are fine and they are in control. Could it be house arrest?!?! ie: where are statements from the Zimbabwe media. Are there none?!?! Could it be that the military have taken control of the media?!?!

Makes you wonder if there are negotiations as to what country is willing to accept the Mugabes. Or, what foreign bank accounts controlled by the mugabes get transferred back to the government or to the military or to individuals before the Mugabes are allowed to peacefully leave the country.
All the caveats about being only after "criminals", and not Mugabe just makes me less than optimistic that UB will soon be gone. I am trying to not get too excited. One can only hope.

The military seizure of power, now happening, will make for some unrest over the next months (not years, I sincerely hope). Long term will be interesting; stability withing a year or three, I hope, and due caution for anyone visiting. I'll have to try to connect to some ex-Zimbabweans (of all ethnicities) here in my part of Oz for a quiet yarn.
If you're going, be a boy Scout (Be prepared), and enjoy yourselves.

bob and grace,pig fodder i hope,tims book is closer than fiction,only the names have been change to protect the guilty.on a happy fact,how about that elephant permit approval thing?

Anyone from Zimbabwe that could keep us informed?

People in Zim are still waiting for information just like us. I have a hunt booked in April 2018, so I’m texting to my PH. He answered right now “Hey no worries at all, I would bring what you first said.... there is a lot of confusion with what’s going on but there is no violence but there is a stand off in the ruling party so we hope for a good outcome which I’m sure is to come!!!! But all is good here.”

Spent a month or so back and forth between Zim and Zam back in 2006 as things were really spiraling out of control. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Such a magnificent country . . . hope it all works out.

I suspect that she would be an even worse tyrant than he is.... May she meet up with an unhappy Hippo....

I did actually see a story on FOX this morning about this, essentially calling it a coup and how RSA is sending advisors to Zim to help calm things I guess. Lets hope Bob and Grace are done and done!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...e-updates-robert-Mugabe-grace-mugabe-military

Zimbabwe coup latest updates: Robert Mugabe 'fate uncertain' -people told STAY OFF STREETS

ZIMBABWE’s army has seized power in Harare and placed President Robert Mugabe under house arrest. Here is the latest news and live updates.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...tes-robert-Mugabe-grace-mugabe-military#t=50s

• Military forces have taken control of Zimbabwe. Brits have been told to stay off the streets
  • The army claims Robert Mugabe remains “safe and sound” under house arrest
  • Gunshots and explosions were heard in Harare overnight as tanks rolled into the city
  • Zimbabwean military have descibed the apparent coup as a “bloodless transition”
  • Former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, known as the Crocodile, could now take control
  • There are conflicting reports on whether Mugabe's wife Grace is in Namibia or Harare
Bringing you the latest news and live updates from Zimbabwe. (All times GMT)

9.41am: Former finance minister happy to work with military

Former Zimbabwe finance minister Tendai Biti revealed today that he would be happy to cooperate with any government that emerges from this week’s military takeover, but only if opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai was also on board.

"If Morgan says he's in, I'm in," Mr Biti told Reuters. "The country needs a solid pair of hands so one might not have a choice."

Mr Biti is highly regarded on the global stage after his stint as finance minister between 2009 and 2013.

9.19am: Business as usual in Zimbabwe

Workers in Zimbabwe have been urged to carry on as normal, despite growing political uncertainty in the country.

On Wednesday, Zimbabwe state media said all civil servants, business owners and traders to go to work on Thursday.

An Al Jazeera reporter in Harare this morning described scenes of "calm and quiet" with "some people already heading to school and work”.

9.05am: China ‘closely following’ deepening Zimbabwe situation

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang has said he hopes Zimbabwe can resolve its current state of political unrest.

“As a friendly country to Zimbabwe, we are closely following the situation unfolding in Zimbabwe,” he told Zim Media Review.

“Zimbabwe’s peace, stability and development serve the fundamental interests of the country itself and other regional countries. It is also the common with of the international community.

“We hope that Zimbabwe can properly handle it internal affairs.”

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1130723.jpg

Zimbabwe coup: At least three Zimbabwean cabinet ministers have been detailed by military forces

8.49am: Another Zimbabwe cabinet minister arrested

Masvingo minister Paul Chimedza has been arrested at an army roadblock in Bubi while attempting to flee to South Africa, according to unconfirmed reports.

If the reports are accurate, Chimedza would join three other Zanu-PF officials in military custody.

Jonathan Moyo, Ignatius Chombo and Kudzanai Chipanga were all detained yesterday.

8.36am: US Foreign Relations Committee ‘concerned’ over Zimbabwe situation

Members of the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee have expressed concern over yesterday’s military takeover in Harare.

The senators condemned the “authoritarian rule” of Robert Mugabe, but stressed the importance of adhering to democratic processes.

A statement read: “For nearly four decades, Zimbabweans have suffered under the authoritarian rule of President Robert Mugabe, a dictator who has repressed his people and presided over the economic deterioration of his country.

“While a change in leadership is long overdue, we are concerned about the military’s actions.

"We urge the leaders of the Zimbabwe Defense Forces to ensure the protection of all citizens and a transparent return to civilian control.

“As the country grapples with a new political reality, Zimbabwe’s leaders must adhere to democratic processes and establish a mechanism for the peaceful transfer of power that is consistent with Zimbabwe’s Constitution and the will of its people."

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1130690.jpg

Zimbabwe coup news: US senators have expressed concern over the Zimbabwe crisis

8.10am: Zimbabwe opposition leader to discuss military cooperation

The leader of the Movement for Democratic Change Party arrived back in Zimbabwe yesterday, fuelling speculation about a post-Mugabe political settlement.

Morgan Tsvangirai is expected to discuss the possibility of working with the Zimbabwean army with fellow party members today, though Emmerson Mnangagwa is frontrunner to take over from the incumbent President Mugabe.

7.54am: Priest mediating Mugabe’s political exit

Catholic priest Fidelis Mukonori is mediating a potential political exit for Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe, according to Reuters.

However, intelligence sources report that the 93-year-old is adamant he can only be removed via a party leadership vote.

Mugabe is still being held under house arrest in Harare.

7.38am: Zanu-PF Youth League chairman apologises to national army

Kudzai Chipanga, leader of the Zanu-PF’s influential Youth League, has made a surprise public apology to the Zimbabwean military.

“We learn from our mistakes and from this big mistake we have learned a lot,” he said.

“I would also like to emphasise that this statement that I’ve given - I have not been persuaded, coerced or forced to do as such.”

Chipanga had previously said that he would be willing to die to protect Mugabe’s presidency and on Tuesday accused the army of subverting the constitution.

"Defending the revolution and our leader and president is an ideal we live for and if need be it is a principle we are prepared to die for,” he said earlier this week.

7.18am: Zimbabwe takeover a coup in all but name, says former ambassador

Former British ambassador to Zimbabwe has branded yesterday’s military takeover in Harare “a coup in all but name”.

Mark Canning wrote in the Telegraph that "there will be relief in many quarters at the end of the Mugabe era" after the 93-year-old president was detained by the military overnight on Wednesday.

Mr Canning added: “There will equally be hope that Mr Mnangagwa, who is viewed by many, including in the opposition, as a more pragmatic and business-friendly figure, can arrest Zimbabwe's downward spiral.”

Emmerson Mnangagwa was sacked as Zimbabwe Vice-President last week in favour of Mugabe’s wife Grace, sparking huge political unrest in the south African nation.

7am: Joe Tambini takes over live reporting

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1130634.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: Robert Mugabe sacked his Vice-President in favour of his wife Grace

6.54am: Local citizens are currently waiting to see what the military will do next.

Zimbabwean opposition leader Tendai Biti demanded a transitional authority in place.

Speaking to the BBC he said: ”It is urgent that we go back to democracy.

“It is urgent that we go back to legitimacy but we need a transitional period and I think, I hope, that dialogue can now be opened between the army and Zimbabweans, [that] dialogue can be opened between the army and regional bodies such as the SADC and, indeed, the African Union.”

6.06am: A Zimbabwean activist has attacked Robert Mugabe’s ruling political party for “deception” after they claimed they were planning democratic elections following the President’s ousting from power.

Speaking on BBC Newsnight, Fungayi Mabhunu accused a Zanu-PF’s spokesman, Nick Mangwana, of lying when he promised the country would hold open elections next year.

He said: “We don’t believe anything that comes from Zanu-PF.

“They’ve deceived us and hoodwinked us in the past. What makes you think that we believe them now?”

4.49am: Former Zanu-PF member Temba Mliswa says citizens in that country are happy that their lives have been placed in the hands of the military.

He said: “When the president of the country is no longer the president and there is a de facto president it brings instability.

“As a result, you have the army, the last line of defence. From a constitutional point of view, the preamble of our Constitution has been very clear and it's important for people to understand that the army and war veterans have always been part of Zanu-PF. They are the founders of Zanu-PF.”

zimbabwe-coup-live-latest-robert-mugabe-1130593.jpg

The military are still on the streets in Harare and have warned the public to stay indoors

4.30am: Armed soldiers are checking every car in and out of the capital Harare.

A group of journalists claim an armoured personnel carrier with troops chased them when they realised they had been filming.

The Sky News team said they were convinced the troops might open fire, but luckily the shots did not come.

3.50am: Zimbabwe’s fragmented opposition has not publicly condemned the military move.

Nelson Chamisa, the deputy head of the opposition MDC party, called for “peace, constitutionalism, democratisation, the rule of law and the sanctity of human life”.

2.55am: South African envoy to meet Robert Mugabe and the military.

Local media reported South Africa's defence and state security ministers, dispatched by President Jacob Zuma as regional envoys, arrived in Zimbabwe's capital, Harare, on Wednesday night and were expected to meet both Mugabe and the military.

1.30am: Robert Mugabe “tarnished the jewel of Africa” after taking charge of a country left “over endowed for success" by British rule, Boris Johnson has claimed.

The Foreign Secretary has accused the President of allowing a corrupt elite to “pillage” the country’s natural resources leaving its residents poorer.

He said: "There is an educated population, plentiful wildlife and what were some of the best roads and railways in Africa. Throw all this together and you get a nation that is almost over endowed for success.

“Today, in one of Africa’s most fertile countries, many are close to starvation.”

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129965.jpg

Zimbabwe update live: Grace Mugabe could still be in Harare with her husband

7.09pm: 'It was not a coup' claims African Union commission
Wednesday November 15

23.15pm: A former Zimbabwe opposition prime minister has returned to the country following the house arrest of Robert Mugabe.

Morgan Tsvangirai was a key figure in the opposition of Robert Mugabe.

Former Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa is the favourite to take control, according to the ruling ZANU PF Party.

23:10pm: Thomas Hunt takes over live reporting.

22.00pm: No plans for UN Security Council talks on Zimbabwe

The UK’s ambassador to the UN Matthew Rycroft has confirmed there are no current plans to discuss the apparent coup in Zimbabwe

He said: ”It's unfolding rapidly, and I don't want to say anything prematurely, but what we call on is for everyone to respect the need for safety and security and for no descent into violence.

"We appeal for calm and for the situation to remain stable."

21.40pm: Senior Cabinet ministers ‘taken to military barracks’

Senior members of Robert Mugabe’s government have reportedly been taken to a military barracks, unverified claims from within the country have revealed.

Zimbabwean media mogul Trevor Ncube, whose company owns four of the nation’s newspapers, claimed they had been taken from the leader’s residence to a military base in the country.

He tweeted: “I can now confirm that Cabinet Ministers Jonathan Moyo and Saviour Kasukuwere have been picked up from President Mugabe's ‘Blue Roof’ residence to KGV1 Military Barracks.

21.20pm: Vincent Wood takes over live reporting

7.09pm: 'It was not a coup' claims African Union commission

Moussa Faki Mahamat, head of the African Union commission, claimed on Wednesday that the takeover carried out by Zimbabwe's army was not a coup.

Speaking in Washington, Mr Faki said: "The military have reassured us this is not a coup d'etat.

"The African Union is against any unconstitutional change of government."

Zimbabwe-Robert-Mugabe-coup-army-1130047.jpg

Zimbabwe latest: The army have denied a planned coup d'etat of the Government

4.40pm: 'We used to think Mugabe and Grace were invincible'

Residents in Harare spoke about the incredible events of last night as business returned to normal on Wednesday afternoon.

Rumbi Katepfu, who was shutting her mobile phone shop early in downtown Harare, said: "I don't support the army but I am happy to see Mugabe gone, maybe this country can start to develop again.”

She added: ”I did not think this would ever happen... We used to think Mugabe and Grace were invincible."

4.39pm: African Union head claims military takeover 'seems like a coup'

The head of the African Union (AU) has claimed the military takeover “seems like a coup” despite claims from the military.

Alpha Conde, who also serves as the President of New Guinea, claimed the incident is "clearly soldiers trying to take power by force”.

In 2015 the AU clamped down hard on Burkina Faso, suspending the nation and issuing sanctions after a popular uprising against then-ruler Blaise Compaore.

4.30pm: Namibia denies reports that Grace Mugabe fled there

Namibian newspaper New Era said Namibia’s International Relations Minister Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah has dismissed reports of Grace Mugabe having fled to Namibia.

Zimbabwean newspaper publisher Trevor Ncube has also suggested Grace Mugabe may still be with her husband in Harare.

He tweeted: “My sources in Zimbabwe confirm Grace Mugabe is still at the ‘Blue Roof’ home in Borrowadale, Harare with President Mugabe.”

Sky News sources suggested that Grace had fled to Namibia. Earlier reports said that Mugabe was negotiating with the military to allow Grace to leave the country.

3.30pm: 'Business as usual' for workers in Zimbabwe

Businesses across Zimbabwe's major cities are continuing to operate normally, according to Bulawayo-based newspaper The Chronicle.

A local worker told the paper: "The army has urged us to come to work. What we want is peace and prosperity in this country."

Another store vendor added: "We are not afraid of anything as long as the army is there. They are protecting us."

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129937.jpg

Zimbabwe coup live update: The Zimbabwean military has taken control of Harare

3.15pm: Zimbabwe's ruling party's youth wing praises the army

An unverified Twitter account of the Zanu-PF Youth League denied reports of a crisis in Zimbabwe.

The account tweeted: "We continue to marvel at how the Army is professionally and peacefully carrying out the National Democratic Project.

"We encourage our members and the general public to fully comply with the directives of the army in its advancement of the Project.

"Contrary to international reports, the gallant Zimbabwean Army has not staged a COUP. There is n COUP in Zimbabwe. Neither is there crisis.

"The army is simply effecting a National Democratic Project and it's doing so with peaceful aplomb."

Zimbabwe's army have denied a coup d'etat. But Professor Alex Magaisa, Kent University, argued that the takeover was coup "in all but name".

He told Bloomberg TV: "As you probably heard, the vice-President of Zimbabwe was fired last Monday, 10 days ago, and there's been in turn a response from the military who are essentially backing him.

"They issued a very tough statement on Monday, and this morning there was another statement which essentially showed that the military had taken over power.

"Although they are insisting that they had not taken over the government, it is a coup in all but name."

3pm: Sebastian Kettley takes over live reporting.

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129884.jpg

Zimbabwe coup live: Boris Johnson said he wants Zimbabwe to be the master of its own fate

2.45pm: Labour presses Boris on Zimbabwe crisis

Labour’s Kate Hoey pressed Boris Johnson on whether or not he would support the rise of Emmerson Mnangagwa government in Zimbabwe.

Mr Johnson replied: “It would be wrong for us, at this stage, to comment specifically about any personalities that may be involved, save perhaps to say this: that it is not obviously a particularly promising development in the political career of Robert Mugabe.”

2.10pm: Zimbabwe takeover a ‘tipping point’, says Kate Hoey

Labour’s Kate Hoey said the situation was "clearly a significant tipping point in the power balance in Zimbabwe".

She claimed it was a coup to "ensure that the former vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa takes over" but the military did not want to atually run the country.

1.55pm: Zimbabwe must not fall into hands of another tyrant, says Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson told the Commons: "Nobody wants simply to see the transition from one unelected tyrant to a next.

"Noone wants to see that. We want to see proper, free and fair elections.”

The Foreign Secretary said there have been no reports of "any injuries or suffering" involving the 20,000 British nationals in Zimbabwe.

1.43pm: Police officers rounded up in Zimbabwe

A lawyer in Zimbabwe’s capital Harare tweeted a photograph apparenty showing a row of police officers being guarded by soldiers.

Harare resident Denissa Moyannahas told the BBC that soliders are "beating up" Zimbabwean police.

She said: “Armoured vehicles were all over the CBD, stopping cars at intersections. Police were getting beaten up by soldiers."

“The state TV Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation has been playing liberation struggle songs."

All Harare police officers on leave have been recalled and ordered to report for duty.

1.18pm: Boris Johnson calls for calm as crisis deepens

Mr Johnson has said he does not know whether the military takeover in Zimbabwe marks the end of Robert Mugabe’s regime, but called for calm and restraint.

He said: “The events of the last 24 hours are the latest escalation of months of brutal infighting within the ruling Zanu PF Party, including the sacking of a vice-president, the purging of his followers and the apparent positioning of Grace Mugabe as a contender to replace her 93-year-old husband."

The Foreign Secretary added: "We will do all we can, with our international partners, to ensure this provides a genuine opportunity for all Zimbabweans to decide their future."

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129835.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: Leading nations have called on the Zimbabwe crisis to be resolved peacefully

1.03pm: Theresa May echoes calls for restraint on all sides

UK Prime Minister Theresa has urged Brits in Zimbabwe to remain indoors as the situation “remains fluid”.

Speaking at in the House of Commons earlier, Mrs May said: “We are monitoring those developments very carefully, the situation is still fluid and we urge restraint on all sides.”

12.41pm: Britain must ‘support Zimbabwean people’, says former Africa minister

Tory MP and former Africa minister James Duddridge said the UK must help Zimbabwe move away from the “nasty dictatorship” under Robert Mugabe.

He told the Press Association: "I would hope that the UK has a plan to deal with this type of scenario to flood in extra political support, diplomatic support, but also crucially economic support to allow that country to prosper.

"The British Government should support the Zimbabwean people to bring the whole thing to a conclusion and chart a way forward.

"It is for the Zimbabwean people to chart a way forward, not Her Majesty's Government.

"But I think they are doing that, they will do that, and we will support them coming out of what has been a rather nasty dictatorship by one man to a slightly more functioning democracy, probably transitioning by a government of national unity."

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129532.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: Grace Mugabe is reportedly not in Zimbabwe

12.30pm: Mnangagwa back in Harare to take control of Zimbabwe

Sacked Zimbabwean Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa has returned to Harare to take control of the country’s government, according to the Independent Online (IOL) in South Africa.

Robert Mugabe dismissed Mnangagwa ten days ago over an ongoing leadership row within the ruling Zanu-PF party.

Often known as ‘The Crocodile', Mnangagwa is now the frontrunner to take over from Mugabe, 93, as Zimbabwe’s president.

12.19pm: France urges ‘peaceful resolution’ in Zimbabwe

Following last night’s military takeover, the French foreign ministry has stressed respect for constitutional law after the southern African country's military seized power early on Wednesday.

Spokeswoman Agnes Romatet-Espagne said: "We reiterate our attachment to constitutional law and respect of the legitimate aspirations of the Zimbabwean people.

"We encourage all parties to find a peaceful solution within this framework and without violence."

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129736.jpg

Zimbabwe coup: Robert Mugabe is being held at his home

12.10pm: Military remain deployed around Harare

Simon Thomas, the acting British ambassador in Harare, told Britons to stay in their homes and hotels "until things settle down a little bit”.

He said: “You will have seen pictures overnight of military being deployed around the city and I can confirm that military remain deployed at strategic locations around Harare this morning.”

11.44am: Labours warns against 'descent into violence'

Labour’s shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry said: “Amid the uncertainty of these ongoing events, three things are clear: first, a descent into violence, recrimination and reprisals from any direction must be avoided at all costs; second, the continuation of authoritarian rule does not represent a sustainable way forward for Zimbabwe, no matter which faction ends up in control; and third, it must ultimately be for the Zimbabwean people to determine their own future government through free, peaceful and democratic elections.”

11.33am: Grace Mugabe reportedly in Namibia.

Reports are coming in that Grace Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s first lady, has fled Zimbabwe for Namibia.

Grace was being lined up to take over as her husband's successor after the Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa was fired last week.

A Twitter account in Mnangagwa’s name said: “I’m back in the Country & will be quite busy over the next few days.

“My communication with you will now be via formal broadcasting channels… Thank you all for the support & solidarity.”

11.27am: Military takeover ‘good for Zimbabwe’

The Secretary-General of Zimbabwe's War Veterans Association has said Robert Mugabe should be removed as the country’s leader.

Victor Matemadanda added at a news conference that a military takeover earlier today was for the good of Zimbabwe.

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129663.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: Robert Mugabe could stand down as President of Zimbabwe following the takeover

1.15am: EU calls for “dialogue" and "peaceful resolution” in Zimbabwe

A European Commission spokesman said: “The recent political developments in Zimbabwe, and their spillover, including in relation to the country's security forces, are a matter of concern."

He added: "We call on all relevant players to move from confrontation to dialogue with the aim to a peaceful crisis resolution."

11.05am: Boris Johnson calls for ‘stable and successful’ Zimbabwe

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has urged both sides of the dispute in Zimbabwe to refrain from violence.

He said: “It's very fluid and it's hard to say exactly how this will turn out.”

"The most important point to make is that everybody wants to see a stable and successful Zimbabwe and I think we are really appealing for everybody to refrain from violence."

10.59am: Al Jazeera retracts claim that Mugabe will speak

Al Jazeera has corrected its claim that Robert Mugabe will make a public statement.

The news agency tweeted: “President Jacob Zuma is expected to speak at 11:00 GMT, not President Robert Mugabe. We apologise for the error.”

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129603.jpg

Zimbabwe coup: Tanks are blocking off roads in Harare

Zimbabwe coup: The military has taken power in Zimbabwe
10.54am: Mugabe could speak imminently

Al Jazeera has reported that Robert Mugabe will make a statement on the military takeover in Zimbabwe at 11am GMT.

10.50am: Mugabe being held at his home, says South African president

South African president Jacob Zuma said Mugabe is being detained by the military at his home.

Mugabe reportedly told Zuma that he was confined to his home but that he was fine.

Zuma will be sending special envoys to Zimbabwe to meet with Mugabe and the Zimbabwean Defence Force, which has seized power in Harare.

10.47am: Zimbabwe Military take control of media outlets in Harare

Former Zimbabwean minister David Colart told Sky News that is it unclear what is happening in Harare, but said the military have control of Zimbabwe’s sole television network.

He added: “They also have control of the leading daily government newspaper, The Herald."

Mr Colart said the takeover was an attempt to “sure up” the position of Emmerson Mnangagwa, who was recently sacked by Robert Mugabe.

10.35am: Grace Mugabe will be allowed to leave Zimbabwe

Robert Mugabe has persuaded the military to allow his wife Grace to leave Zimbabwe, a security source told AfriNewsAgency.

Mugabe, who is being held under house arrest, is thought to have negotiated a “safe haven” for Grace in return for giving up power.

The military takeover in Zimbabwe was sparked after Mugabe fired his deputy Emmerson Mnangagwa in favour of his wife.

10.24am: Mugabe ‘could resign’ following military takeover

Jane Morley, Zimbabwe analyst at the Economist Intelligence Unit, said: “The situation in Zimbabwe remains highly fluid following the military takeover on November 14th.

“There are suggestions that the incumbent, Robert Mugabe, will resign, after which an interim government will take over, and elections held.

“However, it is far from clear that any such polls would be free and fair. A managed election process would in all likelihood lead to the victory of former vice-president Emmerson Mnangagwa, the army's favoured candidate.

“However, the role of regional groups such as the Southern African Development Community will be crucial.

“They are unlikely to accept a military coup in Zimbabwe, and even if the military returns to barracks (as it has pledged to do), and elections lead to a Mnangagwa presidency, the army will still have played a key role in determining who leads the country.”

10.07am: US embassy in Zimbabwe is closed to public

The United States embassy in Harare is closed today (November 15), following the dramatic military takeover overnight.

“Due to ongoing uncertainty in Zimbabwe, the US Embassy in Harare will be minimally staffed and closed to the public on November 15,” a statement read.

"Embassy personnel will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129495.jpg

Zimbabwe coup: The military has taken power in Zimbabwe

10am: Zimbabwe’s Deputy Director the CIO arrested

The Deputy Director of Zimbabwe’s Central Intelligence Organisation CIO has been detained, according to newspaper owner Trevor Ncube.

Mr Ncube also confirmed the arrest of Kudzai Chipanga, the President of ZanuPF National Youth League.

“Still no word on the National Police Commissioner Augustine Chihuri,” he added.

9.45am: Zimbabwe police on leave told to return to posts

The national police force in Zimbabwe has recalled all officers on leave.

A leading official told the Associated Press that all police on leave have been ordered to return to their posts immediately.

9.37am: Shocking video shows tanks blocking roads in Harare

A stunned Zimbabwe local has filmed military officers with tanks controlling traffic in Zimbabwe.

Commentating on the scenes, the filmmaker said: “There’s a tank along Kirkman Road, closing off Kirkman Road.

“This is military police and a tank… There is a tank blocking Kirkman Road, stopping cars from going outside."

WATCH: TANKS BLOCK ROADS AFTER MUGABE REMOVED

9.24: Zimbabwe’s Finance Minister detained

Zimbabwe’s Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo is reportedly being held after the military seized power in an attempt to root out “criminals” surrounding Robert Mugabe.

9.15am: Zimbabwe’s opposition party demands return to democracy

The Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) Party has called for Zimbabwe to return to democracy.

The party said it hopes the military intervention will herald an ”establishment of a stable, democratic and progressive nation state".

The MDC has been the primary political opposition to Mugabe’s own ZANU PF party for the past 20 years.

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129540.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: People have rushed to banks to withdraw funds

9.08am: South African President calls for calm in Zimbabwe

President Jacob Zuma has called for calm and restraint in Zimbabwe following last night’s military takeover.

He has urged the government of Zimbabwe and the nation’s military to resolve the political impasse amicably, adding that the South African Development Community will be monitoring the situation closely.

8.57am: Military chief’s trip to Beijing was a ‘normal military exchange’, says China’s Foreign Ministry

General Constantino Chiwenga met Chinese Defence Minister Chang Wanquan in Beijing on Friday, where Chang expressed a willingness to promote relations with Zimbabwe, according to Reuters.

Asked whether Chiwenga had briefed China on plans to seize power, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the Defence Ministry had already released information about his trip and that he didn't have an understanding about the specifics of his reception in China.

8.51am: Zimbabwean locals rush to banks

The people of Zimbabwe have been seen rushing to withdraw funds from banks.

Crowds of locals could be seen queuing outside CBZ bank in Harare, as political uncertainty in Zimbabwe escalates.

8.42am: Brits told to stay off Zimbabwean streets

Following the military takeover in Zimbabwe, the British Government has advised UK residents to stay off the streets in Harare.

A statement read: “Due to the uncertain political situation in Harare, including reports of unusual military activity, we recommend British nationals currently in Harare to remain safely at home or in their accommodation until the situation becomes clearer.

“Please continue to monitor our travel advice and embassy social media accounts for updates.”

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-879752.jpg

Zimbabwe coup: The military has taken control and detained Robert Mugabe

8.31am: ‘No crisis’ in Zimbabwe, claims ZANU PF Youth League

The youth division of Zimbabwe’s ruling party tweeted: “Contrary to international reports, the gallant Zimbabwean Army has not staged a COUP.

“There is no COUP in Zimbabwe. Neither is there crisis.

“The army is simply effecting a National Democratic Project and it's doing so with peaceful aplomb.”

8.24am: Robert Mugabe’s wife Grace to leave Zimbabwe

Early reports suggest Grace Mugabe could be allowed to leave Zimbabwe, after her husband was placed under house arrest.

News24’s Adriaan Basson cited “verified reports” that Mugabe has negotiated for Grace to leave the country while he prepares to step down.

The takeover was sparked after Mr Mugabe sacked his deputy, Emmerson Mnangagwa, in favour of his wife.

8.20am: Zimbabwe’s National Secretary for Youth Affairs held

The ZANU PF Youth League has confirmed that Cde K Chipanga has been detained.

"The Youth League would want to confirm the detention of Cde K Chipanga,” a statement read.

“His safety has been guaranteed and has implored us to comply with the National Democratic Project which is underway.

“We would also want to commend the military for conducting the NDP with minimal force.”

Chipanga was appointed to the roles of National Secretary for Youth Affairs by Mugabe in September 2016.

zimbabwe-coup-latest-news-live-updates-robert-mugabe-grace-mugabe-1129486.jpg

Zimbabwe coup latest: The military chief said the takeover would target criminals

8am: Zimbabwe’s ruling party releases statement on takeover

Former Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa will now take power in Zimbabwe, according to the ruling ZANU PF Party.

The party has denied staging a military coup, instead choosing to call the takeover a “bloodless transaction”.

In a series of tweets this morning read: “Last night the first family was detained and are safe, both for the constitution and the sanity of the nation this was necessary.

"Neither Zimbabwe nor ZANU are owned by Mugabe and his wife.

"Today begins a fresh new era and comrade Mnangagwa will help us achieve a better Zimbabwe.

"There was no coup, only a bloodless transition which saw corrupt and crooked persons being arrested and an elderly man who had been taken advantage of by his wife being detained.

"The few bangs that were heard were from crooks who were resisting arrest, but they are now detained.

"ZANU PF has a way of solving our own problems, the situation is stable and Zimbabwe is open for business. There was no coup, but a bloodless peaceful transition- the centre is strong and there is peace with honest leadership."

7.47am: Gunfire heard in Harare

Gunfire and explosions broken out in Zimbabwe’s capital Harare overnight following a warning by a military chief that the armed forces are ready to ”step in” to the political row, witnesses have reported.

After storming a state television station soldiers made a statement claiming they have intervened to target criminals around Mugabe.

Zimbabwe’s military chief said the army wanted to deal with people who "were committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country”.

He added: ”As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normal."

UB is down but not yet out..

in an email from buzz of c&m safaris in response to my email to him,he sounded upbeat and positive in response to the going ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.