Zimbabwe may withdraw from CITES to sell $300m of ivory

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news-fast-news/zimbabwe-may-withdraw-from-cites-to-sell-300m-of-ivory/

Zimbabwe may withdraw from CITES to sell $300m of ivory

Country has a stockpile of tusks and reportedly needs the revenue.

Zimbabwe may consider withdrawing from the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species because the organisation won’t allow it to sell its ivory stockpile.

The southern African nation with the world second-largest population of elephants has a stockpile of tusks worth an estimated $300 million and needs the revenue, Fulton Mangwanya, director-general of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, told lawmakers in the capital, Harare on Monday.

While CITES has banned international ivory sales to curb poaching, frustration is growing over the fact that “other countries are prescribing how we should handle our animals,” Mangwanya told a parliamentary committee on environment and tourism. Withdrawing from CITES would have the support of neighbors Botswana, Zambia and Namibia, which all have large elephant populations of their own, he said.

In recent years, Zimbabwe has raised money for conservation by selling elephants to China. The size of the population, estimated at 84,000, is twice what can be supported by available food and land, according to the government. Botswana last month lifted a hunting ban on wildlife because it says it has too many elephants, which destroy crops and sometimes kill people.

The last once-off commercial sale of stockpiles of elephant ivory from Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe that CITES allowed was completed in 2009. Most of the tusks went to China and Japan.

“Countries like Japan are supporting us, China is dilly-dallying, I’m not quite sure why, but they are the ones that want our ivory,” Mangwanya said.

Was wondering when this might happen!

Great idea IF the money goes to preserving wildlife and habitat. If it goes into the "general fund" it will be wasted and end up in some bureaucrat's pocket.

They will take what ever they can get.....the economy is in a shambles...

Figure half of it will be siphoned off but if used for conservation, half a loaf is better than none.

So would that spell the end of US sport hunted imports( in the future) of ivory, cats, and other animals if Zimbabwe no longer belongs to that treaty?

So would that spell the end of US sport hunted imports( in the future) of ivory, cats, and other animals if Zimbabwe no longer belongs to that treaty?

While I agree with the idea of a responsible international trade to hopefully reduce the impact of poaching, the ripple effect on import/export of hunting trophies would be of concern to me too.

Figure half of it will be siphoned off but if used for conservation, half a loaf is better than none.
Even if very little goes to conservation but to other programs, so long as usual hunting remains properly regulated, I am fine with the general population benefiting. Zim is at a point where any money to get the country on its feet is good.

Even if very little goes to conservation but to other programs, so long as usual hunting remains properly regulated, I am fine with the general population benefiting. Zim is at a point where any money to get the country on its feet is good.

Problem is it wont go to either conservation or any other "programs" there but rather to the few in charge with further detriment to the country and its people as a whole. The general population will receive zero the only ones who will benefit are the few who hold the power in hand...sad but reality...this is Africa....one benefited enough the next are in line....

Maybe just the threat to leave CITES will have greenies writing a check to the President. Probably all he is after. As distasteful and unpopular as it may be, Zim and Botswana are going to have to cull elephant. At least in the parks. I was in Hwange Park 6 weeks ago. Witnessed what overpopulation is doing. With 45,000 elephant, and a carrying capacity of 14,000 an ecological disaster is just around the corner. It will damage the ecosystem for many species, and for decades to come. ......FWB

Maybe just the threat to leave CITES will have greenies writing a check to the President. Probably all he is after. As distasteful and unpopular as it may be, Zim and Botswana are going to have to cull elephant. At least in the parks. I was in Hwange Park 6 weeks ago. Witnessed what overpopulation is doing. With 45,000 elephant, and a carrying capacity of 14,000 an ecological disaster is just around the corner. It will damage the ecosystem for many species, and for decades to come. ......FWB

Same problem in Kruger....

Same problem in Kruger....

What LvW and Flatwater Bill said +1.
Let ZIM try what is best for ZIM and see how it works out.

I hear that there is an overpopulation of Ele in Botswana also; partly due to a focus on non-hunting tourism, but things can change as they seem to have changed on Bot.

i believe cites is corrupt and controlled by the antis.

14000 is way more than the carrying capacity of hwange...... Not far of the total capacity of the whole of Zim......

Love to see that if it goes in the right direction!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg