ZIMBABWE: May 2017 Hunt With Mbalabala Safaris

Some pics of the Zambezi lodge and area, real nice place and beautiful surroundings....

DSC01657.JPG
DSC01658.JPG
DSC01660.JPG
DSC01666.JPG
DSC01664.JPG
DSC01662.JPG

Baobab Tree!!!!

These things are really cool and massive!

DSC01637.JPG
DSC01638.JPG
DSC01640.JPG

Friday May 26th (Day 13)

Today I head back to the states. I hate for this hunt/trip to come to an end. Zim is a beautiful country! The camp is about 2 hours from the airport and another 15 min to the falls. I want to get to the falls for a little while before the flight. We make it to Vic falls about 10:00. which gives me a little time to get int the falls for some pics. The falls were raging with all the rain they have had! I hope to experience the falls again someday!

DSC01692.JPG
DSC01682.JPG
DSC01683.JPG
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01688.JPG

Had just enough time to do a little shopping before the trip to the airport, found some of that "funny money" and one of those cool Big 5 carvings

20170529_145451_resized.jpg
20170529_145443_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. I am crushed just reading. Nothing like missing a shot on a great animal and the scope be jacked up.

I appreciate your tale all the more with all the misses in it.
It's a pleasure reading your positive attitude in it all and the sense of other side.

Thanks for a true and honest tale.

Last edited:
What a great report man! I'm sorry you didn't get Mr. Spots. But hell of a trip none the less. Besides you are too young to get too much checked off the bucket list. Thank you for the report!

That was a great report...I felt like I was along for the ride! Thanks! It's a shame you weren't able to get your leopard and hippo, but it's obvious you still had a great trip and appreciated every second of it. Next time!

Bummer.

Feel bad for you Charles. Appreciate the honesty on the hippo.

I have used camp rifles on a couple of hunts, and will probably do so in the future. If you had this hunt to do over again, would you bring your own rifle?

Outstanding adventure even without the desired result. I'm a waterbuck lover so I appreciate you throwing that pic in the mix.

Charles don't beat yourself up about the hippo bro. It happens to everyone. Something happens and a miss turns into another which starts to snowball and before you know it it just goes to poo. Its happened to me and probably every hunter in the universe. The thing I've learned to be thankful for is that they are clean misses that don't lead to a mess.
For whatever reason Zimbabwe has become more and more of a desire of mine to go and hunt. Your report has just reinforced this. Really at this point it doesn't matter what I hunt I just want to experience Zimbabwe and Mozambique

What an amazing report. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, both good and bad.
Sounds that you will cherish the memories of Africa, although the Leopard got away.

//Gus

Had Donna's .30-06 all ready to go and verified before our hunt last October. I had an epic number of misses. Worst thing was something clicked in my head to check things further when at the range before the hunt the accuracy was just a bit off from a few days before.........

Get home and was lucky to hit Arizona with the left over loads. After verifying at the range something was amiss, I was able to tighten one of the action screws somewhere no more than 1/4 of a turn. Problem solved. Would have been easy to verify and take care of with my handy dandy torque screwdriver if I'd taken the time and had the tool with me.

Live and learn I guess Charles. Still seemed quite an adventure. I met Lin in Vegas this past year, seemed like someone who would be fun to hunt with.

I appreciate your tale all the more the all the misses in it.
It's a pleasure reading your positive attitude in it all and the sense of other side.

Thanks for a true and honest tale.

That about says it all! Fabulous report. You learn a lot more from your misses than your hits I think.

Congrats on your hunt Reedy! Great report.

I respect the positive attitude you maintained throughout. It will make you sense of accomplishment all the greater when you do get Mr. Spots!

Great report Charles, thanks!

Bummer.

Feel bad for you Charles. Appreciate the honesty on the hippo.

I have used camp rifles on a couple of hunts, and will probably do so in the future. If you had this hunt to do over again, would you bring your own rifle?

@Wheels ,

I have used the outfitters gun more times than I have used my own and will continue to do so in the future. The gun was shooting just fine in the first camp. Its just that we didn't check it after the 9 hour drive to the second camp.

Charles don't beat yourself up about the hippo bro. It happens to everyone. Something happens and a miss turns into another which starts to snowball and before you know it it just goes to poo. Its happened to me and probably every hunter in the universe. The thing I've learned to be thankful for is that they are clean misses that don't lead to a mess.

Thanks @gizmo !

Yes I am happy they were clean misses for sure!

Congrats on your hunt Reedy! Great report.

I respect the positive attitude you maintained throughout. It will make you sense of accomplishment all the greater when you do get Mr. Spots!

Thanks @rinehart0050 !

Thats all I try to do is stay positive on hunts. I hope to try for spots again!

That was a great report...I felt like I was along for the ride! Thanks! It's a shame you weren't able to get your leopard and hippo, but it's obvious you still had a great trip and appreciated every second of it. Next time!

Thank you @Ragman !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg