Zimbabwe Lifts Ban on Lion Hunting

S.W. Smith

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Forgive me if this has already been posted, I did a search and could not find one.

Zim lifts ban on lion hunts
Harare - Zimbabwe has lifted a hastily-imposed countrywide ban on lion, leopard and elephant hunting in the wake of Cecil the lion's death, though it remains in force in a limited area, insiders and a hunters' group say.

The ban was imposed on August 2 in the wake of global outrage over the killing of Cecil by a US dentist on an illegal hunt just outside Hwange National Park in western Zimbabwe.

A statement from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association, leaked this weekend, reads: "We are pleased to inform you that, following some useful discussions between operators and the relevant Zimbabwean authorities, the suspension has now been uplifted throughout the country", though there are some exceptions.

Lion-hunting is still banned in the Antoinette farm that Cecil was killed in in early July, another farm where a second lion was recently illegally hunted, and in two other areas.

Significantly, the Zimbabwe authorities also appear to have banned all hunting of "collared iconic animals", the statement says.

Cecil was wearing a collar when he was killed, and was the fourth or fifth collared lion in Hwange to be killed so far this year, according to conservationists. A second lion killed in July - whose death is also being investigated by the authorities - was not collared.

The authorities "have reacted very quickly, very strongly, and they've put a total ban on any hunting in Antoinette and Farm 32 - the two areas where the lions were shot," a conservationist from the Hwange area said.

"I think anyone who crosses the line now will be nailed," the conservationist added.

Hunting is generally banned in all of Zimbabwe's state-owned parks although it has been allowed in the case of so-called "ration-hunting", when game was killed to feed rangers and other government workers or for national events. Sources say the authorities may now have banned this practice.

Zimbabwean hunting officials were not available for comment.

Source: http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Zim-lifts-ban-on-lion-hunts-20150809

Alternative Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...llowing-Cecil-lion-s-death-just-ONE-week.html

Last edited:
they probably took a gander at the paternalistic progressives loosing there mind on the internet and realized that they care more about that lion than Zimbabweans and said "ok, F#$k you too, we're hunting our game"

Good going Zimbabwe.

Excellent news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross