ZIMBABWE: Kwalata Wilderness Safaris

Mike
I understand from your reply that your connection to Zim runs deeper than the hunting that you have done there, Well same here up until 19 years ago I had family ties in Zim (productive farmers),

I do not know where your information comes from regarding SA companies (hopefully not SCI!).... But, I, as you find it laughable that you still have the ingnorant idea that South Africans are responsible for Zimbabwes hunting issues, get real Mike, as You I am a client,....... as You I book a hunt,..... as You I get on a plane and and fly or drive into Zim (I am actually an African).... expecting only the best of my safari with my client.

To be honest Mike I am a Professional Hunter and my Zimbabwean counterparts regard me as a fellow Professional hunter (by the way they are pretty well known in the industry do not work for parks, and have been hunting for a pretty long time.) and respect me as I do them, and so do my clients who I have hunted with, some for more than a decade, seeing a word in text and directly translating it into a level of operational integrity is laughable to say the least MIKE.

As a side note I am not your average pick up hunter, I have done extensive work for Fauna Bravia (Mozambique), and did an appy ship at the age of 19 under a well known Zimbabwean Major! I also have a degree in Wildlife management, so I do believe that I am pretty well covered as far as knowledge is concerned.

Mike I would say that my ties to Zimbabwe are as deep if not deeper, I just truly believe that the ignorant statements that South African comapnies hunting in Zimbabwe are operating under the radar is a very very wild Statement to make..... and I will take it upon myself as you have very well noticed.... to put out any such propoganda against South African companies if that it what we want to call it.

Just to Clarify I have not made any deals with Generals or Distict administrators.....I also do not have anyone in my pocket..... and if I was to inform you of which well known companies in SCI and the industry have done so, it would unleash an appocolyptic response Mike.

It is highly amusing or in your words "laughable", that we as South African operators are wacked over the fingers by someone based in the U.S. and Yet Mike come end of season I have Zim outfitters From Buzz Charlton (who I admire and highly respect) to Z caling me for their end of season specials requesting me to bring my clients to their respective camps and areas.

Simply put Mike I do not report to you or anyone else for that matter I am held and restricted (Voluntarily) by a code of conduct that I have adopted and made my own, I do believe that the ego of some hunter surpass all logic.

I will repeat this as I am an upstading member of PHASA and IPHA as well as SCI, I know and have a unique knowledge of which South African companies are involved in non kosher dealings and once again, I believe that you are slightly of par, I also do understand that a certain South African company caused major issues in Zimbabwe, as well as Mozie and Bots, and with what they did in Zim allot of Zim companies has come to dislike South African companies, as you also very well know Mike emotion overules logic too.

It has taken me a very long time to build a solid and ethical base and I will be not idly stand by while uninformed statements are made about me or a generalised picture sketched regarding South African companies.

You can contact me at Jaco@kwalata.com

Now that we have insulted each other a little I will try to be as polite as possible.

From the original post I gave what I feel is good advice for booking any hunt whether it is with a SA or a Zim company. Check with SOAZ, PHASA, or whatever association is applicable. What specific area is being hunted. There are Matetsi areas that US citizens cannot hunt. Ask if the company is hunting outfitter or booking agent for Zim.

I will take you for your word that you are a well respected and ethical hunter. My compliments to you as we need more like you in the business. However a SA citizen cannot be a licensed PH in Zimbabwe nor hunt for profit. If I mis-read Awcorder1's post that you were his PH in Zim I apologize.

We also agree on the problems in Zim. If Parks was run like it was just 15 years ago much less before 1979 none of this BS would be happening. And yes if Zim would clean its own house these problems would go away. If it was not for operators like Buzz, Martin Pieters, the Duckworth's, Zambezi Hunters, John Sharp (and the the other BVC operators), along with others I fear the wildlife in Zim would be loss.

We will disagree on the impact of the SA outfitters in Zim. As you said outfitters from other countries are pulled in to ration hunts in National Parks (Hwange being popular and more recently Zambezi) by corrupt Senior Parks official, generals, and other Zanu cronies, however the foreign operators should know better. A SA operator was arrested this year for hunting Zambezi National Park. There are more doing the same thing in Gwaii (stolen property) and other areas. A SA operator teamed up with a Zim PH and is selling ration quota as trophy quota in Matetsi. It is approved by some park official but that does not make it right. I will agree that for every foreign company operating illegally in Zim you will find a Zim resident involved.

As I said the tide will eventually turn. I hope it does for the sake of the wildlife. But I will always raise a concern when I see a hunt in the Gwaii, Matetsi 6, or other stolen property, operators selling PAC hunts, non exportable elephant bulls, etc, etc.

Good luck with your upcoming season. If you are in Dallas or Vegas I will gladly come meet you.

Mike

Thankls for being polite....... Once again I would like to state that I need not have your approval and whether you take my word for any I have said....well thats your issue.
I would however higly appreciate it, if you would refrain from posting anything that could impact negativly on me/my family or my hard earned continual return client base, and buisiness.

I believe that messmate's, reply to your first thread was quite fitting as he trusts me completely....this is something that is earned through reputation I'll have you know/learn.

I have gathered that you have a strong feeling for Zimbabwe and it's Wildlife, and thinking that South African companies, due to some peoples actions! do not share that same sentiment!...... Well Mike thats just not true...., generalising is a very easy thing to do....., and that this is what you are doing....., and to be honest Mike that is wrong..... As it is wrong to break any game law, and/or regulation international or other wise.

Mike in the same breath, I feel that all U.S. based booking agents are crooks and nothing but common thiefs! as I got nailed by tusk and hide safari's AKA (Destination wild) an american based booking agent for $2500-00! but it's not as if I run around making statements regarding U.S. based booking agents promoting hunts in Africa, in all actuality I have been rocked twice by a U.S. booking agent, the first was a $10 000 shot!

In closing (and this I am serious about as I refuse to keep on posting on this subject) I would like to give a word of caution to any person wanting to book a hunt in any country this includes all African countries,

NOT ALL LEGAL OUTFITTERS DO HONEST BUISINESS, AND HUNT REPUTABLE AREAS, BIG BOOKING AGENCIES ARE NOT ALWAYS YOUR BEST OPTION AS SOME OF THEM ARE JUST AS INTWINED IN THE MESS AS SO CALLED CROOKED OUTFITTERS.

I would also like to add Mike that the situation in Zimbabwe, is one that will remain so, even when goverments changes, remunarations are a novel idea but this is where it stops, keep in mind that I am an african.... I know how Africans work and think......., there will come a change in goverment you are correct..... but it will not change what has already been done........ this is sad or dissapointing to hear and to realize when you first rap your head around it..... but in time you learn to live with it,

Farmers will be invited to become productive and play a important role in the economy, but they will never, NEVER get their land back, the reason for this being is the fact that no one not even the oposition of Bob, sees that the mentioned land, ever having belonged to the deed owners, same goes for South Africa.

This is the unclouded harsh truth of Africa, I am an African, I love Africa, I will die in Africa, I love all its people, I love its soil, I love the culture, but Democracy my friend is a Western ideal, and one that will never ever be victorious in Africa.

We can all wish for all to receive what is rightfully theirs one day (I would be a very happy man as well as reasonably wealthy) but that is it, we can but wish.

My very best always.

JUST FOR CLARITY CLASSIC & MIKE70560 THE CROOKED OUTFITTER YOU ARE DEALING WITH HAS THE GUTS TO REPLY TO THREADS IN HIS OWN NAME. A NAME THAT STANDS ON MULTIPLE SHOWS EVERY YEAR IN THE US AND ONLY THE US.

I HAVE HUNTED UNIT 1, UNIT 4 AS WELL AS PANDA MASUI, I ALSO HUNT CHEWORE MUKWICHI (GOOD LEOPARD) I DO NOT HUNT THE GWAYI OR ANY SO CALLED PRIVATE PROPERTY. I DO FEEL THAT YOUR WAY OF "DOING GOOD BY FELLOW HUNTERS" IS AN EXTREMELY ARROGANT, KNOW IT ALL, UNIFORMED WAY TO GO ABOUT IT, BUT AS THEY SAY EACH TO HIS OWN. I WOULD CAUTION YOU NOT TO LABEL COUNTRIES OR OUTFITTERS AND TO ONLY MAKE A DESICION ONCE ALL THE FACTS ARE IN.

ONCE AGAIN IF THIS IS THE WAY THE AH MEMBERS GO ABOUT WORKING IT LEAVES VERY LITTLE TO BE DESIRED, THANKS FOR BEING WHAT I WOULD POLITLY REFER TO AS JERKS NO WONDER THE HUNTING FRATERNITY IS IN THE KIND OF SHIT THAT WE ARE IN AND THAT GREEN PEACE IS HAMMERING US FROM ALL SIDES.

I TRULY DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AS I HAVE SAID AND EXPLAINED MORE THAN WHAT IS NEEDED.

hi jaco i think you have stood up for yourself commendably, and your reply #23 was well thought out. the second to last paragraph about democracy being a western ideal is also something i have trouble trying to make people understand. it is wll known that certain south african operators are screwing zimbabwe, but one cant tar all people with the same brush.

Spike thanks for the reply, it is unfortunate but true, yes. It is also unfortunate that every time my name is searched for on this site that this will come up and that is most probably the most dissapointing fact, it creates a doubt which is unfair as well as unsubstantiated.

Once again thanks.
My best always.

JUST FOR CLARITY CLASSIC & MIKE70560 THE CROOKED OUTFITTER YOU ARE DEALING WITH HAS THE GUTS TO REPLY TO THREADS IN HIS OWN NAME. A NAME THAT STANDS ON MULTIPLE SHOWS EVERY YEAR IN THE US AND ONLY THE US.

I HAVE HUNTED UNIT 1, UNIT 4 AS WELL AS PANDA MASUI, I ALSO HUNT CHEWORE MUKWICHI (GOOD LEOPARD) I DO NOT HUNT THE GWAYI OR ANY SO CALLED PRIVATE PROPERTY. I DO FEEL THAT YOUR WAY OF "DOING GOOD BY FELLOW HUNTERS" IS AN EXTREMELY ARROGANT, KNOW IT ALL, UNIFORMED WAY TO GO ABOUT IT, BUT AS THEY SAY EACH TO HIS OWN. I WOULD CAUTION YOU NOT TO LABEL COUNTRIES OR OUTFITTERS AND TO ONLY MAKE A DESICION ONCE ALL THE FACTS ARE IN.

ONCE AGAIN IF THIS IS THE WAY THE AH MEMBERS GO ABOUT WORKING IT LEAVES VERY LITTLE TO BE DESIRED, THANKS FOR BEING WHAT I WOULD POLITLY REFER TO AS JERKS NO WONDER THE HUNTING FRATERNITY IS IN THE KIND OF SHIT THAT WE ARE IN AND THAT GREEN PEACE IS HAMMERING US FROM ALL SIDES.

I TRULY DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AS I HAVE SAID AND EXPLAINED MORE THAN WHAT IS NEEDED.

I am not sure what crooked outfitter you are referring to. Classis and I have never hunted together nor have even hunted with the same outfitter (that I know of). I am not an agent nor have I ever made a penny from hunting, although I have spent plenty.

Please do tell us who this crooked outfitter is.

My name is Mike Burke by the way. It is on my website which sells nothing.

Mike you are treating me as a crooked outfitter, Honestly having to explain something in context as simple as this proves that your opinion or assumption of me should and can not be taken to heart.

You accused somebody I deal with as being a crooked outfitter, I am curious as to whom you are referring.

Mike I am the outfitter that you and Mike are dealing with on this thread, I am the guy you are in a slight but measurable way acusing of hunting non legit areas. I am the so called dubious outfitter that is answering on this thread in my real name, I am Jaco Strauss and You are the only one that has hinted at acusing anyone of something, I truly believed that I was dealing with a pretty clued up individual up to know, But it has become very apparent that I was mistaken!

Did not read it properly, but you also seem to have some trouble comprehending also after I agreed with you to a great extent, complemented you, and wished you luck then you came back and attacked me again. I am pretty clued up and hopefully will spend three months in the upcoming year in Zim, depending on my job. So after that hopefully I will be "clued up" a little more.

No problem as that is your opinion, unfortunatly as stated earlier every time my name is searched on this site this will come up and that creates enough doubt, so thanks for the compliment.

Hope you enjoy you trip.

hi mike 70560 i was just wondering how you are so passionate about zim, as according to your website you had never been to africa till 2008, and zim till 2009?. two years isnt that long a time i would have thought to get so involved with a country. by the way i am not having a go , just curious.

I have a friend who had property stolen in 2001 who lived there since 1985. Her husband was 4-5 generation Rhodesian. I have known her for over 40 years. It was not until 2008 I had the financial ability and time to go to Africa. After what happened to my friend and other issues in Zim I was concerned to go there. In 2009 I went to Zim without my wife (safety concern), reconnected with my friend. After realizing that Zim is safe and the vast majority of peaceful I fell in love with the country and the people and made three trips in about an 18 month period. My wife feels the same about the country as me.

Spike

On another note I believe without the good operators in South Africa the wildlife in that country would be decimated. I wish those guys success in this tough economy.

Zambia will be the next country I hunt (after another trip or two to Zim). The Luwanga Valley is very appealing.

I started this thread seeking information on the lay of land (litterally) of a couple of areas in Zimbabwe...from both the Zim novice & Zim veteran's perspective. Some of the info I've taken on board and have persued further elsewhere & some I have discarded . Thank you all.
As for Jaco Strauss...well without pissing in his pocket...he's a great bloke and I consider myself fortunate to know him and very fortunate indeed to have hunted with the man. I would be glad of his company anywhere.

Regards to all

Jon

I spent a few days with Jaco, Reinhard & Carolin in Zim a few years ago. Great people and I would not hesitate to book with them

Anton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,