Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA,Military Pistol Club
Hunted
Australia,Zimbabwe
Well just under a week to go till my hunt in Zimbabwe. It has been more then a year in the planning and final few days seem to dragging along slowly.

The plan is to hunt Cape Buffalo in the Omay South for 7 Days and then relocate to Nicholson South and Mbalabala for 7 days plains game. Hopefully, I will be able to post photos of a monster buff on return.

As this is my first trip to Africa, and even after doing all the research that one does for this type of venture(no small thanks to AH for all the great advise that has been posted here over the many months) I am still unsure what to expect. No doubt that most guys who are in the same position as I think the same thing. Well I guess I will soon find out.

Never thought it would this challenging to keep the gear to within the luggage restrictions imposed by airlines even though I have read dozens of packing list suggested by different outfitters. It seems that every time I look at the pile of gear I think of something else that would be handy to have. Yes, I know that I have to be ruthless and take only the essentials.

The rifles for the hunt are both shooting well and have both not missed a beat in terms of reliability. I have spent lots of time shooting both and also verifying that both return to zero when the scopes are removed and then re-attached. Hopefully both will make the long journey and arrive in one piece.

Other then to enjoy the hunt any last advise?

Cheers
Ben

Ben...enjoy your trip...we will be waiting to see your story and pictures when you return...

I found that the check list you build is useful...

I put extra items in with my rifle and then my ammo and extra ammo for the PH in my check bag and i placed all medicine and glass work and camera in my carry on...

I went with about 30 extra pound of items to give away...

Okay just one problem with this.
I don't get to go! :crying:

As I've heard Craig Boddington say, savor every moment of this experience including any unexpected challenges you may incur. You only get one first safari! If after 5 minutes into your first day of hunting, you aren't already thinking about how you're going to get back, I'd be surprised. Have a great trip!

Ben,

Will you be in the Chifudze camp? Who will be your PH? None of that matters... Good luck, enjoy your time in Africa, the Omay is a fun place.

Thanks for that James, I am trying to keep weight down as we traveling from Bulawayo to the concession by vehicle. My gun case and rifles weigh 18 kg (40lbs) alone.

Agree with you on packing absolutely essential items in carry on.

Will definitely post a report on the hunt and pictures.

For those who are interested the Omay is part of CAMPFIRE. I found that there is not a lot of information available on this particular area. However, from my own research it is a very remote part Zim and is divided into Omay North and South. Omay North going all the way to shores of lake Kariba in the Zambezi valley. The entire are is some 2 million acres. This should make it very good big game country. To the east it borders Matusodona NP and to the west the Sengwa river. When I pulled this area up on Goggle Earth there seems to a limited road network so I am guessing hunting will involve lots of miles on foot (just the way I like it).

The last information that I have received from the outfitter (Mbalabala Safaris) suggest that there are lots of Elephant to add to the challenge of the hunt. My hunting companion will be also hunting tusk less cow and with a bit of luck I will have the opportunity to tag along as backup.

Ben,

I was in Omay South for two weeks in April and May this year. If you pm me you email address I can send you some Google kmz files showing the location of the camp and some hunting areas.

Mike,
Not certain which camp we will at, I believe that will depend on where the best hunting is when we arrive. Originally the plan was to hunt Omay North, however this was changed to Omay South as the hunting is better.

The two PH's will be Matt Stanton and Quintin Wessels. Matt is the son of Charlie Stanton (owner of Mbalabala Safaris) and Quintin is Matts long time friend. From what I know from Charlie he started his apprenticeship in the early 80s under Barrie Duckworth who was his friend from boyhood and also neighbor. I am sure that most guys with any interest in African know of the Duckworth families hunting experiece.

I hunted Omay North in 2009 and shot a tusk less and buffalo. Each has its pluses but you will do well chasing buff in the South. IIRC Quinten was in camp when I hunted in 2009. I rode around with him a couple of days after my hunt was over just goofing off.

I hunted in Moz and Zim last year with Neil Duckworth. Mr Barrie was in both camps with us. Good people.

Ben,

Enjoy your trip to Zim. I have been there twice and its a neat country and this being your first safari, we all envy you. I assume you know the official currency there has been the US dollar for a while now and it appears to be helping the country quite a lot. I was just there in June and my PH pointed out several things to me that he attributed to our dollar as being helpful. Look forward to hearing all about it. Have a great hunt and we wish you the best of luck!!

Scott

Just looking at the Goggle files that Mike sent me. I can almost see that big dugga boy waiting for me. LOL

Best of luck to you, take some great pictures and shoot straight!

Wish you the best of luck, and have a great time !

Manyuli camp, Omay south, at the edge of the Ume near the gorge, great for Buff and tuskless at this time of the year, enjoy.

Mart

Take twice as much pictures as you initially intended. Good luck and may the wind be always on your side.

Thanks guys for all you best wishes. I think I got the camera gear under control with 10 x 1 gig sd cards for both a DSLR and a backup point & shoot camera. In addition I am also taking a video camera. With a bit of luck I should have tones of pics and perhaps some good video footage to post when I get back.

Martin,
Thanks for the info on the camp we will be at, looking forward to perhaps meeting you there.

Ben
I've been just once... to SA. Loved every minute of it as I'm sure you will with Zim. Sounds like you are all under control so very best of luck mate and eat it all up.
(s..t I am envious!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg