ZIMBABWE: Has Anyone Hunted With Somerby Safaris?

TheWhitetailNut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska, Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
I drove the family up to the Grand Rapids, Mi. hunting show yesterday in the hopes of discovering another place to hunt. I ran into several African operators, most of which were far more interested in their chairs than booking hunts. One of the good ones I would find was the aunt and uncle of the PH I spent most of my time with in Namibia this past year, small world.

I spent some time talking to someone from Somerby Safaris. I'm looking for a Buffalo hunt for 2020 as my 2019 schedule is pretty packed. The hunt we discussed was in Zimbabwe and it seemed very promising. Has anyone hunted with them? I know they do alot of hunts in South Africa, but I'm not really interested in a S. Africa Buffalo.

If not them, then who? I'm looking for a more remote hunt and am very comfortable in a spartan camp. Would really prefer to avoid air charter costs etc. I have seen some incredible offers to add hippo, or non trophy elephant and one of those would be a huge bonus if possible. I also have great interest in a big Waterbuck or Nyala but again not necessary. The focus for this hunt will be Buffalo and I'm pretty open to any country or region given a modicum of safety from 2 legged predators.

Have no intell on Somerby but I don't think you would go wrong getting a hold of Nyamazana Safaris, Wayne hunts Zim. Send him a PM and see what your options are...lots of glowing reviews from his hunters. Best of luck during the planning.

Almost went with Sombery in 2015 for elephant but a former AH sponsor beat Droms price. Sombery comes to our Kansas City show every year and many members of our SCI chapter have hunted with them. I have not heard any complaints.

The questions that always needs asking when arranging a hunt in Zimbabwe.
Who is the Zimbabwe Outfitter and the Zimbabwe PH?

Check out Motsomi Safaris in their Tan area.

Guy I hunted Argentina with went 2x with Somerbys and introduced me to Drom at the DSC convention. He highly recommended them.

This is the question you should ask anybody offering hunts in Zimbabwe:

1: The specific name of the hunting area. All areas whether they are government safari areas, communal areas, or private areas have names like Matetsi One, Omay North, or Cawston. If the answer is something like “we are hunting near Matetsi”, I would become nervous.

2: The name of the licensed Zimbabwe operator. A licensed Zim operator will have a HOP number that you can verify, and will make certain all paperwork such as the TR2 is proper.

3: The name of the licensed Zimbabwe PH. This is important. A foreign PH cannot conduct a hunt in Zimbabwe. The hunt must be conducted by a licenced Zim PH. The Zim PH must be present at all times.

4: If you are exporting trophies who will perform the pack and dip and shipping to the US. I would become nervous if it was somebody not in Zim.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with using an agent to book a hunt in Zimbabwe. It is legal and there are long time reputable firms doing so.

There are a host of AH Sponsors from Zimbabwe that have excellent reputations that offer Buffalo hunts in remote areas.

Good luck with your research.

Mabalabala Safaris, Nyamazaan Safaris and Shangani Safaris are good buff operators in Zim.
Good luck...

Hi
I can offer you a free range buffalo hunt in my makuti Safaris area in the Zambezi valley. This area is a wild and rugged Safari area with no fences. The area is bordering the famous mana pools national park in the east and charara safari area on the west. Kariba lake is a stone throw away in the south of the concession. Hunting is done in a true conventional manner of track and locate. There is numerous old dagga boys in the area and one can be selective and make sure to get a beautiful bull.
Please feel free to send me an email or alternately send me your phone number and I can call you. My address is lindonstanton@yahoo.com

Regards
Lin stanton

There is nothing wrong with using an agent to book a hunt in Zimbabwe. It is legal and there are long time reputable firms doing so.

And bad ones as well.

I can offer you a classic safari in Matetsi unit 5, close to Victoria Falls has excellent buffalo and plains game.
This is a vast free range concession adjacent to Victoria Falls with herds of buffalo in excess of 800 per herd.
No fences, no people and a 1 hour drive from Victoria falls international airport.

zimbabwe-hunting-areas-map-large.jpg
Matetsi-Map-2-New.jpg

Very reputable outfitter ! You wont go wrong on Somerby !

I drove the family up to the Grand Rapids, Mi. hunting show yesterday in the hopes of discovering another place to hunt. I ran into several African operators, most of which were far more interested in their chairs than booking hunts. One of the good ones I would find was the aunt and uncle of the PH I spent most of my time with in Namibia this past year, small world.

I spent some time talking to someone from Somerby Safaris. I'm looking for a Buffalo hunt for 2020 as my 2019 schedule is pretty packed. The hunt we discussed was in Zimbabwe and it seemed very promising. Has anyone hunted with them? I know they do alot of hunts in South Africa, but I'm not really interested in a S. Africa Buffalo.

If not them, then who? I'm looking for a more remote hunt and am very comfortable in a spartan camp. Would really prefer to avoid air charter costs etc. I have seen some incredible offers to add hippo, or non trophy elephant and one of those would be a huge bonus if possible. I also have great interest in a big Waterbuck or Nyala but again not necessary. The focus for this hunt will be Buffalo and I'm pretty open to any country or region given a modicum of safety from 2 legged predators.
Sent you a PM conversation. Check your inbox. Thanks.

This has been a great deal to sort through. Thank you all!

I’ve hunted with Somerby 3 times. Planning 4th trip now for 2021. Brought my dad to RSA on second trip and wife on 3rd to remote camp in Zimbabwe. All were great trips. If you have specific questions I’d be happy to answer them. They run a smooth operation.

I’ve hunted with Somerby 3 times. Planning 4th trip now for 2021. Brought my dad to RSA on second trip and wife on 3rd to remote camp in Zimbabwe. All were great trips. If you have specific questions I’d be happy to answer them. They run a smooth operation.
Hello from Texas! I just came across this post as I am researching a hunt with Somerby Safaris hopefully for summer 2022. Would you mind chatting with me when you have the time? Thanks ! Steve

Hello from Texas! I just came across this post as I am researching a hunt with Somerby Safaris hopefully for summer 2022. Would you mind chatting with me when you have the time? Thanks ! Steve
They are good folks.

I recommend Somerby as well. Have known Drom and crew for a handful of years. Hunted with them in 2016 and am headed back in April 22. I was introduced by someone that has hunted with them 3 times and is heading back this year.

Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross