ZIMBABWE: Has Anyone Hunted With Somerby Safaris?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by TheWhitetailNut, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TheWhitetailNut

TheWhitetailNut AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
    I drove the family up to the Grand Rapids, Mi. hunting show yesterday in the hopes of discovering another place to hunt. I ran into several African operators, most of which were far more interested in their chairs than booking hunts. One of the good ones I would find was the aunt and uncle of the PH I spent most of my time with in Namibia this past year, small world.

I spent some time talking to someone from Somerby Safaris. I'm looking for a Buffalo hunt for 2020 as my 2019 schedule is pretty packed. The hunt we discussed was in Zimbabwe and it seemed very promising. Has anyone hunted with them? I know they do alot of hunts in South Africa, but I'm not really interested in a S. Africa Buffalo.

If not them, then who? I'm looking for a more remote hunt and am very comfortable in a spartan camp. Would really prefer to avoid air charter costs etc. I have seen some incredible offers to add hippo, or non trophy elephant and one of those would be a huge bonus if possible. I also have great interest in a big Waterbuck or Nyala but again not necessary. The focus for this hunt will be Buffalo and I'm pretty open to any country or region given a modicum of safety from 2 legged predators.

DLB210 and CAustin like this.

2. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    Have no intell on Somerby but I don't think you would go wrong getting a hold of Nyamazana Safaris, Wayne hunts Zim. Send him a PM and see what your options are...lots of glowing reviews from his hunters. Best of luck during the planning.

3. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Almost went with Sombery in 2015 for elephant but a former AH sponsor beat Droms price. Sombery comes to our Kansas City show every year and many members of our SCI chapter have hunted with them. I have not heard any complaints.

4. Ridge Top Ranch

Ridge Top Ranch AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S. Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest & Limpopo
    Ditto. Know a bunch of people who have gone on multiple hunts with them. All seemed happy.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    The questions that always needs asking when arranging a hunt in Zimbabwe.
    Who is the Zimbabwe Outfitter and the Zimbabwe PH?

6. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    Check out Motsomi Safaris in their Tan area.

7. Mike B

Mike B AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
    Guy I hunted Argentina with went 2x with Somerbys and introduced me to Drom at the DSC convention. He highly recommended them.

8. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
    This is the question you should ask anybody offering hunts in Zimbabwe:

1: The specific name of the hunting area. All areas whether they are government safari areas, communal areas, or private areas have names like Matetsi One, Omay North, or Cawston. If the answer is something like “we are hunting near Matetsi”, I would become nervous.

2: The name of the licensed Zimbabwe operator. A licensed Zim operator will have a HOP number that you can verify, and will make certain all paperwork such as the TR2 is proper.

3: The name of the licensed Zimbabwe PH. This is important. A foreign PH cannot conduct a hunt in Zimbabwe. The hunt must be conducted by a licenced Zim PH. The Zim PH must be present at all times.

4: If you are exporting trophies who will perform the pack and dip and shipping to the US. I would become nervous if it was somebody not in Zim.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2019
    pete458lott, Royal27 and Edge like this.

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    There is nothing wrong with using an agent to book a hunt in Zimbabwe. It is legal and there are long time reputable firms doing so.

There are a host of AH Sponsors from Zimbabwe that have excellent reputations that offer Buffalo hunts in remote areas.

Good luck with your research.

10. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    Mabalabala Safaris, Nyamazaan Safaris and Shangani Safaris are good buff operators in Zim.
    Good luck...

pete458lott and Edge like this.

11. Mbalabala Safaris

Mbalabala Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi
    I can offer you a free range buffalo hunt in my makuti Safaris area in the Zambezi valley. This area is a wild and rugged Safari area with no fences. The area is bordering the famous mana pools national park in the east and charara safari area on the west. Kariba lake is a stone throw away in the south of the concession. Hunting is done in a true conventional manner of track and locate. There is numerous old dagga boys in the area and one can be selective and make sure to get a beautiful bull.
    Please feel free to send me an email or alternately send me your phone number and I can call you. My address is lindonstanton@yahoo.com

Regards
    Lin stanton

Edge likes this.

12. Bushpig4Ever

Bushpig4Ever AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    And bad ones as well.

13. Martin Pieters Safaris

Martin Pieters Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
    Hunted:
    Most countries
    I can offer you a classic safari in Matetsi unit 5, close to Victoria Falls has excellent buffalo and plains game.
    This is a vast free range concession adjacent to Victoria Falls with herds of buffalo in excess of 800 per herd.
    No fences, no people and a 1 hour drive from Victoria falls international airport.

zimbabwe-hunting-areas-map-large.jpg Matetsi-Map-2-New.jpg

14. SafariA

SafariA AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Very reputable outfitter ! You wont go wrong on Somerby !

15. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    Sent you a PM conversation. Check your inbox. Thanks.

16. TheWhitetailNut

TheWhitetailNut AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Ontario, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Namibia
    This has been a great deal to sort through. Thank you all!

Lee M likes this.