ZIMBABWE: Elephant, Leopard, Cape Buffalo & Plains Game with Nyamazana Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Edge, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    US, South Africa
    Awesome report, congrats on your fine trophies.

Edge likes this.

2. gesch

gesch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
    Hunted:
    WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x2)
    Thank you for the great report. Did you get a chance to eat any of the steaks? How do they compare with beef? This bull looks massive to me. You said he was a bit “soft”. How can you tell this on your pictures? How can you tell in the field? This definitety was the hunt of a lifetime. Congratulations!

Edge likes this.

3. gesch

gesch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
    Hunted:
    WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x2)
    I thought the format of your report was really great. It was mega informative with suspense built in. Wow! Do you write professionally in any way? Thanks again.

Edge likes this.

4. MikeNC

MikeNC AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Zambia
    Really enjoyed this! Thanks for Sharing and Congrats!

gesch and Edge like this.

5. Edge

Edge BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
    Trying to reply on the drive to DSC, hope it makes sense!

Thanks for coming along on the adventure. I don’t write professionally, it takes me forever to write these day by day reports. Thank you for the kind words!

We did eat filet and liver, was very good. I would say compares quite closely to beef but it is wild so lean vs corn fed fatty. Taste was mild and pleasant.

The bull was good sized in body, horn length and width and believe was the dominate breeding bull of this herd. Soft meaning the horns haven’t gotten rock hard over the entire span of the horns. This one had some soft horn in the center of the “V”.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how to tell if a bull is soft from a distance of 150-200 yards, maybe lighter color in the “V” and very front of the boss on each side of the “V” for a few inches. Probably would need a few moments with binoculars to discern. If you are closer, say within 40-50 yards an experienced eye can probably pick it up quickly. There are other indicators of age in the shape and drop of the horns as well as the tips of the horns being very sharp or dull. A PH will take all these clues into account before giving the go-ahead to shoot. There are some good books out there, look up Kevin Robertson, Africa’s Most Dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    gesch likes this.

6. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Edge, that was one hell of a hunt. Nice trophies all the way around. Your next one is going to have to "go some" to beat it. Or are you going to be and observer while your wife hunts?

Edge likes this.

7. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Yes sir, truly hunt of a lifetime! Have a few more days to post as the action wasn’t over yet, will have to wait until after DSC to finish.

Wife tells me tonight she wants to shoot a “fuzzy white sheep thing”, not sure what that means yet! @jacques smith and his wife are trying to talk her into a Marco Polo Sheep, nice friends I have :A Bang Head:

Maybe I can convince her of a Texas Dall instead!

jacques smith likes this.

8. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    After the successes you had on your hunt, it's Marco Polo for sure. Fair is fair, in this case Texas Dall(s) would just be for practice. There is no other way to stuff that genie back in the bottle.

9. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Received my CITES Leopard import permit a few days ago from USFWS. I'm having both hunts combined into one shipment and hope to have them out of Zimbabwe within the next few weeks!

This good news has given me some drive to finish out the last few days of the hunt report.

Day 12 – 25 October

What else to do when you are out of Trophy Fee money? We do more fishing along with the native wildlife! The fishing was a bit slow for the two humans but the Pied Kingfisher put on a display!

Pied Kingfisher

Pied Kingfisher 1.jpg

Pied Kingfisher 2.jpg

We did manage to catch a few bream, look at that smile from Wayne, the man does like to fish!

Wayne Bream.jpg

Since I had taken everything on this trip except for the Eland and a Grysbok, I volunteered to head back to Bulawayo early so Wayne could catch up with his preparations for his next clients due to arrive the day I was to leave. The gas and food shortages were causing all sorts of issues and there was no reason to keep him in the bush any longer. He agreed and we made a plan to leave the next morning, Friday.

We fished to lunchtime and went to check on the progress of the elephant tusks, the guys were finally able to break them free. We placed them on the farm scales and they were a closely matched pair, 23.15 Kg and 23.35 Kg for the other, over 100lbs total weight. We brought the tusks back to the lodge and snapped a few photos.

Elephant Tusks.jpg

We launched the “barge” to head out onto the lake to do a little more fishing with Bass being the target. As we were passing by a large rock, we watched two lizards lit up in brilliant colors having a battle royal over a female.

Lizards.jpg

I was able to get one good bass, not as big as the one in August but a great fight! Wayne was also able to land a nice one.

Ed Bass (2).jpg

Wayne Bass.jpg

As the sun began to sink towards the horizon, we headed back to the landing as we wanted to give the Grysbok one final try before departing in the morning. We switched from fishing back to hunting mode and Sam broke out the spotlight as we began our search. We had run across a few Grysbok during the daylight hours but it was always at an inopportune time and could never get a shot at a good male.

Sam spots a good bull and we maneuver to get a shot. I can see the nice horns through the Zeiss scope and the front of his chest. I don’t want to put a bullet through the shoulders and wanted to place it further back behind the shoulder to not ruin the cape but the rest of his body was covered by grass. I estimated where I thought the shot should go, put the red dot on the spot and fired.

My guess was a bit off and the shot went low, these antelope are tiny! We did a short chase through the bush with flashlights and I was able to get another shot and end the chase. I was really pleased with the Grysbok as we had hunted this area over 20 days between the two safaris before I could connect! He would measure out at 2 2/8”. I’m going to have Dennis Harris @The Artistry of Wildlife put together my 3 tiny antelope into one display; Duiker, Klipspringer and Grysbok.

Grysbok.jpg

After dropping off the Grysbok at the skinning shed, we headed back to the lodge and this old elephant bull stepped out onto the road in front of us. His tail was hairless and he had some bowel issues, possibly had picked up some plastic and was having trouble passing it through. We waited as he slowly moved across the road and into the darkness.

Old Elephant.jpg

It's going to be tough leaving the Drummond Ranch in the morning!

10. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    The moment you cut the tail off your elephant will live forever in your mind sir! Well done And congratulations

Philip Glass, Wheels and Edge like this.

11. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Day 13 + – 26 October 2019

Up early and start packing up the kit and sorting through the gratuities for the staff, off to breakfast and then to the skinning shed. We didn’t want to leave the leopard skin and skull and elephant tusks on site and would drop them off at TCI in Bulawayo to be measured/registered. Since the ban on importing elephant into the States is still in place, I chose to have exact fiberglass reproductions made up by TCI. For those wondering, exact reproductions were $1100 and should be ready around October this year. We confirmed the weight of the tusks as they both registered 24kg on the TCI scales.

Andy Hunter, Chipitani Safaris, is doing the dip and pack work and would take care of the transportation to Harare where he is located and finish up the export paperwork. Lynn Duncan at LD Forwarding will handle the shipping to Coppersmith’s in Chicago.

Hats off to Wayne and his @Nyamazana Safaris crew for another great Safari! If you want a Leopard, get a hold of Wayne and hunt the Drummond Ranch. This area is truly great leopard habitat and has some good elephant bulls as well.

Thank you to Dave and Di Drummond for your hospitality, I really enjoyed our dinner conversations and hopefully Michelle and I can get back to visit you and the gorgeous countryside!

A huge Thank You to my loving wife Michelle, who is so understanding and without hesitation gave me the go-ahead to embark on another Safari so soon after we had returned from Zimbabwe. I sure missed her company on this trip and we all missed her great photos!

combo pic.jpg

Until the next safari….

Edge

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    (y)

13. shootist~

shootist~ AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    Great write-up!
    Safe travels.

Edge likes this.

14. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    Edge likes this.

15. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Edge, You took some GREAT TROPHIES, Getting the permit it's all downhill run from here now. Loved the report.

Edge likes this.

16. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Glad I was able to finally share the entire story, I definitely procrastinated on getting the last few days published!

Thanks again for reading this far and for all the kind words,

Edge

jacques smith likes this.

17. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
  18. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Knap gedaan(well done) my friend

gesch and Edge like this.

19. FRST

FRST New Member

Hunted:
    NZ
    Great yarn Edge, appreciate you taking the time to retell it. You could get it published, I’m sure a magazine would seriously look at it.

20. Edge

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    My pleasure and thank you!