ZIMBABWE: Elephant Hunt With Wayne Van Den Bergh At Nyamazana Safaris

Some here emailed me for additional photos. I didn't put them on at first as I didn't want to monopolize the forum's space.]

You, or anyone else is welcome to add as many pictures as they need to share the story. Don't worry about space.

Cal, congratulations and thank you for sharing. How many doubles does that make that you've brought back to their original intended game fields?? How are you storing the trophy bits over there until USFWS cures its cranio-rectal inversion syndrome?

Thanks for the pictures. They provide vivid clarity to your report. Congrats on the elephant.

Cal, did you harvest your elephant with handloads or factory ammunition?

Gents:
I have not used factory ammo since the late 1970s. In those days it was .405 and the express Winchesters (.50-110 and .50-95) that had my interest. By the late '80s it was doubles and in those days no factory ammo was available, anywhere.

Brandon:
I have used my Wilkes .600 on six trips to Africa and Australia as well as a moose in Alaska. My .450 no2 Lang has taken buffalo, giraffe, and grizzly. Most of my hunting has been done with a .450-400 Harrison and Hussey owned my Douglas Jardine (google him for a cooll story), and now the .500 Watson. In Alaska and the US I have shot bison, caribou, moose, bear, and whitetail with doubles also, but shooting two bison in South Dakota with my 4-bore does not count as an intended game field!!

The elephant feet and tusks will be stored in Zim until if and when the ban is lifted.

I have picked up a Rigby double in .350 no2 and will take it for caribou this September 2-10. I also have a selection of black powder cartridge doubles from .450 to 4-bore but I have not hunted with them as much as the nitro doubles. I have thought about bringing my .577 bpe on the caribou trip in case a grizzly wanders close by.

As I am getting older it will soon be time to pass on the doubles and enter the rest home. Until then, there is still a bit of hunting to do in Africa and home.

Thanks for all your pleasant comments, gents.
Cal

What an exciting time! If I'd been with you, the elephant wouldn't have been the only one leaving spoor!
Congratulations on the mission accomplished!

Good day.
The hunt is about over and Wayne and I will make out way back to Bulawayo tomorrow. However I went out for a baboon (shot with Wayne's .375) and a good warthog with my .500. Here is a pic of the pig. Tonight, our last night in camp, we will drag the baboon and warthog to try to get a shot at a hyena. Cheers, Cal.
20170722_134322.jpg

Best of luck on that hyena!

Thanks, Ridgewalker.
Should be fun.
Cal

Best of luck on the hyena Cal. And something tells me you have many more hunts ahead of you so don't get rid of those gorgeous doubles anytime soon!

Cal that is a huge warthog! Sounds like you will putting him to good use. Always tough to have the end of a hunt come.... Good luck on the hyena. Bruce

Congrats Cal, that was a great experience !

Man you seem to have alot of my dream Guns! Cant you make a thread with some pictures of your collection of doubles?

Nice pig!!!!!!!!

Congrats Cal. That is a great looking camp as you said. Elephant hunting is an amazing experience!

Again, thank you fellas for the kind words. Yes, the railroad camp was amazing, a bit of the old Rhodesia that is gone forever. As to Coldswede's request (just above), this is my last nighnt in Zim and I will fly hoem tomorrow. I've got nothing to do so I will see if I can make a thread in the double rifles section . If I can't do it just now, I will do it when I return home on the 28th or shortly thereafter. (I will also include a few I have for sale).
Cheers, mates.
Cal

I'm lost. Will try when I get home. Too many photos and captions and when I was done, I could not find the post button.
Cal

good story,great hunt,on a positive note hope trump gets things turned around for hunters and that you get your tusks home where they belong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!