ZIMBABWE: Elephant Hunt With Mbalabala Safaris

pappy62

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I always wanted to hunt elephant, but never really thought I'd be able to, then I saw the benefit raffle for Phillip Smythe. I thought I'd be donating to good cause. Didn't really expect to win, in fact completely forgot that I had entered. That changed in the beginning of February when I was informed that I won the elephant hunt. My first reaction was, "Oh Crap!" Now, I already had a hunt booked for Cape Buffalo in Mozambique and plains game in South Africa for September. My daughter just bought a house, so I had a list of daddy-dos, plus my usual list of honey-dos, and we are in the process of building a cabin on some property that I own up north. To say we were busy, was an understatement. But there was no way I was going to pass this up!

I contacted Lin Stanton of Mbalabala Safaris, who donated the hunt and set up a date for the hunt. I was a little nervous because while I have hunted in South Africa twice, it was with a bow and never traveled internationally with a gun, never been to Zimbabwe, also never hunted dangerous game and never hunted with Mbalabala - I was covering a lot of new ground.

Preparations started right away with the usual stuff - checking passports, paperwork, contacting Travel Express, then working up loads for my 416 Ruger. While I owned the rifle for two years and had been to the range numerous times, I never filled the magazine, I always shot single-shot. At about six weeks before it was time to leave, I was checking my loads to make sure they fed properly and discovered that I could only get two shells in the magazine and one of them would pop out when I ejected the one in the chamber. Not good! Checked the lead time for Ruger and they were six to eight weeks. Called my local gun smith and he said he wasn't taking any work. When I explained my predicament, he agreed to work me into his schedule. A week later it was done, it had been assembled incorrectly at the factory.

Packing and passports in hand, we went for our COVID tests and we were on our way. We flew Ethiopian Air out of Dulles. Dulles to Addis Ababa to Victoria Falls. The flight was packed - I've never seen so much luggage! We changed planes in Addis Ababa, what a circus! Got off the plane to the tarmac, attendants arguing with each other as to who goes on what bus, there were about six people with guns who needed to be checked in, just to add more to the chaos. Finally, they took us down to the baggage handling area under the terminal and checked our guns. We piled back into the buses to our airplanes. Never even went into the terminal.

The flight to Victoria Falls was all but empty. Maybe 20 people on the whole plane. Checked through customs and were met by Adrian, one of the guides and Scott, one of the hunters. It was a two hour trip to the Mbalabala Lodge near Hwange. Got settled into our chalet, met the staff, and sat down by the Zambezi river and did some fishing for the afternoon. While we were down there, Helen, one of the staff, caught this little guy:
PXL_20210522_153026636.PORTRAIT_-_Copy[1].jpg

More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting patient/impatiently for the rest I think you know what I mean :ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to the report! Lin is a great guy and operator! Looks like Pierre with you fishing.

Waiting! Lin and I have been discussing a Buffalo hunt so I’m very interested to see how your hunt turned out and what you think.

cool deal

Very good start, please keep it coming. Oh yeah, we are not a patient bunch. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve heard great things about Lin, I’m sure you’re in for a great hunt!

Great start, interested in this. Lin seems like a really good guy

Please, please, please!

The Hwange camp is along the Zambezi River below Victoria Falls with beautiful views. There are four open air chalets with en suite baths. There is a dining room, bar and sitting area in the main lodge.
1623448420643.jpeg
1623448556564.jpeg

1623448729094.jpeg
1623448799167.jpeg

When we arrived there were three other hunters in camp, Scott, Mark and Michael. Scott had already shot a Cape Buffalo, was looking for a Hippo and Leopard and also shot bush buck. Michael shot a huge crocodile.

Day one of my hunt, started with breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon. We got on the road about 7am, staying fairly local, stopping with various locals to see if they had seen any sign of elephants. I was surprised to see the number of domestic animals roaming the roads, cattle, chickens, donkeys and goats galore! Checked out many leads, drove down many goat paths, but all we found was old sign. I was convinced at this point that the elephants heard I was coming and had all left Zimbabwe. The deer do it at home all the time -- I have trail camera photos to prove it. Lin assured me that there were still elephants in Zimbabwe.

My wife went around the grounds of the lodge to see the beach and the Cape Buffalo. She really appreciated that Helen was there to be her guide. She had an excellent time learning about the area and life in Zimbabwe.

Supper was excellent, bush buck, Kudu, potatoes and salad. Pudding for dessert!

We are going to get an early start in the morning...

I've been in that camp, it's a darn nice one! Looking forward to the hunt details!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you