Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Magnum hut club,SCI,BASC,BDS
Hunted
Zambia,Zimbawex3,C.A.R,Congo,CameroonX2,Beninx2,Botswana,South Africax2,Namibiax2,Tanzania,Krgyzstan,Canada,USA,Italy,France,Finland,Ireland,Spain,Czech Republic,Scotland,England,
Just a short report gentleman as I have just come back from an unsuccessful Elephant hunt in Zimbabwe just outside of Hwange with PH Rusty Lambushagne.Both Rusty and the trackers worked there butts off to Help me connect with a big bull but it just didn't happen....it was an amazing experience and I had a great time and we looked over a few smaller bulls and turned down a big bodied bull (35lbish) on the first morning.He mock charged us blowing red dust as he came...I mock s*** myself!
Due to a bad Maize crop this year the Elephant were not insentivised to come out of the park in numbers,later in the year will be better when they start searching for water.
I had a great experience and learnt lots and will have to start saving to try again!...hunting with Rusty was an honour and a privilege....
image.jpg

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
He mock charged us blowing red dust as he came...I mock s*** myself!

that's hilarious... And I would have done the same thing!

Glad you had a great experience. One that few of us will have.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Sorry it didn't work out for you this time. The old dilemma, hunt the harvest or the boreholes during the dry season.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

Why is the maze crop not good this year?

How many days was your hunt?

Which area were you in?

You certainly have a great attitude about it.

May Diana smile on you during your next elephant hunt!

All the best.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Sorry to hear about the poor luck.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike70560

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
Great to see Rusty hunting again.

Too bad you did not take a big bull, but it sounds like you had a good experience.

Big5

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
Environ . . . glad to hear you had a great hunting experience. Too bad you weren't able to connect with a nice bull.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
As Wheels said hope the trophy gods are with you on the next hunt. Is the bull pictured the one you passed on?
Charlie

Environ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Zambia,Zimbawex3,C.A.R,Congo,CameroonX2,Beninx2,Botswana,South Africax2,Namibiax2,Tanzania,Krgyzstan,Canada,USA,Italy,France,Finland,Ireland,Spain,Czech Republic,Scotland,England,
As Wheels said hope the trophy gods are with you on the next hunt. Is the bull pictured the one you passed on?
Charlie
no CAustin he was a young bull only carrying 20lbs or so, good luck on your upcoming ele hunt!
Wheels I was at the colliery area and the lower matestsi and it was a 10 day hunt

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I've heard most of Southern Africa is in a bad drought with crop failures everywhere.

Troy McLellan

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Love that photo it's gold! Tough luck on the hunt but, hey that's hunting we all go through it at some stage. Just makes you hungry for the next trip

Amado

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Environ, it's always tough but you sound like a true gentleman.

Best of luck next time!

m1972

Reaction score
Just a short report gentleman as I have just come back from an unsuccessful Elephant hunt in Zimbabwe just outside of Hwange with PH Rusty Lambushagne.Both Rusty and the trackers worked there butts off to Help me connect with a big bull but it just didn't happen....it was an amazing experience and I had a great time and we looked over a few smaller bulls and turned down a big bodied bull (35lbish) on the first morning.He mock charged us blowing red dust as he came...I mock s*** myself!
Due to a bad Maize crop this year the Elephant were not insentivised to come out of the park in numbers,later in the year will be better when they start searching for water.
I had a great experience and learnt lots and will have to start saving to try again!...hunting with Rusty was an honour and a privilege....
View attachment 40062

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you had a great experience, hopefully you will connect next time. Which area was this? I am hunting an area bordering Hwange this year, and was wondering if maybe it was the same one. Thanks!

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
nice write up eviron
sounds like your team had a red hot crack , just unfortunate that artemis wasn't smiling on you that week
great photo and sounds like lots of good memories.
hope you have a chance at a magnificient bull next time ........

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
if you had of scored would you still of not been able to bring your ivory home?i understand the ban has been extended through 2015.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
if you had of scored would you still of not been able to bring your ivory home?i understand the ban has been extended through 2015.

environ is from the uk not usa. but with the new eu crap would still have been at the mercy of some deskbound civil servant.............

paladin100

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi. I was in Zim a couple of weeks ago. Wheels, in relation to your question, I am told that, due to lack of rain at the correct time, the maize failed to "set" so that will mean real hardship for many in that country. Many in the continent I suppose. So, where will the food come from? I'm thinking China will step in and extend their already huge influence.
As to the elephants, the PH I was with was very elephant savvy and could talk me through their behaviour very comprehensively. I also "enjoyed" the head shake and charge and the old heart beat soared! What was my mentor's reaction? Nothing! Watched the bull come a bit closer and said "Hmmm, might need to give it a shout!" Which he did and the big fella stopped - thankfully.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Paladin,

Thanks for the information. I figured it had to be poor rains. Kind of tuff since last year they had so much rain.

Glad you had a great experience with the elephants. Did you have a successful hunt?

paladin100

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Wheels, I suppose I could say I had a successful hunt, but I didn't get the Eland I was after. The very fact of being out there for four days tracking them, finding some unsuitable ones and then finding a suitable one just as it was going over the boundary is just what hunting is. Funnily enough the rain came at a bad time for me - just before I arrived - thus meaning there was plenty water in puddles in the bush so the animals didn't have to come to the water holes. You've got to laugh!!
I saw a Porcupine, which I'd never seen before, a lioness bounding up the road ahead of us and a good male lion which obligingly stood not too far away and let us watch him. Oh, and coming out on the last day up the track to the main road - 50ks - plenty of Eland!!!

Environ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Great attitude Wheels...seeing the Eland on the last day is typical! I shot my Eland in Namibia on the last hour of the last day of my hunt :)

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Environ, wish you the best next time !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmenO521

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?