Zimbabwe Dip/Pack/Ship/Clear case study

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I thought you might want to know what it costs to get dip/pack to the USA for your own calculations.

In Zim, quality dip/pack $700

110kg freight, permits, flight,export $1540
(For buffalo, waterbuck, kudu, Hippo, hyena, bushbuck, impala) Harare to port of Chicago.

Roughly $500 for customs clearing via Coppersmith at the USA port.

So about $2740 before adding in domestic shipment to the taxidermist and his fees. Took 6 months to process Africa / CITES paperwork.

Data is what is, but bottom line is whatever you're certain your first Africa hunt's taxidermy is going to cost after doing the math...double it! Even though this wasn't my first rodeo my estimate was $700 less than it actually cost at this point in the process. (Air freight was higher than I suspected this year)

Wish I'd had this info when I started out so hopefully it will help someone on here. YMMV.

Thanks for the baseline. My stuff from Mozambique is supposed to be about $2,500 - $3,000 (dip/pack/crate/shipping) just to get to the U.S. port. Buffalo, sable, eland, hartebeest, reedbuck, warthog and zebra. D&L will do the clearing. As I get the actual costs I'll provide an update for reference.

For stuff coming out of zim or moz those numbers do not look that bad to me. I have seen some crazy numbers for just dip/pack. Is your hippo the whole skull or just the teeth?

110Kg. IF volumetric weight. No Hippo skull in there. Or they have Houdini working for them.

Sucks to get that kind of surprize.

No, no skull of a hippo.

Be advised readers that you pay more if remote and far from a major airport. Example: Bulawayo will cost you $500-$800 more than Harare based taxidermy dip/pack export. Why? Ground trucking to major city. Surely this is why another post mentioned high rates for Moz. I'd assume RSA should be more attractive freight prices.

Sounds close to what I have experienced. My P.H. does dip and pack from Andy for $600.00 per shipment, does not matter what number of animals, more for giraffe/elephant. My import has always been Cindi at WellWorld, Freight has run about $1200. then clearance here. A lot depends on where you are here in the states, close to import or here in the heartland extra$$. Like you say, as long as you are expecting it, not so bad. No one likes surprises, seems they are never less.

Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg