ZIMBABWE: Chifuti Safaris Cape Buffalo & Hippo

I completely agree. It does change you. Read enough hunt reorts here and I think you will see it is a common theme!!! :) I go back next May and will take the wife. After that it is $$$ recovery mode and it will be a while.... I'd move to Africa, seriously.

Royal;
I'm suffering the same affliction.... Going back in about 6 weeks and planning to go back again next March (preferred) or April.

If it wasn't for the unstable politics and possibility of property seizure by the Government, it would be an economical retirement destination. Housing and land is cheap as are general living cost... Problem is the Summers there are too hot and winters in MN are too cold. So that does not line up with optimal times to be in each place.

Royal;
I'm suffering the same affliction.... Going back in about 6 weeks and planning to go back again next March (preferred) or April.

If it wasn't for the unstable politics and possibility of property seizure by the Government, it would be an economical retirement destination. Housing and land is cheap as are general living cost... Problem is the Summers there are too hot and winters in MN are too cold. So that does not line up with optimal times to be in each place.

My wife and I have even discussed this. Her first trip will be next May, so I figure after that the retirement conversation will either heat up significantly, or die. LOL

I've even thought about the property seizure aspect and figure we could either just rent, or buy cheap enough that it would be worth the risk. Lord knows you can get a lot of real estate for the money right now, compared to the States. At least from what I've seen. I still have more research to do and a few more years to work!

Yea Royal, we hunted 8000 acres of great kudu ground that was for sale as well as another beautiful piece that was even bigger.. The conversation about the price got interrupted by a kudu that needed immediate shooting. And between converting Rand and US $ and hectares to acres... Not sure I had that correct so not even going to post what I think it was, but it sounded very reasonable. One does wonder if it is for sale because the owner is worried about loosing it to the land grab thing? It would be great to get some local input here.

As part of our tour in PE, the guide was pointing out the values of houses.... To say you could get a lot compared to almost anywhere in the States is an understatement.

My wife has suggested that renting for a few months at a time in various places around the World might be fun in retirement. Of course the business side of me hates paying rent and wants to invest.... Although I'm sure her approach is much simpler given the foreign country issues and all.

Glad this is your thread or we'd be way off topic!

It is a great topic though!!!! LOL

I don't have time right now, but think I will start a topic on this subject. It would be interesting to see both what other foreigners think about retiring to SA (or other countries) as well as what the advice would be from South Africans.

I don't know about the dollar per acre for ranch land, but I can tell you that I've done some looking on SA real estate sites and houses are very, very reasonable.

And the value of the dollar is strong right now. (Probably helps encourage some of the hunt deals we see!)

So if you watch the exchange rate you can pick up a significant difference there as well. I think the rate to buy Rand is about 13% lower now than when I changed US$ for Rand. That is significant on a larger deal.. Hell it is significant on some of these hunts!

Yeah, it is just over 10-1 right now. I don't follow it closely at all, but seem to recall that when I first went in 1999 it was 7-1?

I don't know enough to "invest" in SA, but I would consider buying a house over there for retirement and taking a risk. Time will tell.

11-1 or thereabouts today.

Royal 27 to the Rescue (at this moment play the theme from the Lone Ranger in your head)

Monday practices after a loss on Friday night is not conducive to having a positive outlook on the world. I went home read your report and I did this :):):):):):):):):):):):):):). I woke up this morning and I was still doing this :):):):):):):):):):):):):):).

Marvelous adventure Royal!

Truly Ol'Army Lives!(y)

Hey Royal,
Not sure how I missed it but I just got around to reading your report. Fantastic! The best part about reading it is sensing the appreciation you had just for the experience. I feel the same way brother. I especially liked the feelings and tribute to the buffalo you took. That feeling of finally realizing a lifelong dream is better than any drug around. Anyway, congrats on a fantastic safari. I'd hunt along side of you anytime.

Hey Royal,
Not sure how I missed it but I just got around to reading your report. Fantastic! The best part about reading it is sensing the appreciation you had just for the experience. I feel the same way brother. I especially liked the feelings and tribute to the buffalo you took. That feeling of finally realizing a lifelong dream is better than any drug around. Anyway, congrats on a fantastic safari. I'd hunt along side of you anytime.

Thank you. I truly appreciate it!

It really is interesting what you learn about yourself during an experience such as this. And one thing I didn't see coming was how much this hunt report would mean to me. Reading everyone's comments has been an experience in and of itself. We are all truly blessed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg