ZIMBABWE: Buffalo In The Save With Mokore Safaris Part Two

Thanks for writing it up. Great bill.

Some random photo's.....
2obJbwQ.jpg

tfkvaDV.jpg

hLW6s5U.jpg

48kFGOC.jpg

1f3ZXxc.jpg

After our hunt at Hammond, we spent a two days at Mokore's main camp. Here is my cabin. The camp is in a great location overlooking the Mokore river.

QrllIL2.jpg

Here is Barrie Duckworth (left) with my brother.
Barrie and his wife Bertie founded Mokore Safaris over 30 years ago. One of the first projects the Duckworth's undertook was to build this dam on the Mokore river. Water is essential to life. The Duckworth's have made a tremendous investment in wildlife conservation and it is evident that Barrie is rightfully very proud of his accomplishments.
It was interesting spending some time with Barrie. He should write an autobiography. It would be a fascinating read.

hLW6s5U.jpg

Final picture...Elephant damage. It is ironic. Once eradicated from the Save´ Valley, elephants now overpopulate and threaten the entire Save´ Valley ecosystem. In the old days elephants would go on epic migrations to avoid over grazing one area. Africa's human population growth now prevents this from happening. There is no easy solution. Go hunt if you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Kevin! Thanks for helping me re-live a wonderful hunt. To all you who want to go, I hope you have a compatible hunting partner who shares your values, has similar enthusiasms and can go with you. I find that hunting 2x1 with an excellent professional hunter and a familiar, compatible hunting buddy makes the trip more than twice as interesting. You get to experience more, discuss and interpret for each other what you've experienced, and can share the memories later. Go do it!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the report, Barrie and Bertie are excellent host's, I spent a day fishing with Barrie at the end of our safari in 2016, great memories

Thanks for the report, Barrie and Bertie are excellent host's, I spent a day fishing with Barrie at the end of our safari in 2016, great memories
Thanks Neckdeep. I couldn't agree more, they are great host's. I would like to hunt from their Mozambique camp next trip.

I had the pleasure of hunting in C9 for 15 days in 2018, incredible area
Thanks Neckdeep. I couldn't agree more, they are great host's. I would like to hunt from their Mozambique camp next trip.

I am now relegated to photographer until my brother got his bull. This would happen two days later. Fast forward and it is day five and we now have two buffalo “in the salt” and five more days to hunt. While We really enjoyed buffalo hunting, it felt like we had entered into a more relaxed phase of the safari. Dalton had a discussion with Graham, the Hammond property manager. We were allowed five impala each and I was given the OK to hunt a Zebra. We inquired as to what animals are in surplus. He wanted us to hunt a bull giraffe and a lioness. There was no time to properly bait a lioness, so giraffe it is!

Graham, did not want me to hunt giraffe on the weekend, as he was short of staff. This was on a Saturday afternoon, so I had a day and a half to familiarize myself with giraffe anatomy. They have a strange anatomy that goes beyond their elongated neck, so I would visualize shot placement on every giraffe we saw. The vitals are far forward and a frontal shot is somewhat protected by their massive leg bones. A broadside shot would be the only option. I would be shooting Dalton’s Ruger model 77 in 338 Win mag., loaded with the excellent Barnes 225 grain TSX bullets. Perhaps a bit underpowered for an animal the size of giraffe? I have a lot of confidence in Barnes bullets, having taken many moose and elk with them. However, I have always found moose to be relatively easy to knock over. Giraffe have a reputation as a very tough animal. Naturally, I didn’t want to make a mess of it.

We spent the weekend hunting Klipspringer (unsuccessfully) and Dalton had decided that he wanted a zebra rug. It was Sunday afternoon when we spied a small herd of Zebra.

Dalton; “They want to cross the trail. Let’s sneak back there. The stallion is the lead animal”

How he was able to determine this on one glance was, and still is, a mystery to me. He had them figured out though. It transpired exactly as he anticipated and I was able to make a good shot on the stallion. Dalton got his rug.

Monday morning rolled around and we could now start our giraffe quest. Ideally, we wanted to locate a bull that was mature but not a old “stink” bull as the meat is inedible. Lady luck was again on our side. It was around 11 in the morning when we spotted a small herd with one that was obviously much larger. We attempted a stalk only to have the herd gallop off in that graceful yet awkward looking manner unique to giraffe. Not deterred, Andrew advised us to keep going. Yep. You guessed it we were busted a second time as well. Third time is a charm though and we were able to approach to within 100 meters using the cover of some thick ground shrubs.

Dalton wanted to ensure the bull was broadside and clear of the others before I could shoot. We were definitely on the same page in this but I found he gets somewhat excited as well.

The conversation went like this…..

Me on the sticks and ready.

Dalton whispering; “ Don’t shoot…don’t shot….don’t shoot….don’t shoot….don’t fricken shoot…

(Louder whisper) OK! SHOOT!, SHOOT!

BOOM!

I send a questioning stare to Dalton. He is all smiles and assures me it was a good shot. The bull only went 60 meters. I am greatly relieved.

What do you do when you have a 4000-pound animal on the ground? The correct answer is “nothing”. Dalton got on the radio to the main camp to notify the recovery team. Coincidently, three game scouts were in the area and heard my shot. They show up to investigate. A short nap and soon the recovery team has arrived. The number of helpers has risen to 16 men!

The foreman; (who’s name escapes me) greets me and shakes my hand “Maita Bassa!

And then in English “Thank You for the gift of giraffe meat.”

I felt like the circle of life had been completed. If we can preserve these wild places and give value to the wildlife. Then local people will want save these areas as well. Giraffe will continue to flourish. Win – win.

5xozq3t.jpg

Here is the team. Andrew was so impressed with the 338 that he wanted it in the picture.

Ca1dAEY.jpg

I personally believe it is important to give thanks for the animals life. Especially an iconic animal like the giraffe.

kNJ7bZI.jpg

The recovery team.

Hv4RbMJ.jpg

EIVZFGD.jpg

One giraffe will feed a lot of people!
Great stories and great writing. My thanks to you and your brother for sharing!

Doug

Thanks for sharing nice old dugga boy.

Great hunt! Thanks for bringing us along!

Great stories and great writing. My thanks to you and your brother for sharing!

Doug
Thanks Doug! I think my brother has outshot me in the writing department. (He often outshoots me when hunting as well. LOL)
There was a Canadian author who famously said, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".
We tried to be factual AND entertaining. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Thanks for sharing nice old dugga boy.
Thanks Frederik, I think I am spoiled to have such an animal as my first buffalo. I don't think I really appreciated how old he was until, Graham, the camp manager, commented that he was one of the oldest buffalo taken in the past few seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross