Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ABO, SCI, SABA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
I have just returned form a short 5 day hunt with Juan Pace of Shangwari Safaris out of his South African camp and consession known as Leopards Lair just outside of Alldays. This is an incredible piece of mopani bushveldt of more than 8600 Acres set very close to the mighty Limpopo river which forms the border between South Africa and Botswana. I was primarily after Kudu and Waterbuck which is a tall order when considering the hunt would take place in the still incredibly hot month of February with the bush very, very thick and I would be hunting exclusively on foot by means of fair chase and walk and stalk.

Although I saw a great host of animals from Eland, Kudu, Waterbuck, Impala, Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog, Bushbuck, Hippo as well as some unnervingly fresh Leopards tracks within the boot tracks of both Juan and I, I was unfortunately not able to connect with a trophy bull. Juan Pace however went out of his way and above and beyond what can ever be expected from a Proffesional Hunter to help me in trying to get a shot at my animals. But as mentioned the bush was so incredibly thick that one would have had a very hard time connecting with an animal even if you used a rifle. The area has recieved about 20% more rainfall this year and this is very apparent when one sets foot in the field. We even had two days of rain when I was there which made stalking a real pleasure but as far as the heat and humidity it was fierce.

As far as the camp in which we stayed and the curtuos staff I cannot say enough good things, the whole camp works like a well oiled machine and one often has to take a step back and remind yourself that you are in the very heart of the bushveld, not some holiday resort. I have already booked my return visit for April when I hope the weather would be more moderate and the bush more open so that I can close those precious few yards nessicary to ensure a perfect bow shot. I must also mention that the area has some great numbers of immense trophy Waterbuck, which judging by the brief glimpses we saw during the trip and the video material Juan showed me would easily surpass the magical 30" mark, one very wide horned bull possibly going 34".

Below are a few photos of the area and the fantastic hunting camp.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 212
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 188
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 185

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross