ZIMBABWE: Black Death In The Omay

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Oh shit!….he’s looking right at us! Do you see him??? Chap, my PH, remarked, as our game scout pointed out a black shadow in the thick thorn bushes. A quick glance through my scope, which had now been zoomed up to 4X, revealed the sight that I had been awaiting for several days. A big, old, hard bossed cape buffalo was indeed staring us down from 40 yards away, through the seemingly impenetrable thick vegetation. What had at first appeared as merely a dark shadow, now materialized into a black tank of a beast. Only his head was clearly visible. His body appeared only as a black mass. No way I’m getting a bullet through that! But let’s back up a bit….

In the Zambezi Valley, Cape Buffalo often come in the form of tracks in the dirt. Tracks, upon tracks, upon tracks. Followed for miles, upon miles, upon miles. Up steep hills, and through ripping and tearing thorn bushes. Sometimes so thick that you wonder how you could ever manage to squeeze a bullet through, much less, a 6 foot tall, 200lb man. One often wonders if there is actually a buffalo at the end of the tracks, that at times, seemingly lead to nowhere.

Our hunt in the Omay began on August 20, 2022. This is a hunting concession that is bordered by Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe. The Zambezi River runs through Lake Kariba and is surrounded by mountainous terrain and brush choked valleys. It is home to many Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Lions and a menagerie of other game. Paradise for a dangerous game hunter.

The days leading up to our above stare down were filled with long rides in the Toyota, looking for fresh tracks crossing the miles of roads that stretch over the huge concession. Often, we found tracks. Some fresh, some old. But at some point, a long tracking job awaited us daily. With our trackers, Sadza and Japhet leading the way, and our game scout “Abraham Lincoln” bringing up the rear, with his sightless CZ 223, the hunt was on!

Days and days filled with intense tracking were at times interrupted by the crashing of hooves through the thorn bushes, but as of the evening of day five, we had only heard, not seen buffalo. While others in our group had connected with several buffalo, luck, so far, had not been on our side. The wind, at times, seemed to be against every effort that we had made. The old Dugga Boys that we were tracking, after all, didn’t get old by being dumb. And they used the wind to their advantage every single time that they suspected our pursuit. But then came the morning of day six.

After an unsuccessful search for fresh spoor, we decided to go back to the truck for a change in scenery. Days before, we had bumped some bulls in another area and decided to make a move in that direction. That is when our luck finally changed for the better. As we walked along the path back to the truck, we heard the unmistakable sound of crashing brush and hooves only a short distance away. Buffalo!!! Now the hunt was truly on!

After we gathered the trackers and game scout, we hit the trail. We suspected it to be a very long trail. For buffalo, once spooked, often run for miles before stopping. But at times, luck smiles on us all. Today was one of those days. Our luck came in the form of a skinny young game scout, who we jokingly referred to as Abraham Lincoln. (He told us his name was Lincoln at the beginning of the safari, but when we asked if he knew who Abraham Lincoln was, he simply said, yes, the man on the money!) But back to the story.

Once we took up the spoor, we began the usual slow tracking through the dry dirt and tall grass. We were making our way down a small trail when Lincoln motioned for Chap to take a look in the brush off to our side. Almost aggravated, Chap turned around and glassed in that direction. But to Chap’s surprise, Lincoln was on to something!

Oh shit!….he’s looking right at us! Do you see him??? A quick glance through my scope, which had now been zoomed up to 4X, revealed the sight that I had been awaiting for several days. A big, old, hard bossed cape buffalo was indeed staring us down from 40 yards away, through the seemingly impenetrable thick vegetation. What had at first appeared as merely a dark shadow, now materialized into a black tank of a beast. Only his head was clearly visible. His body appeared only as a black mass. No way I’m getting a bullet through that! I searched for an opening to slide a bullet through into his chest, but none could be found. Then I remembered how decisive the brain shot had been on my elephant just a few days before, and a split second decision was made. As the 300 gr Barnes TSX crashed through his brain, his huge body crashed to the ground. My buffalo hunt was over.

20220825_091427.jpg

20220825_092140.jpg

Damn if that ain’t a sweet bull! Took my first buffalo in the Omay. Hard hunting. Congratulations!

Excellent writing Toby! Congratulations on a fine buffalo!

Great writeup, great old bull. Well done. I miss the Omay.

old bull for sure! Great hunt

Fantastic old bull!!

Chap is a brilliant PH and a great laugh to have in camp, looks like he lived up to his reputation as always.

Congratulations again!!

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great job brother, wonderful bull

Congratulations @TOBY458. I suppose the R8 has found a permanent home in the vault now that it's accounted for such a magnificent Buff. Nice shooting.

Great bull. Congrats

Wow! What a nice old bull. Congrats! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois