Zimbabwe Archery Lion and Hippo?

My wife and myself operate a “by the book” safari company. Comments have been made that outfitters operate in a less than legal or ethical manner. I cannot speak for other companies nor should I.

I will say this “We will complain if a hippo is taken illegally”. Why, because we do care.

My wife and myself operate a “by the book” safari company. Comments have been made that outfitters operate in a less than legal or ethical manner. I cannot speak for other companies nor should I.

I will say this “We will complain if a hippo is taken illegally”. Why, because we do care.
Thus the question- is it legal in Zimbabwe to hunt Hippo with archery ?

Or in other words can I book an Archery Hippo hunt with Tokoloshe Safaris in Zim?

(On a side note the OPs to be unnamed potential outfitter has said “we can work it out” does not answer the question)

To answer your question.

First I would would call National parks and find out if “at this time are you approving Archery Hippo Hunts for the specified hunt area” I would ask if the hunt will require “a special permit”. If I received a positive response I would then contact Binga council to confirm that they will condone a archery hippo hunt. If I received a positive response. I would then notify the client that the hunt would be authorized based on receipt of deposit we would apply for the previously mentioned permits. We normally receive our permits within 48 hours. The TR2 is then stamped by Binga council. Final step is to have permit stamped by NP at Main camp. Contrary to statements previously made we do not oil the wheels along the way.
Since you do not have intensions of booking a hunt at this time I am not going to pursue a answer.
Next week I will be seeing ZNP and will try to get a answer to this question and again I will not be oiling the wheels

I decided to make a call to a friend of mine in ZNP. I asked if it was legal to take hippo with the proper archery equipment. His answer was “yes it is legal and will take 24 hours to obtain the permit”.

I decided to make a call to a friend of mine in ZNP. I asked if it was legal to take hippo with the proper archery equipment. His answer was “yes it is legal and will take 24 hours to obtain the permit”.
Thank you for the kind reply

Next week I will be seeing ZNP and will try to get a answer to this question and again I will not be oiling the wheels

I really do not understand why people, especially those that have not hunted Africa much, think just about every outfitter is corrupt. Yes, the governments are for the most part are but there are severe consequences to breaking the rules.

There is a huge difference between minor infractions that can be interpreted either way vs flagrant illegal acts.

None of the outfitters I have used in Zimbabwe would knowingly break the rules. Forget morality, the consequences are too great. All it would take is the Parks Ranger accompanying the hunt having a bad day or gossiping to get in huge trouble.

Hi Tanks,
I sincerely would like to thank you for your post. Spot on.

Cheers, Lon

I've been digging for months and not a single person or outfitter has shown me any official documents stating bow hunting any animal is illegal.

I cant even get a straight
answer on what animals require a special bow permit.
I did get an official letter but it was 5 years ago and I cannot find it or even a photo or copy of it. I kept pushing for a permit for elephant with a bow and was told no and when I kept pushing, they finally sent me the letter that also stated I could not use a bow on hippo, rhino and buffalo as well as not use one on elephant.

5 years ago, no one lives there any more. You do not apply or push for your TR2 or Special permit , only a licensed outfitter, with the name of the PH can apply for the permit.

I posted a phone number of the “man” who does the permits. I do not know what more that you want?

Thank you Lon. I did contact Alfred and he told me no permit for elephant. I just mentioned that five years ago I had an official letter from Zim Parks (I think it was them) denying my permit as somebody above said he never saw anything official.

If you could ever get a bow permit for elephant, let me know. In the mean time, I will look towards Mozambique for my next dangerous game bow hunt and see if I can take my elephant there and whatever else I can get while on that hunt.

I think archery hunting in Zimbabwe is a tricky issue especially because there's no currents laws on the books making it illegal to hunt the mentioned animals. The park department gets around that issue by simply not issuing any permits for the animals the deem necessary. Hence making it illegal to take them with a bow.

I do appreciate everyone's comments it's been educational

Toko,

Case in point-I just spoke with Albert at the parks department and he said you can't hunt Hippo with bow. You were told you could this is the problem with Zimbabwe alot of different answers but no written laws. I do hope your right Toko and I really appreciate the help.

I really do not understand why people, especially those that have not hunted Africa much, think just about every outfitter is corrupt. Yes, the governments are for the most part are but there are severe consequences to breaking the rules.

There is a huge difference between minor infractions that can be interpreted either way vs flagrant illegal acts.

None of the outfitters I have used in Zimbabwe would knowingly break the rules. Forget morality, the consequences are too great. All it would take is the Parks Ranger accompanying the hunt having a bad day or gossiping to get in huge trouble.
This does not explain the situation at all.

I have lived in various countries, hunted in many, speak various languages and know a culture for what it’s worth. I have not been to Zim yet.

We have a reputable PH Tokolshe saying he was informed that yes HE can get an archery permit for Hippo.

Yet we have two reports on this thread from common Hunters, that the same person told Them No, they do not issue archery permits for hippo?

How is this not ripe for corruption?

A single government official has the discretion to arbitrarily grant archery permits or deny them at his will? While the Law says it is legal to bowhunt all animals?

it appears some outfitters are not sure if they can get these archery permits or not, so will say yes to the clients, though nothing is guaranteed till it’s approved…

(on a side I understand NON-bow hunters don’t really understand archery only hunters, and having guided or tried it once does not a bow hunter make)

I also asked if their was any reason or law against taking an Hippo or elephant with a bow. His answer was I'm not sure. Lol Apparently they don't even know their own laws.

I will only comment on Zimbabwe. As a PH and safari operator we know the law as it was WRITTEN when in doubt we consult ZNP. Once we have a qualified answer the prospective hunter is notified. If we have received a positive reply from ZNP and have received a deposit (in the USA) we immediately generate a TR2 which will then be taken to council for approval signature. Upon receiving the signed TR2 if needed a special permit is applied for IF approved we then take both documents to ZNP at ZNP at Main camp for the final stamp & receipt for $5.00. By this time we have two days of work plus 500 klms of driving on terrible pot holed roads dodging donkeys and goats. Until we have completed those steps the visiting hunter does not have a legal hunt.
If for some reason the hunt is not approved which has never happened. Funds are immediately refunded.
One thng you may want to remember. After the “Cecil” fiasco safari companies, PHs and ZNP employees are all being very careful, as they should be.
I do not know how to reply to those people that think this is all about corruption, bribes and turn your head wink, winks.

Tomorrow we go to main camp to have two seperate TR2s stamped. One for a hippo, croc hunt. The other for a zim kids birthday present (a Impala hunt) that we are charging $50.00 for).

I'm sure there's alot that goes on behind the scenes. I still frustrates me that anti-hunters can pull so much weight in the hunting industry. It appears that's the new future. Sad

I will only comment on Zimbabwe. As a PH and safari operator we know the law as it was WRITTEN when in doubt we consult ZNP. Once we have a qualified answer the prospective hunter is notified. If we have received a positive reply from ZNP and have received a deposit (in the USA) we immediately generate a TR2 which will then be taken to council for approval signature. Upon receiving the signed TR2 if needed a special permit is applied for IF approved we then take both documents to ZNP at ZNP at Main camp for the final stamp & receipt for $5.00. By this time we have two days of work plus 500 klms of driving on terrible pot holed roads dodging donkeys and goats. Until we have completed those steps the visiting hunter does not have a legal hunt.
If for some reason the hunt is not approved which has never happened. Funds are immediately refunded.
One thng you may want to remember. After the “Cecil” fiasco safari companies, PHs and ZNP employees are all being very careful, as they should be.
I do not know how to reply to those people that think this is all about corruption, bribes and turn your head wink, winks.

Tomorrow we go to main camp to have two seperate TR2s stamped. One for a hippo, croc hunt. The other for a zim kids birthday present (a Impala hunt) that we are charging $50.00 for).
How many different stamps does the TR2 require?

ZIM Parks and who else ? MAIN CAMP??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg