Zimbabwe A World Of Wonders

Looks like a beautiful country!

@shotgungibbs : and not only that- it is a true hunter's paradise. Excellent ph's , free roaming
Big and Plains game, in the Zambesi Valley and at the shores of lake Kariba as well as in the south-east rugged wilderness without any fences. I have been there about 15 times and I'll never forget these hunts. Of course it's hunting- not armed shopping like in some other locations. So there is no guarantee that you get "enough bang for your buck"; but that demand comes from another kind of clientele anyway.....

Zim is an amazing country. As a retired Ag Exec, it is always bittersweet to see the devastation of what was once one of the most fertile countries in the world. The corrupt Zim leadership has a lot to answer for.

You are right, unfortunately! My first visit was 1988 and since then I saw the country tumbling down under Mugabe. I was even told I could hunt there for free for my whole life If I could manage to
"eliminate" him. Unfortunately you could not come close to this lowly creature...
I am sure would Ian Smith still live and rule the Zimbabewan people and their country as a whole would still thrive.

It is always so disheartening to witness failures brought on by greed & personal gain. The poor people under it all suffer so much, as well as the suffering of the game animals and their declining numbers.

I absolutely fell in love with Zim last year. My trip to the Dande area was a real bucket list event. My buddy Jeff505 spent a day and night in Harare. One of the wonderful staff at Charlton McCallum gave us a tour. I couldn‘t shake the thought that if they hadn’t destroyed their country with a toxic blend of nepotism, corruption and tribalism Zimbabwe would be a dream retirement destination for US and Europeans.

Marketing the country as "A dream retirement destination" could solve an awful lot of their economic issues. Imagine how much hard currency and employment such a move would make especially if they threw in a form of citizenship/permanent residency/lifetime visa, right to firearm ownership and security of property investment.

Of course it'll never happen.

Marketing the country as "A dream retirement destination" could solve an awful lot of their economic issues. Imagine how much hard currency and employment such a move would make especially if they threw in a form of citizenship/permanent residency/lifetime visa, right to firearm ownership and security of property investment.

They probably offer that right now. Doesn't mean you'll get any of it.

I grew up in Bulawayo, have seen the world but would still say it's the best place on the planet. If I could give my boys anything I'd give them my childhood there.

"A dream retirement destination"

I also loved Zim during my short visit. The people are so friendly, the countryside is beautiful, and there is plenty of game...

Unfortunately, it is NOT a place many westerners would want to live. Until they reestablish the rule of law, respect for civil rights, property rights, a free market economy, a free press, they will continue to be an unattractive place for people to move to.

Zim is an amazing country. As a retired Ag Exec, it is always bittersweet to see the devastation of what was once one of the most fertile countries in the world. The corrupt Zim leadership has a lot to answer for.
fact, like stealing peoples farms at gunpoint

You are right, unfortunately! My first visit was 1988 and since then I saw the country tumbling down under Mugabe. I was even told I could hunt there for free for my whole life If I could manage to
"eliminate" him. Unfortunately you could not come close to this lowly creature...
I am sure would Ian Smith still live and rule the Zimbabewan people and their country as a whole would still thrive.

A close friend lived in Bulawayo mid-90s to the mid-2000s. At one point, he and his family took a rare holiday and were staying at the Vic Falls Hotel. A day or so in to their vacation, staff informed them they had to vacate their rooms as they were needed for Mugabe and his entourage. As a "consolation", they were given an introduction to Mugabe. Oddly, his security detail did not search them. More than once, he and I have discussed what Zim might look like today had he used the Spyderco in his pocket...

What good would such promises do? If they could appropriate farms, why wouldn't they take your "retirement" developments away from you, without compensation, as they did to the former white farmers? I seriously don't know how any thinking person can consider making anything like permanent investments in an African context, given their racist, so called anti-colonial actions of the past. Not sure how they will attract investment, either, but they brought it on themselves!
On another note, I enjoyed hunting the Zambezi valley immensely.

I remember reading an article written by a British bank official. He said the greatest obstacle to investment in Zimbabwe is the investor’s fear of having their investment taken from them. In his words, “no one lends money to a thief.”

@Doug3006 - the banker was right, of course. You must not be afraid, you can rest assured
that these corrupt tribal chiefs will steal everything they can. The whole country is filled with,
as I use to say, "as ifs". Officials that dress in black suits like their colonial, mostly not or just modestly corrupt predecessors, to look similar- but that is just a disguise. They cannot act logically, they will always work for their tribal superiors, you cannot trust them in nothing-apart from just the fact that they can never be trusted. Contrast that to the friendly citizens in Zim and you know how they suffer.

Unfortunately it's not just Zimbabwe--show me an African run country that is not corrupt from top to bottom! Then there lis the additional threat of Muslim incursion, but that is another story.

Unfortunately it's not just Zimbabwe--show me an African run country that is not corrupt from top to bottom! Then there lis the additional threat of Muslim incursion, but that is another story.
You don't have to look any farther than your front door to see all of the above!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois