ZIMBABWE: 12 Days In Zimbabwe With Shangani Safaris

I was to polite on wanting to go after the buff.
His comment was we are only pushing them closer to the park and he and two of the trackers would wait for the buff to show up sick at a water hole and finish him off. And email me and James Williamson that he (Lloyd) had finished off the buff or it may go over to the park and die.
( This is where things are and have been a bit blurred, maybe some of the more experienced Zim hunters can chime in.

1. There is an electrified high fence around the property. Thus how are buff or for that matter any other animal crossing back and forth onto this property(?).

2. Thus my comment as to PH seeing dollars signs vs a client:

a. PH Not Identifying the buff we shot as being the same buff I previously wounded.
(Thereby client pays for a second buff.)
b. PH Not wanting to follow up on the wounded buff with 3 guns.
(Does anybody really believe the PH is going to spend any time sitting at waterhole(s) or pay his trackers to sit at various waterholes looking for a clients animal DG or PG?)
c. Remember, there is another wounded buff from an earlier client; or maybe injured while fighting with another buff, possibly still wondering around, if it hasn't already succumbed to it's wound(s). (IMO there was enough blood leaking out from this buff that a good blood trail, had we properly looked could have been found and followed.)

As this being my first time to Zim, I would like to ask other Zim PH's to chime in here as to; Is this the normal procedure and ethics of a PH when a client comes to hunt DG in Zim?)
@Ridge Runner
I personally would have been saying to the so called PH, fuck you Charlie Brown we are going to finish the job and after that we are finished. I can assure you people like that get a smack in the mouth from me.
I appreciate you wanted to follow up but that other dickhead should have his PH licence revoked.
Bob

Red Leg, I have hopes of returning to hunt Africa in 2-3 years (maybe sooner if things work out right), and back to Zimbabwe for an L. eland and a croc, but with a better outfitter and a better PH.
There are a lot of great PH's and wonderful areas in Zim. Many on this forum would be glad to assist in making sure your next hunt is memorable for different reasons.

@C.W.Richter
Even tho I only hunted Namibia those bushman trackers have eyes that are both binoculars and microscopes. The things they see at long range are unreal and when tracking even at a fast pace they see things that I never would and I track pretty well.
What I found interesting was the communication between the 2 trackers. Along we ith the occasional words there was a lot of tongue clicking to go with it. My PH told me that the bushmen communicate using these clicks.
I was totally fascinated and amazed at there abilities.
Bib
Yes, the ! in !Kung is a click! If you haven't, watch the movie The Gods Must be Crazy. lol

@Ridge Runner
I personally would have been saying to the so called PH, fuck you Charlie Brown we are going to finish the job and after that we are finished. I can assure you people like that get a smack in the mouth from me.
I appreciate you wanted to follow up but that other dickhead should have his PH licence revoked.
Bob
In this case, Charlie Brown is about 6'5" so you had better be prepared for the fallout after that attempt, on this tough-as-nails Scottish colonial, in his country! :p

In this case, Charlie Brown is about 6'5" so you had better be prepared for the fallout after that attempt, on this tough-as-nails Scottish colonial, in his country! :p
@C.W. Richter
Mate size doesn't overly worry me at over 6 foot 6 and close to 300 pounds and a mean SOB to go with it I think he would be biting off more than he could chew. I don't play nicely with people like that and I don't play by any rules either.
It ain't the size of the dog in the fight it's the s size of the fight in the dog.
Bob

product_7150.png

@Ridge Runner Thanks for sharing your report.
Remaining focused on the task is much appreciated.
Tough learning experience.
I sincerely hope the next adventure is in line with your expectations.

Well, that went from bad to WTF in less than a few seconds.

I do not know the OP or PH and therefore have no dog in this fight. But the PH’s handling of the hunt and his dick size have been questioned without benefit of hearing a single word from him.

As one who has hunted Africa 15X times, with many in Zim, I have encountered a variety of hunt experiences and outcomes. Without question some of my hunts have been met with greater overall enjoyment and success than others. But in retrospect I have enjoyed them all without regret. Perhaps I have just been lucky.

I find that it is easy to comment negatively and cast stones when only one side of a situation has been expressed. But with no doubt or disparagement meant toward the OP I believe there are two sides to every coin. So, for me I’d rather wait to hear from the PH before casting stones and/or commenting on his dick size.

In the meantime, good hunting to you all.

Last edited:
@Ridge Runner
I hope that next leg of your African safari, in South Africa with Kubusi safari has turned up better, and at least partially saved the entire trip.
Looking fwd to hear this report, too.

Wow! A good report. There is much to be gleaned from it. There is a lot to be learned from both sides and the additional insight provided by those who have been there, done that, I find invaluable. Perspective is a strange thing. None of us look at a situation the same way. We have all experienced it in all walks of life. I feel bad for Ridge Runner. When a hunt starts to unravel its difficult to get it back on track. But in the end we have to realize it’s all part of the hunting experience; the good and the bad. It all makes up life’s adventures…

If there is a next time go to the Bubiana. You will see tons of Buff and Eland as well as other plains game. Probably will see Elephant,Lion and Rhino. Hunting outside can be hard but also the most rewarding. Keep going but do your own homework!!!

Bushmen get the job done!

10626134_10152584044280208_357135428948413957_o.jpg
Hartebeest Namib w Michael San.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My feeling is that your outfitter is to blame.

It seems you were promised a racehorse and found out it was a donkey. The donkey trundled along trying to impress but fooling no one.

I think if you knew you had booked a donkey and paid for a donkey, all would be right with the world. Zimbabwe is more Ruark and Capstick hunting. Real wilderness and the adventure being part of the hunt. But if you always wanted a racehorse then you will be disappointed.

My feeling is that your outfitter is to blame.

It seems you were promised a racehorse and found out it was a donkey. The donkey trundled along trying to impress but fooling no one.

I think if you knew you had booked a donkey and paid for a donkey, all would be right with the world. Zimbabwe is more Ruark and Capstick hunting. Real wilderness and the adventure being part of the hunt. But if you always wanted a racehorse then you will be disappointed.

Nhoro, you pretty much summed it up. I was expecting a rough camp: promised is probably not the best word, but yeah, sold on racehorse hunt expectations, and ended up with a donkey.

The whole point of my reasoning to hunt Zimbabwe is for the "wilderness", "free ranging", experience vs large concession hunts in RSA. What I got was a piss poor excuse of an attempt of an RSA hunt in Zimbabwe with a PH who lacks the ethics to follow up on wounded game.

I'll just add this to what I have implied though out my report: IMO, any PH who is in the business of hunting Dangerous Game and is afraid to ethically follow up on any wounded Dangerous Game animal, uhmm, probably shouldn't be in the business of hunting Dangerous Game!

@Ridge Runner
It is so bad/sad the hand you got dealt. It is not petty cash the overseas hunters pay here in Africa for a good hunt. I know this Covid crap has a lot of companies against the wall and looking for quick money too survive , but the way your hunt went off is borderline criminal in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!