Zimbabwe – Elephants trample to death two farmers

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://africasustainableconservati...babwe-elephants-trample-to-death-two-farmers/

Farmer trampled to death by an elephant

A 50-YEAR-OLD Mbire farmer was trampled by an elephant and died on the spot while guarding his sorghum from wild animals last week.

Barnabas Mwinga of Mufanechiya village ,Chief Matsiwo in Mbire died after an elephant charged at him when he tried to scare a heard of elephants away.

Mashonaland Central deputy police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Fedelis Dhewu confirmed the case.

“I can confirm a case of sudden death in Mbire where a villager was trampled by an elephant,” Dhewu said.

Police have warned people not to attempt to drive away dangerous animals but instead inform Zimparks or report the cases to any nearest police station.

Newsdze Zimbabwe
March 29, 2020

See link for photo.

A woman (58) from Lukange community in Beitbridge East was trampled to death by an elephant while two other villagers watched helplessly on Saturday morning.

Elisa Chivalaula died while harvesting mopani worms (mashonzha/amacimbi) in a bushy area near Dite. She was in the company of Ouma Moyo (36) and Selina Ndou (70). It is reported that the women got into trouble after running into a herd of elephants.

The police officer commanding Beitbridge District Chief Superintendent Tichaona Nyongo said the matter was being treated as sudden death.

“Indications are that on Saturday, 28 March, she left her homestead intending to go and harvest mopane worms in a bush about 7km from her homestead in the company of Ouma Moyo (36) and Selina Ndou (70) both from the same village,” he said. “While harvesting the mopani worms they found themselves in the midst of a herd of elephants and prompting them to run away in different directions.

“Unfortunately, one elephant caught up with the now deceased and trampled her to death in full view of Ndou who was hiding behind the bushes”. The matter was reported at the ZRP Dite Police Base leading to the recovery of the badly injured body. No foul play was suspected and post mortem was waived by a local magistrate.

“As police we urge people to be highly vigilant as they move around in the bushes, especially during the time of harvesting these mopani worms. Precious lives are lost as a result of fatal attacks by wild animals and snakes,” said Chief Supt Nyongo. The incident occured a few months after a six-year-old boy from Chituripasi in Beitbridge East was attacked and killed by an elephant while his sister watched helplessly.

The boy was coming from school in the company of his elder sister and another minor when they came across the jumbo. The elder sister fled to the other side of the road while the now deceased tried to flee to the nearest homestead, resulting in him being fatally attacked.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Sad to hear about the little boy. These villagers won't get any help from the Snowflakes and Huggers. ............FWB

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
This probably happens more frequently than we hear about.

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
This probably happens more frequently than we hear about.

For sure. Such commonplace events do not provide a podium for the "pity the animals" crowd.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
Unfortunate. When you have crops that the Elephants like to eat, I imagine that confrontations with Farmers is a frequent occurrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoreyColso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG