Zg47 bolt discrepancy?

Akmitch

Reaction score
Hello from Alaska,
New member and first post here.
I recently purchased a zg47 rifle from 1956 in 30-06. I knew when purchasing it that it wasn’t totally original (rubber recoil pad and bolt jeweling) I was okay with that as I planned on hunting the rifle anyway. Upon arrival of my new rifle I removed the bolt and noticed something unusual from pictures I have seen. The bolt in this rifle has oval shaped vent holes as opposed to the circular ones I gave seen previously on these rifles. It also has a small pit in the primer area of the bolt face, something common on surplus bolts from my understanding. This has me leading to believe that the bolt for this rifle is either a leftover surplus bolt used at the factory, or a later replacement from a smith.The bolt handle seems correct and If it was welded on they really did a fine job of covering it up. and safety seems correct as well.
24317F05-89E9-44CD-B8AA-AE8286D03E04.jpeg
I have used headspace gauges and it is within tolerance. I just figured I would ask and see if anyone of you gentleman could share some opinions on what might be going on here. Attached are pictures for comparison. thanks so much
Mitch

1805B66D-AA74-4CE1-AABF-E0F481C32B80.jpeg
623941D2-5802-4544-BCE1-CB914DDCC982.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned two ZG-47 rifles, liked them both but both have since been sold. So I can't compare mine with yours, sorry! I wouldn't worry too much about the vent holes. You've checked the rifles headspace, the rest looks OK, What's not to like?

From what i have seen round vent holes are in military bolts, oval holes from commercial sporter bolts your bolt &
handle look good, do not worry about it. I do not think its a welded on handle its a sporter bolt

As you can see, this is the place for the answers.
Welcome to AH!

Can you post a pic of the bolt face pit?

Picture of the bolt face as requested.
thanks for the responses gentlemen

1C5647BA-56C1-48B5-98E7-94F6FCE0D722.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too bad, seen worse. Those result from primer leaks or blow outs. Best way to avoid further damage is use hard primers like CCI.
I had a Mauser face ruined by blowouts from Win primers, some years ago, when they had a bad run. I switched to CCI and no more blowouts.

I only have one military mauser - it has oval holes.
Interestingly, I recently saw a Youtube video (its on the internet and must be true o_O) in which he took the bolt from a ZG47 and put it in a 98 and it functioned. (Of course it would have needed to be checked for headspace and trigger/safety functioning before actual use.) The point being that the Brno model 21 and the ZG47 bolts may have conformed in large part to 98 dimensions. It would be interesting to know if the bolt bodies from 98s and ZG47s were interchangeble and whether the bolt shroud had the same thread etc. If so then its possible that bolt bodies from earlier models may have been utilized in some of the early ZG47s.

Not too bad, seen worse. Those result from primer leaks or blow outs. Best way to avoid further damage is use hard primers like CCI.
I had a Mauser face ruined by blowouts from Win primers, some years ago, when they had a bad run. I switched to CCI and no more blowouts.
Shame about the bolt face, its still usable, you could clean up the bolt face but you would have to set the bbl back to fix head space , and may be adjust the firing pin protrusion, i had a new Mauser 25/06 bolt face damaged on the first shot with faulty Remington ammo in the 1990s, the Australian Distributor for Remington replaced the bolt & ammo. so happy ending in that case:giggle:

I plan to work up some kids for this rifle as soon as it warms up a bit. I appreciate all the info everyone had to offer. Looks like I have found a new favorite forum!

I thought a bit about Hunter4752001's comment about similarity to other Brno models bolts so I looked at my Brno 22F and 21H bolts. They both have the oval vent holes in the bolt body. The rare "round knob" bolt on my 21H is also sometimes described as the ZG-47 style bolt handle. It looks identical to yours. Hope that helps.

From left to right;

Military Mauser - Austrian manufactured Chilean Model 1912 (7x57)
Parker Hale M1200 (Originally 7mm Rem Mag)
Zastava M70 (7x57)
20220119_192628.jpg

Mitch,

Top is a 1959 8x57 ZG47 and the bottom is a Parker Hale Hussar (ZG47 action). Round holes...

PXL_20220120_180700323.MP.jpg

Hello from Alaska,
New member and first post here.
I recently purchased a zg47 rifle from 1956 in 30-06. I knew when purchasing it that it wasn’t totally original (rubber recoil pad and bolt jeweling) I was okay with that as I planned on hunting the rifle anyway. Upon arrival of my new rifle I removed the bolt and noticed something unusual from pictures I have seen. The bolt in this rifle has oval shaped vent holes as opposed to the circular ones I gave seen previously on these rifles. It also has a small pit in the primer area of the bolt face, something common on surplus bolts from my understanding. This has me leading to believe that the bolt for this rifle is either a leftover surplus bolt used at the factory, or a later replacement from a smith.The bolt handle seems correct and If it was welded on they really did a fine job of covering it up. and safety seems correct as well.View attachment 446766 I have used headspace gauges and it is within tolerance. I just figured I would ask and see if anyone of you gentleman could share some opinions on what might be going on here. Attached are pictures for comparison. thanks so much
Mitch

View attachment 446767View attachment 446768
Hi , i just bought a 1956 ZG47 that also has have oval vent holes, does your have the serial number engraved on the bolt handle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!