AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
US(AZ, AK, CT, IA, MT, NC, OH, TX, WY) South Africa
OK. I've been given the approval by the finance department at home to purchase a new scope. I have always been a Leupold man. I'm looking into switching to German glass. I would to not spend a fortune. My price point was something similar to Leupold VX3L line. I have both 30mm and 1 inch rings, both low mount. Do I look into HD glass? Is it worth it? I looked at the Zeiss HD5 3-15x42. Swarovski is out of range, as is Leica and Vortex.

So the question is, do I get the Leupold VX3L 30mm tube 4.5-14x50 or the Zeiss HD5 1" tube 3-15x42?

If I was hunting leopard and expecting low light situations, I'd consider the Leupold. Otherwise, I don't care for the 50mm objective, likely you'll have to go to medium height rings. I have the same Zeiss scope you're looking at, but it's still sitting in the box, hasn't even been mounted yet.

I was up until the last year a big fan of the Zeiss Conquest series, but started having breakdowns with them. When not broken, they're in my mind the best value on the market. The HD5 though has German mfg behind them and I decided to give them another chance.

Another choice would be the Nikon Monarch series, great glass and a very good price. The knock on Nikon would be the shrinking eye relief as you increase the zoom. However the durability of the Nikons is very good from my and others experience.

All 3 of these manufacturers have at one time or another had a scope returned to them from me and all have stood behind their products. Leupold being the fastest to repair/replace, probably due to being an American company.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually the VX3L line has the cut out on the forward objective to allow one to mount it lower. I have a VX3L 4.5-14x56 mounted on my .257 Weatherby with low rings. With the base and ring configuration I can mount a 44mm objective as the absolute largest with out going to a special objective like the VX3L. It is all Talley. Good stuff. I'll take a peek at the Monarch line as well.

Never had a problem with the many Leupold scopes I have.
Have friends who have had trouble with Zeiss.
I do like the Zeiss binos I got before going to Africa.

Forgot about the cut out on the Leupolds. I'd say take a look through all of them at the same place and time, go with the one you like best. Any scope can go down at anytime and as such I will always take a spare with me to Africa.

If you can't expand outside the Leupold price point, stay with Leupold.

Does it have to be a brand new scope ? I have had some excellent older 2nd hand Swaro and Ex-Demo Kahles buys.

I've had nil problems from this guy with multiple scope purchases:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Scopes-Optics-Lasers-/31710/m.html?_ssn=lfcrock&_sop=16

Also look here and at their warranty.
http://www.samplelist.com/

With a bit of looking you can usually find an excellent quality new-old-stock Kahles for Leupold money and once you use one, you won't go back. You need to know your scopes though as what may look like a euro scope can often be a cheaper 'knock up' for the US market. This is where people can get themselves into problems as they don't know their product and buy what they are sold.

Last edited:
I'll repost my to post entitled rifle cost VS scope cost.
We all have opinions so I guess that I'll give mine. Been an avid hunter over 40 yrs. I have used a lot of different scopes. I will agree that the Leopold is a good scope for the money and they have great warranty. I personally lost a shooting opportunity at a bull elk by using one. This is due to the fact that that the eye relief changes with the magnification changes..... So you have to change your cheek weld to see through the scope as you change the magnification. Because where I hunt long shots are not uncommon and my scopes top end on a variable is usually 12-16X I won't use a scope that has that change. For basically the same money I can buy a Zeiss Conquest and have slightly [to my eyes] better optics.
To the original question. I can easily see spending $500-$1500 on a scope. If you can't see him then you can't shoot him. Better coatings on scopes means more $$ as a general rule. Example of the above was when I was hunting essentially between Yellowstone and Teton Nat parks for elk. Packed in 8 miles. I got a 5X6 bull on the first AM. Next AM I went back to ck on the gut pile to see if a black bear might be on it. Got there 15 min late.... Another hunter from camp was already watching the hillside. Had been a griz on the guts. He had also seen a 6 pt bull elk walk across the hillside. I asked why he hadn't shot the bull. He said the glare in his scope was such that he couldn't see him and all he could do was watch him walk away.... I asked him if he still had glare. He checked and still was unable to see clearly. My scope was clear and he was pissed. Thought he had the best optics available at the time. Mine was the Conquest...... Hi was a Monarch. Coatings make a BIG difference early and late. Good scopes can be transferred to a new rifle. Don't be afraid to get a good one to start with. They will give you yrs of service and might be the difference between getting a trophy and not getting a shot.
Best thing you can do is compare side by side in low light and glare inducing situations and see which you like. Good luck. Bruce

I'd go with the Zeiss, just because it would mount low on the gun.

Compare them side by side with your own eyes.
Go to a store with the optics you want to compare.
Go into a back room, closet or any place that does not have the lights on. (Somehow, create a very low light situation.)
Look at the same object repeatedly with the different optics.
Make up your mind with what you actually see.
(If you have a prejudice to brand make sure to have the guy hand them to you without your eyes open and then just test them.)

Good luck.

For low light situation is the best chois Zeiss Victory HT 3- 12x56. I have it on my .270win. Yes it is expensive, but worth every penny.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg