ZEISS HD5 VS Night force SHV?

Thank you for the thread. Currently looking at the SHV.

No worries,
The gunsmith I use is an accomplished long range shooter is using one MOA with IHR reticle. He ranges target and dials elevation. I think he just holds wind mostly for hunting.

No worries,
The gunsmith I use is an accomplished long range shooter is using one MOA with IHR reticle. He ranges target and dials elevation. I think he just holds wind mostly for hunting.

That is exactly how I am planning on setting up my rig. Ballistics will be entered into my Leica Geovids for the rifle, which will give the value needed to be dialed before the shot. Will help a tremendous amount, especially with some of the angles we need to shoot here in the mountains.

For an illuminated reticle without a battery, consider a Trijicon. The 2.5-10 works well for me on hunting rifles.

The only March scopes I have seen are for Benchrest use. They may well have hunting ones. The Benchrest ones have excellent glass, extremely limited field of view and are big.

CHB have you ever read any of Nathan Fosters books on long range hunting? He has a book titled The Practical Guide To Long Range Hunting Rifles. It has a section on Tikka Rifles that may be of interest to you. BTW that book also discusses long range scopes. Here is a link to his web-site https://www.ballisticstudies.com/

March scopes started out as targets scopes. They have started moving in to the field use side. Glass is exceptional but for what you were originally looking at...you will double the price.

Very few scopes are Night Force tough. If you are looking at spending that kind of money look at the ATACR line of Night Force.

Not many scopes will handle this.

I'm sorry no reports yet I'm still waiting on the mount to come in.

@Inline6 The Nightforce is impressive but i dont expect to be too rough. Not intentionally nor in a combat zone. Testing that past 100 would have shown how well it held zero. Just a point of interest. If i went a Nightforce SHV would suffice. If the 4-16x50 was SFP i would look closer. I dont really want a 56mm objective.

@shooter43 i have been on Nathan Foster site, forum s and looked at the books. Still debating purchasing but my needs are simple. He often refers to Sightron

@Rule 303 i found a March 2.5-25 in 42 and 52mm oblectives. Not Cheap but the features and specs of the model. I feel it could be a long range hunting scope if i went that way. For now its practice on targets and hopefully eradicating pests at 500+ targets to learn some skills. All going well i might get 1 nice high end scope some time.

In a complete backflip I found a Sightron S Tac online. Half the price of a Nightforce and may suffice for my needs. I would not get too precious about regular use in the car marking the exterior. The main dislke may be turret height. Lifetime warranty.

The March looks like a compact fuctional package. But 5 times the price on similarly optioned model. All relevent to quality i hope.

Any thoughts on Burris XTR signature Tactical rings? I have them in 25mm. They use 3 screws per side and plastic inserts around the scope to add + or - to elevation within the ring.. under $200 they seem well built and have that feature. Making some brands seem expensive for a fixed solid mount.

I met an agent for Tangent Theta scopes and he gave them a good wrap but im not sure i would utilise it to get true value for the pricetag.

Tangent Theta is some of the best glass money can buy.

Zero Compromise would be ahead of them. Hensoldt, then TT.

YMMV

@Inline6 do you have an update on the Athlon?

I took it to the range. Glass is decent and it tracked true. Turrets are very light to the touch. That is my biggest complaint. I like a more positive feel, that's what I am used to. The 0ne I bought is a 4.5X27 BTR, I got a smoking deal on it so I could not pass it up.

Thanks @Inline6 , I purchased the Sightron STac. Wasn’t what I originally wanted but nearly half the price of the Nightforce. I think the Zeiss I was considering was probably more suited to hunting not regular dialing.

I’ve read reviews on Sightron . Mine is the seems just like what people reviewed. The clicks have some play but are positive and audible each turn.
The glass seems ok. But I will try focus and check parallax when it mounted.

Reviews all said they work and are reliable so for $700 online I thought I can give it a go.

I’m new to dialling elevation etc since mostly shooting is under 200 but I want to make time to practice and improve some.

I have read and heard nothing but good things about Sightron Optics.

Let us know what you think about when you get some time behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross