Zebra rug - getting it done in Africa or at home?

Thanks for all the replies!

I had mine done at Black Bear Taxidermy in Kimberley South Africa. It was done with backing and it looks great. Total cost $350.00. But it was done in 2012. It is 12' long from tip of its nose to tip of its tail. Hope that helps.

Have always got our flat and backskins tanned in Africa - and the capes done over here by our guys.
Way cheaper over there, and everything we have gotten so far looks real good (our taxidermist actually recommended doing this) Just the way it worked out, left a Zebra to get tanned over here (Canada) - can't remember the exact mount, but it was many times what it would have been over there.

The only bad thing - ended up with an impala flat skin that got switched - ours was a nicely coloured old ram with a few scars - the hide we got is very average, both colour, size and condition, even skinned different...

I also went the route of buying a skin already done versus having it done. I got a skin already backed in Joberg for $1,200 and brought it home on the plane with me. At that time the area I was hunting zebra kill fee was $1,100- and I know the wholesale costs of tanning and rugging in the US- basically $400 for the tan and $400 for professional rugging (again those are wholesale costs). Also with no associated shipping costs whatever merger saving that might have meant to the create. Basically saved half by buying the rug already done versus killing one and sending it back to states for the rest.

I have had two Zebra flatskin rugs, one from Namibia ans one from RSA. Paul Reiser did the Hartman from Namibia with felt back and edging, everything is perfect except they did not add the rings that allow you to hang it on the wall. It looks amazing on the wall BTW.
The South African rug is being done at Splitting Image Taxidermy in Port Elizabeth. It will have a bound edging of black leather and a nonskid backing. They have done work for me in the past and I'm looking forward to seeing it this fall.

I had mine done in RSA and am happy with it. The only thing I would have done differently is to have gotten a backing put on it.

I assume you have your taxidermy done in the US.?.? If this is the case keep in mind that having skins tanned over there is going to delay your entire order. My dip and ship items are typically ready in 2 or 3 months. Each time I've added tanning it has taken approximately a year. I added several tanned skins to my order last from last year and it has now been 13 months.

Hope this helps.

BD

OK so maybe I spoke to soon.

Zululand Taxidermy just emailed me to let me know that the tannery did this to two of my hides from last year. They offered to replace them but as far as I'm concerned that kind of defeats the whole purpose for me.
IMG_20170619_134926.jpg

IMG_20170619_144047.jpg

If you want to have a zebra rug from a zebra you shot, get it done in the US. If something goes wrong, you'll have ways to get things done right.

I was a victim of the Africa taxidermist nightmare you read about, and let me tell that it is not fun. They know you are here, and they are there and there is nothing you can do about it. Highveld taxidermist screwed me royally, and the solution I got from the owner, was for me to ship the trophies back (on my dime) so he can fix them, and then ship them back to me (on my dime also). Go figure, pay export & import fees twice.

Here is an example of my what I had to deal with. Look at the bad stitching on my impala, I know it's in the back, but still. All my white tail deer mounts, you can't see the stitching.

impala.jpg

Thank you for all the input guys!

Thanks again guys, looks like I'll go with what the majority of you have done. I'll get it made into a rug over there as well as have the back skins tanned there.

I had mine done in South Africa by Splitting image. The backing job was great but it has about 30 dime sized/shaped spots where hair is missing. Not sure if it was due to the tanning or hair slippage in the skinning / 6 months it took to get from Zim to RSA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross