Zebra Chair Advice

Well. I got my chair back. After asking your opinions and my wife's wishes, I chose the wife.
I hope you guys understand my choosing her over you all. lol.
We had the seat of the chair with zebra hide instead of leather.
I'm uploading some pics. The one of the pic on the back of the chair doesn't do justice.
To me the chair looks awesome from the back, but my pic doesn't look awesome.
Only problems.
1. They decided to put some stick on eyes in the eyeholes. I will remove them and either put nothing or ask my taxidermist to do something about the eyes.
2. The tail hanging down in the front. Wife hates it. I don't care either way. I think I'll tuck it back under the chair and tape it or tack it to the underside instead of just cutting it off.
The pics.
DSC_0020.jpg

ZEBRA%20CHAIR-1_zpsjxljba5e.jpg
ZEBRA%20CHAIR-2_zpsarbiaiqa.jpg
ZEBRA%20CHAIR-3_zpsyexfgmug.jpg
ZEBRA%20CHAIR-4_zps569ljh8f.jpg
ZEBRA%20CHAIR-5_zps75kmv2q9.jpg

final tally for my chair.
Kill the zebra- $1000
Tan the hide- 800
buy chair 100
upholstery 600

TOTAL $2500

Now, I wouldn't pay $2500 for a zebra chair. But I suppose I paid that for this one. LOL. I like it. wife likes it.
I saw that it didn't seem I was ever going to ever display it, so I think all turned out well.
It will go in my office when we build our next home. likely a log cabin.
Or maybe in the living room.
Plan for the chair to actually be looked at more than sat in.

Attachments

• ZEBRA CHAIR-5_zps75kmv2q9.jpg
    ZEBRA CHAIR-5_zps75kmv2q9.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 164
  • ZEBRA CHAIR-4_zps569ljh8f.jpg
    ZEBRA CHAIR-4_zps569ljh8f.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 165
  • ZEBRA CHAIR-3_zpsyexfgmug.jpg
    ZEBRA CHAIR-3_zpsyexfgmug.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 173
  • ZEBRA CHAIR-2_zpsarbiaiqa.jpg
    ZEBRA CHAIR-2_zpsarbiaiqa.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 228
  • ZEBRA CHAIR-1_zpsjxljba5e.jpg
    ZEBRA CHAIR-1_zpsjxljba5e.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't fault you for following the bosses orders.
Everyone's happy and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Yea those eyes are freaky! Could give small children nightmares.... Otherwise you have a unique piece there.. And most important, Happy Wife, Happy Life!

what do you think?
just remove those goofy eyes and do nothing else? (the dark brown leather is behind it.)
or, Let the taxidermist put in some eyes that look real.
I Like just having the black opening. My wife thinks taxidermist eyes.
I really can't see that having eyes makes it better.

Nice chair I like but don't like the back. The eyes should have been done before doing the chair. The eyes will never look correct in any manner with any eye, they should have been sewn shut lid to lid before upholstering the chair with it. Kinda tough now but of you can slightly wet them you could sew them. That is what we do on every zebra rug we do. Your ears could have been done a lot more appealing they are flat and have no ear shape. We remove the inner cartilage and sew them together edge to edge and the shape and position of the ear falls correctly into place. I'll post a pic later on them ears. I do like the chair !!! but I'm on the wife's side just cut off the tail or tack it up underneath.

Yea those eyes are freaky! Could give small children nightmares.... Otherwise you have a unique piece there.. And most important, Happy Wife, Happy Life!
Hahahaha! Yah. Those eyes make the zebra look as if he's in a state of shock. Or....he was just goosed. LOL! Otherwise, I think the chair looks great. Wise man to go along with the wife. ;)

dump them eyes ,rph.....
I like the chair tho ,especially the way your rump goes on the zebras rump ,
leavin g the tail dangling like that will only give the cat some excuse to claw your leg while you've fallen asleep reading , id be tacking out of the firing line.......
its an expensive chair but unique and yourself and mrs rph like it , so good deal

WP2 .... whats goosed ?

Nice chair I like but don't like the back. The eyes should have been done before doing the chair. The eyes will never look correct in any manner with any eye, they should have been sewn shut lid to lid before upholstering the chair with it. Kinda tough now but of you can slightly wet them you could sew them. That is what we do on every zebra rug we do. Your ears could have been done a lot more appealing they are flat and have no ear shape. We remove the inner cartilage and sew them together edge to edge and the shape and position of the ear falls correctly into place. I'll post a pic later on them ears. I do like the chair !!! but I'm on the wife's side just cut off the tail or tack it up underneath.
unfortunately, the zebra hide came with the ears like that. the taxidermist I used in Africa, in a word, sucked.
My intention was that the eyes would be shut, but the upholstery folks were Hispanic and English not a real strong point.
All in all, I felt they did a good job. Except those silly eyes. But that's easy enough to take care of.
the ears were not their fault.

walking prey..... to me those eyes make it look like a cartoon of an animal that just stuck his foot in the fire.

bluey..... "goosed" = "tickled".

I'm glad you got creative. I think you did the best you could. Dennis had some great suggestions if you were starting from scratch. The eye look cartoon like for sure. And I would tape the tail up underneath.

+1 with the eyes and tail. Clients chairs arrived safely,here is a pic or two.Fits nice in her house,but the white won't suite everyone.
FB_IMG_1436779768965.jpg
FB_IMG_1436779762611.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!