Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I have bought a couple of these of late, one an 8x57 and the other more recently in 7x64 Brenneke. Both are looking to be real good shooters. Both were also in need of a little work, which I enjoy doing and at the going rate of around $400 or so bucks, I consider them a good value for a rough and ready rifle.

The 8mm had sheered off the top of the recoil pad shelf and was split in the trigger well area, which is very common on Mausers and an easy fix. The recoil pad area was a bit more work. I at first tried just gluing it back together but that failed on the first shoot. So I went back and drilled a couple of holes right down thru that area and doweled it. I have done this before with other rifles. Trigger well was repaired by drilling it from side to side and gluing a brass rod thru it similar to how Remington used to do, albeit not as pretty! I also chiseled out some wood and glued it up with JB Weld.

The 7x64 had no damage in particular but the wood was very dry, so I just bedded the recoil lug area also with JB Weld, I was out of AcraGlas, but JB works fine. This rifle came with the double set trigger setup, not a fav of mine but it works and I will get used to it. At some point all of the wood in the trigger well had been removed so that creates a weak point. To alleviate this, I drilled it from side to side and then glued a 3/8ths inch dowel thru it to keep this area from opening up.

With these repairs and tinkering both rifles are showing MOA groups even with less than ideal optics in place. I now have a nice Zeiss on the 7x64 and while the 8mm is wearing an old Redfield , I have other plans for it as well.
I think these rifles are a good value if one doesn't mind doing a bit of work on them and can do it yourself and can get past the rough looking stocks and live with a little freckling. I can.
Here is a few pics to show some of the work done. Light colored stock is the 7x64, as is the grey bedding job.
IMG_5408.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5413.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. I pillar bedded my model 70 375 last winter. It was the first one I had ever done. I drilled and installed the pillars first, then bedded the rest of the action. I did it that way to keep my receiver height correct in the stock. On my first attempt at bedding the action I didn’t get enough devcon in the stock so I had to grind it all out and start over. The second attempt was not perfect but acceptable.
Accuracy was improved, and I can remove the stock and and reinstall with no change in zero.
Thanks for sharing.

That is a nice job on the bedding and the dowel. I take it it's not your first time. Nice job!

The black one isn't pretty but its doing the job. The grey one turned out pretty nice. And no, done dozens of these. Thanks!!

Nice sestoppelman. I had an interesting incident using Accraglass about 3 years ago. I had mixed it in preparation of bedding a rifle, when I noticed a vapor coming from the cup. I started to pick it up and it was so hot I couldn't hold it but, I managed to get it outside where it would do no harm. I called the techs who had never herd of anything like it but did send me a new kit.

Its common for epoxies to kick off in the cup especially if its warm out and left too long. With AcraGlas I have not seen that happen, its usually more about waiting for it to start curing. I am becoming a bigger fan of the JB Weld, the gray one in the pix, as well it has steel in it and is less expensive.

I shot the 7x64 again with a top load and it did not disappoint. I had 3 groups of 4 that went half MOA or under. 150 Nosler Bal Tips with R19 powder. I have gotten good groups with this combo in my other 7x64 (CZ Lux 550) which is possibly going to be finding its way into the classifieds as I don't need two and this Zas shoots almost as well.

A correction to the above. It wasn't R19 I was using today but Ramshot HUNTER. Shot really well.

Pretty nice looking rifles for $400.00. If I may ask, where are you finding them?

Gunbroker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,