Zastava M70 in 458 win mag

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so I was hunting around online looking for a rifle in 458 win mag that I could actually afford at the moment and stumbled across the Zastava M70. every thing Ive read so far has said these are somewhat crude but very serviceable firearms. I did a search on this forum but found only a single post involving this specific gun and not a whole lot was said about it.

what can you tell me about the M70 in 458 win mag?

- action quality? (smooth or rough, reliable ejection, reliable feed)
- barrel quality?
- general accuracy?
- trigger quality?

just from my own research I know ill need to add weight to the stock and the gun will probably need a basic trigger job. but aside from that do you think I will have any issues? id hate to buy the gun for $750 but have to spend $400 to get it running smoothly.

your thoughts would be appreciated. (spare me the debate on being cheap though)

thanks
-matt

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Matt,
This is a bigger decision than buying a house. Shoot as many of the big calibers as you can. Surely your local gun shop will let you test a couple of them on the range? I can assure you that your .375 will get the job done next year on your buff.
I fully understand that you are looking for a classic. What about something like a .450NE?
I use a .416Rigby, and am absolutely in love with it. Recoil is less than my .375 and I just get butterflies in my stomach, every time I pick it up. Pity you could not get to shoot mine, before you make your decision.

peras

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA HSC
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
Matt

The PH that hunts with me has a Zastava in .375, nothing wrong with this rifle. For sure you will need to add weight to the .458. Like Marius said try and test a few different rifles before making a decision.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
I would love a 450/400NE, 450NE, 470NE, or even a 500NE but sadly i cant afford a double rifle. unfortunately gun shops here do not allow test firing rifles, not that any of them carry any thing bigger then a 338 win mag any way.

Marius, if we find some time when im over in your neck of the woods I would love to try out some of your rifles. ive got another thread going asking if any local members would let me try there big bore rifles but I get the feeling that not to many members are local to me.

-matt

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Just looked quickly on gunbroker, I don't have any relationship or knowledge of the seller, but found this with a quick glance. You might want to keep an eye on it. A Ruger RS 77 (is that an RSM?) in 458 Win Mag starting at $899 five days left ... If the rifle is in as good shape as the ad specifies it's one hell of a deal if it doesn't go up much.

RUGER 77 RS AFRICAN 458 Win Mag QTR. RIB SIGHT : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Can,t say much about the M70 but Interarms used Zastava actions for their line of Sporters,,also the company has been in business for about a 150 years,,if you search the web you can buy them new or as barreled action,I own and shoot several Zastava made Military rifles and pistols and found them to be rock solid performers

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
That Ruger on GB with the so-called quarter rib isnt what it seems. Its not an RSM either. Its an early M77 with an added on quarter rib sight, not factory! It may be perfectly serviceable but its not original to the gun. Too much money for a cobbled 77. Now the Zastava rifles are a good bargain. My old Whitworth Express .375 is an early version of it. Made in the early 80's and a vet of 3 safaris. Yes the actions can use some smooting up, mine smoothed up nicely just running the bolt back and forth with oil a lot, and of course usage, shooting it. It has always been totally reliable and I trusted my life to it hunting buffalo and lion in Botswana and Tanzania. I still have it.

greyfox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Matt where are you located?

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
That Ruger on GB with the so-called quarter rib isnt what it seems. Its not an RSM either. Its an early M77 with an added on quarter rib sight, not factory! It may be perfectly serviceable but its not original to the gun. Too much money for a cobbled 77. Now the Zastava rifles are a good bargain. My old Whitworth Express .375 is an early version of it. Made in the early 80's and a vet of 3 safaris. Yes the actions can use some smooting up, mine smoothed up nicely just running the bolt back and forth with oil a lot, and of course usage, shooting it. It has always been totally reliable and I trusted my life to it hunting buffalo and lion in Botswana and Tanzania. I still have it.

Thanks for correcting me, seriously, I'm not a Ruger person

Thanks again,

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Good catch on the rifle not being an RSM. I thought the same but not sure enough to post it!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Thanks for correcting me, seriously, I'm not a Ruger person

Thanks again,

I wasnt so much trying to correct you, more to inform you and matt85 in case he was looking at it seriously. I admit to being a bit of a Ruger crank, but I wasnt trying to make anybody look bad. I actually asked the seller about it and he didnt seem to want to admit that the "quarter rib" was not factory, he seemed to think it was. No way.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I looked at the rifle to and thought this doesn't look right, but had no time to research it. So it is an excellent catch if someone wants an original gun.

I think the Zastava is a nice gun for the money, I love their action...feeds every time. The one I shot years ago was very accurate.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
I would love a 450/400NE, 450NE, 470NE, or even a 500NE but sadly i cant afford a double rifle. unfortunately gun shops here do not allow test firing rifles, not that any of them carry any thing bigger then a 338 win mag any way.

Marius, if we find some time when im over in your neck of the woods I would love to try out some of your rifles. ive got another thread going asking if any local members would let me try there big bore rifles but I get the feeling that not to many members are local to me.

-matt

I'm pretty sure that I saw a 450NE in a single shot once.

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
I've got a Ruger #1 that was a 458 WM and rechambered to the 450 NE.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
the Ruger #1 is currently available in 450/400 but i wouldn't want a single shot DG rifle. ive also heard that Ruger #1 rifles are notorious for being uncomfortable to shoot with large bore cartidges. my friend at work has one in 45-70 and he says its outright painful with hot loads. perhaps if you restocked the #1 it wouldn't be bad but that's talking more money then i would want to spend on a single shot gun.

greyfox, i live in Washington state (USA) around 30 minutes north of Seattle.

-matt

greyfox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Beautiful country there, Matt. I am about as far away as I could get without leaving the lower 48. Savannah, GA

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Beautiful country there, Matt. I am about as far away as I could get without leaving the lower 48. Savannah, GA

the Ruger #1 is currently available in 450/400 but i wouldn't want a single shot DG rifle. ive also heard that Ruger #1 rifles are notorious for being uncomfortable to shoot with large bore cartidges. my friend at work has one in 45-70 and he says its outright painful with hot loads. perhaps if you restocked the #1 it wouldn't be bad but that's talking more money then i would want to spend on a single shot gun.

greyfox, i live in Washington state (USA) around 30 minutes north of Seattle.

-matt

Since both you are hunting with me, I think this calls for a roadtrip.....

Norwegianwoods

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
I have shot a few Zastava rifles. But non of them have been big bores.
I think all of them have either been in 6.5x55 and 30-06.
Only "negatives" I can say about them is that they usually need a trigger job and that the action needs some work/polishing.
Very similar to the CZ/BRNO rifles.

Great value for money.

You could also look at second hand big bores of other makes. Usually they are shot very little and can be bought for a very good price.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I have shot a few Zastava rifles. But non of them have been big bores.
I think all of them have either been in 6.5x55 and 30-06.
Only "negatives" I can say about them is that they usually need a trigger job and that the action needs some work/polishing.
Very similar to the CZ/BRNO rifles.

Great value for money.

You could also look at second hand big bores of other makes. Usually they are shot very little and can be bought for a very good price.

That's why I liked the Zastava, reminded me of the CZ :).

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
Have a good look at 2nd hand rifles if they have had little use. eg Whitworth, Ruger, et.al..

Some of the Zastavas that ended up in Australia had off centre scope mount holes (every manufacturer goes through this) and the some magnums had 'humps' on the front receiver ring. Not a problem out to 100 yards but anything longer could produce cant issues with a scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SidneyIva5

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver