ZAMBIA: Takeri Safari May 2017

bulldogmark

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rifle club, BASC
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Mike, Patsy, Christian and Bluey at Takeri Safaris. Although i didn't manage to get a shot in due to thick bush at the end of may and only a short stay at the weekend, I had an amazing time with great people. I hope to come back in Zambian summer time to hunt again. I was made to feel welcome and enjoyed every minute. My hunting experience was treated respectfully and in return with there trust I demonstrated many opportunities that i did not take with animals kept for breeding etc. I was impressed with the lodgings and the food was amazing. I felt like part of the family whilst there and look forward to the evening social as much as the hunt itself. Thanks again everyone and hope to see you all soon in the future once I've saved up some more pennies lol. Kind Regards, Mark.

FB_IMG_1496611961230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm!
You say the social evenings with that lot were as much fun as the hunting ?
Surprise , Surprise .!
:D Beer Bottle::D Beer Bottle::D Cheers::D Cheers::D Drunk::D Drunk:
Sounds like my kind of hunt .
Cheers Dory .
An indepth report on your short stay at the united nations of Zambia would be great .
Cheers Dory .

Takeri is a special place. Too bad you didn't get a shot opportunity. Good to hear you'll return. I went end of Oct and that was pretty good timing for there. After all the rain I'll bet the vegetation was high... Bruce

It is really fantastic that your report is so complimentary of @spike.t and Takeri. From everything I have read on AH I always felt that the place must be top notch. Good luck on your next go around!

Tough conditions, without a doubt. I've seen pictures of the high grass.

hi mark @bulldogmark thanks for the nice write up. it was a pleasure having you and jackie visit, and we were impressed that she went out with you on the walks , as its not great trying to make your way through the grass and bush when its as thick and wet as it was. just a shame it was only a long weekend , but next time hopefully you will be in zambia later in the year , and then even if you only have the same short time you will get something. how did the trip to the luangwa go to take the stuff to the orphanage or school ....cant remember which.....you should do a write up on all the things you tried and did in your time here, as you did your best to immerse yourself ....maybe the sugar cane incident......:E Big Grin:

Ladies & Gentlemen, a short story of my first visit to Africa and Zambia, what i managed to acheive in 6 weeks changed me in many ways.
I went with the Zambian flow and booked accomodation as i went, i did fund raising before i departed because i do alot for charity in the UK but wanted to give back to a country i knew was going to offer me so much. My first week i got my bearings, learnt some Bemba, discovered Nshima and did 3 days working in an Orphanage with children with HIV, donated toys and blankets. This broke my heart but was amazed how happy the children are, all things considered.
Next i travelled 11 hours on bus to Livingstone, Victoria falls blew me away literally. Fully recomended and could'nt wait for the safari to maybe feel a little what it must have been like for David Livingstone.
After 4 days or so there, i wanted to avoid tourist areas and get a grasp of living in Zambia. I headed for a 10 hour trip to Siavonga and 3 of those were in a Hiace with 15 people on an 8 seater and 10 chickens! Once there, i straighted my back out, took pain killers for my slipped disk i suffer with and used that true British grit to carry on. I found myself in a different world. Lake Kariba was awsome up untill the point where i went to dip my toes and go for a swim! There's alot of crocodiles in there, erm... I gave the skinny dip a miss lol. Siavonga was where the locals called me Lord which was funny but also i discovered Sugar Cane lol. Please imagine a muzungu (White Person) walking through a remote market with 2 sugar canes 7ft long he has just purchased. No one told me you have to peel it. It was like chewing on wood!!! The market lady ran over and said "peel like this". So i did and found the amber nectar inside. However, 300 Zabians were staring as me as i ate the cane and swallowed it. I thought this stuff is dry and very hard to eat. The lady ran over and explained you chew then spit out .
Next i headed on a 13 hour bus trip to Ndola and ate grass hopper, catapillar and chakalaka. I visited Jackies grandparents and yet again humbled by what i saw and how hard these people work. I let all the local children buy every sweet untill the kantemba sold out. The smile on there faces was amazing and was told some had never had a sweet.
Then back to Lusaka where i tought at Jackies school for 2 weeks and hired a car to travel, Zambian roads!!! lol. Again, an amazing experience. I visited Takeri Safaris as previously mentioned and had an amazing time. Then came an experience that changed me forever.
I traveled east to Luangua where with Jackie and her btother Chalwe's help we met Mr Justin a social worker there paid only £25 a month. I took 150kg of Millie Meal, 10kg of salt and sugar, 10litres of oil, 200 books, 250 pens, 150 pencils and 400 lollies. Well, it wasnt enough but all i could fit in. I got mobbed when i took a pack of sweets out the car and saw how desperate these people are when i got pinned up against the 4x4 and it nearly tipped. Once the crowd dispursed i sat and watched the dances the abused and vunerable children performed. It saddened me greatly and I saw there plight. But, this i noticed again and again. No matter how poor or how hard life treats these people, they are generally happy. It shows how money really does not bring true happiness when orphans who may only live 13 years can laugh and play, being happy.
I felt a connection with a beutifull place in Luangua and hope maybe one day i could settle there.
I had a goal, a budget and a purpose. Loved every minuite and everyone i met. Thanks again, Marky
20170419_105151.jpg
FB_IMG_1496611961230.jpg
IMG-20170530-WA0014.jpg
20170513_093134.jpg
20170515_074120_005.jpg
20170520_150252.jpg

Well done mate !!
As we say here in NZ ,Your a bloody legend !

What did you get to teach? The chalkboard behind you looks quite interesting. Great report!(y)

What did you get to teach? The chalkboard behind you looks quite interesting. Great report!(y)
Hi bud, on that occasion it was a debate on social media and the dangers to young people. Tought english, geography and topics like deer or wildlife management. Was brilliant. I liked using the blackboard. My artistic side came out lol.
20170509_130655.jpg

very artistic!!!! i knew you had had a great time when you were in zambia from the enthusiastic way you told your stories, and glad that with a :V Poke: you told everyone on here. you really did go for it in a way i doubt very few tourists do here :D Beers:

Well done! What a great experience and thanks for posting.

Great experience thanks for sharing! Working with kids in rural Africa is special, as I have done the same! Hope you get back to Takeri soon and get some critters your after!

What a great story.

Thanks for the reminder about happiness. I totally agree.

Mark, without a doubt, your Zambian hunt provided you with the trophy you were looking for. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats for a great experience, Mark, and thanks for sharing !

now dory you keep threatening but you havent quite got around to it yet.....when you change planes in joburg next time all you have to do is head north not west........;) :D Beers:
I know , I Know , I know !!
It wont happen overnight , but it will happen .
(y)(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois