ZAMBIA: SOUTH AFRICA: My Hunt With Takeri Reserve, Diekie Mueller Safaris & Coenraad Vermaak Safaris

Well we had a great walk. The "Takeri cornflakes" are all over the ground so we walked the road. Followed the river. They have these amazing termute mounds all over the place. Some are 30 ft high and 100 ft around. The bushbuck often bed on top of them. We made a careful 2 mile walk and saw 6 Bushbuck. 2 were males, but young. I saw we, but the tracker Lakson saw that many. I only saw 4.....
Still a great day. We saw Sable, Zebra, Bushbuck, Lechwe and warthogs. Also several flocks of Guinea fowl. Had a beautiful sunset. Got hot. Up to about 90 defrees. Had some humidity and it lightly sprinkled some. Was a good day hunti ng and saw some nice animals. Good time at dinner. Patsy and Bluey act like their already married. Bit of back and forth. Mike was awfully quiet. Not sure if he is feeling 100%.
The really good news for the day is it looks like we got the fire finished with some of the backfires we started. Had been moving right along. On Mon AM it seems like we got it shut down....
So for Mon AM Patsy wants up and in the field at first light. So we left at 5 AM and drove down by the damn and river to take a walk. We were early enough to take 20 min for Bushbuck on the way to look for Sable. In the headlights we saw 4 young Puku males. and went on down to the damn. We walked for 20 min and saw 6 Bushbuck. No rams of any size. Mike and Bluey were in the truck and picked us up. Patsy had seen a couple of single bulls that are apparently kicked out of the breeding herds. Heading that direction I spotted a Bushbuck a little more than 100 yds off the road. One glance and Patsy said thats the one. Mike pulled forward a ways to put a termite mound between him and us. We offloaded and make a quick stalk... On the sticks he was quartering to me some. I shot and hit a bit back. He got into some grass and Patsy said to hit him again so I tried a 2nd. We walked out a bit and he got up to try and run. So put another in him as a finisher.
He is a great Bushbuck. Just shy of 15 inches and 6 1/2 inch bases! Great color and wonderful ridges on the horns. He is exactly what I hoped for. Carries the mass up very well. Several scars on him from fighting. Very happy with this trophy!.. Bluey is calling us for lunch. I'll finish the AM stoy in a bit.... Bruce

Well I see I got the double post... I-net is so slow I don't get the message posted signal. Oh well. Took the Bushbuck back in for caping and then back to look for Sable. Takari is about 8500 acres, which is about 12 sq miles of brush. They have about 120 Sable. Patsy had seen a couple of very good bulls. They tend to be get in a area and protect it from others. So we had an idea of where to look. On the way bushbuck hunting in the AM we had seen first 2 bulls together. One of them is pretty nice. Perhaps 42 or 3 inches. The other smaller. We saw them the first day. Good bulls, but better are around. We then saw a single at the damn. Classic "C" shape and probably 43 or so. Just a touch thin, so maybe not as old as we would like....
So off we go. After 20 min Patsy leans over and tells me this is the area for the 2 bulls. 5 min later we drive up on a great bull. Probably 44-45 inches. He was bedded near the road. Got up and trottedoff. We got off and follow him for 15 min. Couple of glimpses and uup on the sticks once. Then he was gone.... Patsy didn't want to push him. Maybe in the AM....
Down the road and in less than 10 min we find the 2nd big bull. Same song, second verse....... On the sticks once. As I got on him he stepped forward and had a tree covering his vitals. Could of shot the hindquarters....... Then he was gone too.. Maybe tomorrow early.
So as we eat lunch Patsy suggests we look for Puku and Blue Duiker tonight.... Driving back to the lodge , what pops up but a Puku. Not just a Puku, but the best one on the place. I had been warned that they didn't have any monsters. Just a good representative of the species. The price was appropriate, so they were on the menu. We got the ever present termite mound between us and him and made a sneak. He moved off and didn't present a shot so we got back to the road and got closer. I got back on the sticks and tried a walking shot... Yes I know better. Yes I missed. They tell me Bluey missed 2 times. Good old fashioned warning shots..... He doubled back and we quickly repositioned ourselves. Patsy whistled and darned if he did't stop quartering hard away from me. Bad for him. Hit him behind the shoulder and got some lung. He went about 40 yds and went down. 2 animals in 1 morning. True to their word the length is not great, but the mass is very nice. Can barely get 1 finger between the bases. So a pretty decent Puku. So I'm pretty excited. 2 animals down and we know the general area that the sable are using.
Patsy saw a couple of Blue Duikers with the client here last week. We'll see if we have any luck with them. Then off for Sable early tomorrow. Bruce

Glad to hear your having a great hunt. Good luck on that sable.

Can't wait to see pics of the bushbuck and puku! Both of those are on my hit list if I ever make it to Zambia! Congratulations!

Patsy and Bluey fire fighting

P1070195.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
New career fighting fires. hmmm.

Bruce, congrats on that BB and Puku.

So we went out to look for Blue Duiker. Mike has offered a good price for one if we can find one. So off we go. Patsy has glimpsed a pair while another hunter was here last week. We head down to Look at "duiker alley" and see what might happen. As we hit a road intersection by the river we see a Puku. The tracker spots a pair of Blue Duiker so off we go for a looksee. Nothing doing. Shy little critters. The good news is we now have a second pair that we know where to look for over the next couple of days. Later we walk the area where the other pair is to no affect. Saw quite a few Puku as well as a couple of Bushbuck. We are to leave early tomorrow for Sable.
We left at 5AM. Going in to where wanted to hunt we see a couple of Puku and a younger bull Sable. We are driving around the outside of where the 2 bulls were to see if we can catch them heading for water. We spot a herd with a good bull in it out in the mostly open grasslands. They would eventually head back to the trees for shade. The more we look the better this bull looks. His mass is very impressive so we decide to make a stalk and get a better look.
We walked across a burn which was relatively quiet and headed for the "saddle" between 2 termite mounds. Would put us perhaps 100 yds from the herd. The herd also had a Zebra in it. Apparently a young stallion kicked out of the herd and he wanted some company..... Lots of eyes. In the saddle Patsy tells me this might be the bull to take. He has exceptional mass, although not quite as long as one of the 2 bulls from the day before. As I weigh the odds I decide to take him. I stay on my knees and get on the sticks. He was broadside as I go up and he steps behind a tree. Then walks to my right where I can't see him. We move to my left to get him back in sight.
Back on the sticks. He moves behind a tree again (see a pattern here). Then comes out with his head down grazing and exposes his shoulder. My 160 gr Accubond hit his shoulder at about 2900 fps and went through the center of his heart, after breaking his near shoulder. It lodged just under the skin on the far side. He reared up on his hind legs like a stallion and tried to run. He only made it 50 yds or so.
He is absolutely beautiful! 10 inch bases and carries the mass well up. 42 inches long. One very fine sable bull. I am estatic. Every time I look at him I just have to grin. Internet is still very slow. I'll try to post a pic later. Thats the 3 animals that I had in mind when I came here. Due to Mikes generosity I'll look for a blue Duiker for the next couple of days. Been an incredible 2 1/2 days and we still have 2 1/2 to go. We'll soo how our luck runs from here on out.
Went back out to eat b-fast in the bush. Got a Guinea fowl with the shotgun. Maybe the 2nd time I have shot qa double.... Saw a warthog and tried a stalk, but came up empty. Maybe I'll throw a line in the water and try for a Takeri McNabb..... Back out for blue Duiker tonight. Bruce

Congratulations on the sable! Sounds like a good one! Can't wait to see pictures!

So we went out to look for Blue Duiker. Mike has offered a good price for one if we can find one. So off we go. Patsy has glimpsed a pair while another hunter was here last week. We head down to Look at "duiker alley" and see what might happen. As we hit a road intersection by the river we see a Puku. The tracker spots a pair of Blue Duiker so off we go for a looksee. Nothing doing. Shy little critters. The good news is we now have a second pair that we know where to look for over the next couple of days. Later we walk the area where the other pair is to no affect. Saw quite a few Puku as well as a couple of Bushbuck. We are to leave early tomorrow for Sable.
We left at 5AM. Going in to where wanted to hunt we see a couple of Puku and a younger bull Sable. We are driving around the outside of where the 2 bulls were to see if we can catch them heading for water. We spot a herd with a good bull in it out in the mostly open grasslands. They would eventually head back to the trees for shade. The more we look the better this bull looks. His mass is very impressive so we decide to make a stalk and get a better look.
We walked across a burn which was relatively quiet and headed for the "saddle" between 2 termite mounds. Would put us perhaps 100 yds from the herd. The herd also had a Zebra in it. Apparently a young stallion kicked out of the herd and he wanted some company..... Lots of eyes. In the saddle Patsy tells me this might be the bull to take. He has exceptional mass, although not quite as long as one of the 2 bulls from the day before. As I weigh the odds I decide to take him. I stay on my knees and get on the sticks. He was broadside as I go up and he steps behind a tree. Then walks to my right where I can't see him. We move to my left to get him back in sight.
Back on the sticks. He moves behind a tree again (see a pattern here). Then comes out with his head down grazing and exposes his shoulder. My 160 gr Accubond hit his shoulder at about 2900 fps and went through the center of his heart, after breaking his near shoulder. It lodged just under the skin on the far side. He reared up on his hind legs like a stallion and tried to run. He only made it 50 yds or so.
He is absolutely beautiful! 10 inch bases and carries the mass well up. 42 inches long. One very fine sable bull. I am estatic. Every time I look at him I just have to grin. Internet is still very slow. I'll try to post a pic later. Thats the 3 animals that I had in mind when I came here. Due to Mikes generosity I'll look for a blue Duiker for the next couple of days. Been an incredible 2 1/2 days and we still have 2 1/2 to go. We'll soo how our luck runs from here on out.
Went back out to eat b-fast in the bush. Got a Guinea fowl with the shotgun. Maybe the 2nd time I have shot qa double.... Saw a warthog and tried a stalk, but came up empty. Maybe I'll throw a line in the water and try for a Takeri McNabb..... Back out for blue Duiker tonight. Bruce

Good stuff, congrats on the sable, cant wait for pics! Good luck on the duiker!

Congratulations Bruce.

Good luck on the b duiker.

Look forward to the photos.

@gillettehunter ,

Sounds as if you're having a great time! I hope you have better luck on blue duiker than I have had. And better luck than @TMS fishing for that matter

FB_IMG_1467484767650.jpg

I figured Royal might get drawn into this. We had some fun in the aftn. Put a double barrel shotgun in the truck and proceded to hunt a few Guinea fowl. Got Guinea and 1 Francoline. The we went to looking for a Duiker. They can be a bit frustrating..... Driving to where we had seen the 2 from before the tracker saw another from the truck. So we pulled past and bailed off to see what we could find. The tracker later told me that there were 3 of them. I could hear them in the leaves, but never see them..... We spent 1/2 hr hunting around and nada. Drove up the road a ways and then off to skulk along the road in hopes seeing one.
The road where we were at follows the river and the heavy brush around it. As we walked we had a beautiful bushbuck come out. He failed to see us. Nice bushbuck! Probably a little longer than the one I had, but thinner and not as mature. Would of been perfect for archery. Saw him at 30 yds and he crossed the rd at 40. We stalked up to 30 again.....
Patsy offered him to me at $500...... I almost took him. If I shoot another it really needs to be better than what I have and this wasn't the right animal. Just as it was getting dark we saw an animal coming towards the road from our right. The tracker says to me and Patsy, " what is it?". It was a Civet! Came to the road at perhaps 25 yds. Finally saw us as it crssed the road. I asked if it was on quota. Patsy replied that they are protected in Zambia. Beautiful animal and a great sighting. We considered the evening a great success even tho we didn't fore a shot. It was a great day of hunting!
Rained a little overnight. Slightly cooler in the AM. We left to look for Duiker. Only about a block from the lodge the tracker say Duiker!.. We stop and try to find him. we spent 15 min looking to no avail. Patsy went into the bush to try and move them to us. No luck. Again I can hear them, but not see them. Eventually we jump back in the truck and Patsy tells Mike to floor it to get to where we want to hunt. Again the tracker sees Duiker! We bail off and try a stalk. I finally saw it running 75 yds away. No chance for a shot. Never saw it again.... So back in the truck and up the road. We get out and walk quietly up the road on Duiker alley again. We go perhap a mile and the tracker sees one. We put a stalk on and it rubs into the bush. Patsy saws that we may as well follow as we have nothing to loose. So into the Takeri cornflakes we go. Luckily its a old burn and is quieter. We stalk in perhaps 100 yds and up goes the sticks!. My heart rate doublesas I look for where the tracker is pointing. For the life of me I can't see anything!. I look through the scope into the undergrowth under the trees. Nothing. I try asking more exactly where. Back to the scope... Still nothing... The tracker tells me its flicking its tail. Then I see the flash of white tail and I know where to look.
Through the scope the Duiker is clear. I took careful aim and pulled the trigger. At the shot we all strain to hear leaves ruslte to announce the disappearance of our quary. Absolute silence..... $ steps forward and the tracker turns with a hune smile to congradulate me. We have taken a great Duikerstalking in the brush!! It is a older female. The bullet did a fair amount of damage. She may be mounted laying down. Horns are a solid 1 3/8 inches. Somewaht bugger body size shows her to be an older animal. Pics to be posted when the I-net speeds up enough to do so. We also saw a side striped jackal this AM as another animal sighting. Later we see a herd of eland and I'm told they have one very fine bull..... Hmm, I'll need to think about that. Later AM we shot 4 more Guineas. At one point I had 5 straight. Lots of fun at Takeri! .. More later. Bruce
PS Royal. They have LOTS of Blue Duiker here. Come see for yourself.

Congrats!!!! :)

PS Royal. They have LOTS of Blue Duiker here. Come see for yourself

Funny how the two animals at the top of my "list" are blue duiker and elephant. I figure that with solids my .458 Lott will make the perfect rifle for a one gun safari.

Congratulations.
You had me scared. I was starting to think Royal's hunting habits had rubbed off on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois