Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
This report is a little late, but better late than never I guess.

Last year my plan was to hunt buffalo in the Congo rainforest with Cam Grieg, but due to personal issues Cam asked if we could wait a year.

For several years I had an interest in hunting Zambia, but never booked a hunt there. I read one of Fairgame’s threads about a new hunting area in Zambia. When I read the thread I contacted Leon Kachelhoffer about going to Kanzutu. My primary interests were buffalo, roan, and puku. We would have to hunt a different area for puku but that was ok. I thought it would be a fun to be the first hunter in a new area.

Leon met me in Lusaka and brought me to the hotel. I allowed a couple of extra days in country in case of any problems. Without going through all of the details Leon was unable to obtain the permits for us to hunt Kanzutu. After Leon and his partner spent a large sum of money on anti-poaching, infrastructure, etc. a government bureaucrat decided he and the government were not getting their fair share.

In steps Andrew Baldry with Royal Kafue. This would be a good time to thank Andrew, Mr. and Mrs. 218Bee, and Mr. and Mrs. Surefire7. Andrew allowed us to setup a fly camp and the other hunters had no issues with us being there even though the concession was supposed to be exclusive for them. We met the 218Bees at the end of their hunt and the Surefire7s at the beginning of theirs. Both couples are class acts and a credit to the hunting community.

Leon with help from Andrew and his staff, setup the fly camp. It was one of my favorite camps ever. We had an outdoor shower, cooked over an open fire, and no generator. It was great. Leon is a very competent PH and I enjoyed hunting with him.

We ended up taking a buffalo, roan, and puku. The buffalo was hunted in the tall grass. It was the first time I shot a buffalo that was not recovered either immediately or within a couple of hours. After shooting it at extremely close range we tracked it for at least eight hours until dark. The next morning we picked up the tracks quickly and saw it was stumbling. We caught up to it shortly in 10 foot tall grass. I told Leon earlier if he had a better shot to take it, it was not worth risking anybody’s life. It ran to our left somewhat in our direction. We both got shots in it and it was over. My guess is I single lunged it the day before. They can go a long ways like that.

For those who are not familiar with Royal Kafue it is a great area that Andrew and the local community have built together. It could be considered a model for conservation and community involvement. Six years ago the Royal Kafue area had no game. It was all poached for bush meat. Since then the local community has worked with an experienced operator ( Andrew Baldry) to provide anti-poaching for the area. After several years conducting anti-poaching game was back in the area in sufficient numbers to hunt. Since then, the wildlife in the area has thrived and the local community has benefited, all paid by hunters dollars.

I went to Zambia right after the Zimbabwe lion story became viral, so I had time to ponder the consequences of the event and the reactions of the anti-hunters and governments. One morning we were on buffalo tracks and had to wait for a herd of sable to pass on our right. Immediately in front of us was a small herd of hartebeest and before we could move over 20 eland past 100 yards in front of us. I lamented the thought that the "do-gooders" who have never been to Africa, have not contributed one dollar to the preservation of any species, and have no idea about conservation in Africa would have their way the wonderful sight in front of me would be gone forever.

There was so much more like the day we watched 41 roan in one herd, the evening I should have shot the blue duiker but pushed the safety forward on Andrew’s little CZ (which put it back on safe), I was there when a poached lion was found, We saw a huge gnarly civet cat, I drove the boat down the Kafue River, and I had the pleasure to celebrate with the Surefires the night they took the leopard. I also found out it can get cold in Africa. My last several trips were in April, May, October, November, and December in the Zambezi Valley. I was ill prepared for the Kafue cold nights and mornings.

At the end of the day I had a great hunt, met some great people, and enjoyed the great Royal Kafue.

Camp 01_zpsbdtraidj.jpg

Attachments

• Camp 04_zps2a5vi2bo.jpg
    Camp 04_zps2a5vi2bo.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 212
  • P1030108_zpscbwbmqwd.jpg
    P1030108_zpscbwbmqwd.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Camp 03_zpsdamohtjz.jpg
    Camp 03_zpsdamohtjz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 214
  • P1030127_zpsaoqa4cjq.jpg
    P1030127_zpsaoqa4cjq.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 189
  • P1030105_zpsycx038ol.jpg
    P1030105_zpsycx038ol.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 206
  • P1030071_zpsyy9gtawv.jpg
    P1030071_zpsyy9gtawv.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Hunt 02_zpsktwshfi7.jpg
    Hunt 02_zpsktwshfi7.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Hunt 01_zpsqb3xxngx.jpg
    Hunt 01_zpsqb3xxngx.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Hunt 04_zpsmokzsvwt.jpg
    Hunt 04_zpsmokzsvwt.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 201
  • ad6f63d3-8fdf-4f58-8b7c-26c21f83fb72_zpskjhdgqql.jpg
    ad6f63d3-8fdf-4f58-8b7c-26c21f83fb72_zpskjhdgqql.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 194
  • Wildlife 06_zpsggeqliyz.jpg
    Wildlife 06_zpsggeqliyz.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 198
  • P1030029_zpsfq5ruzqv.jpg
    P1030029_zpsfq5ruzqv.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Wildlife 05_zpset0vsaez.jpg
    Wildlife 05_zpset0vsaez.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 197
  • P1030184_zpsnsm9w9zn.jpg
    P1030184_zpsnsm9w9zn.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Wildlife 04_zpsp0rwalk7.jpg
    Wildlife 04_zpsp0rwalk7.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Wildlife 01_zpsjcbjbs3o.jpg
    Wildlife 01_zpsjcbjbs3o.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Wildlife 02_zpsu8kt8z4g.jpg
    Wildlife 02_zpsu8kt8z4g.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 192
  • P1030025_zpsxiijg5ot.jpg
    P1030025_zpsxiijg5ot.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 201
  • P1030178_zps2dhjsfew.jpg
    P1030178_zps2dhjsfew.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 195
  • P1030100_zps4jd333jf.jpg
    P1030100_zps4jd333jf.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you were cruising for Gators in that aluminum boat.

@Mike70560 it was good to meet you after your hunt and have some dinner with you and leon, even if you did get to experience some of the normal power cuts before and during the meal , so a nice torch and candle light dinner :D and bumping into you at sci. really good leon managed to sort it and you had a great hunt. cheers mike

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing Mike! I have read your Congo report elsewhere, would be great to have it here too. That was quite an adventure to read about!

Skike.t
It was good meeting you in Lusaka, I almost forgot about our candlelight dinner.

I was fortunate to have operators work together for their client. Andrew Baldry and Leon are both standup guys.

Andrew is a stand up guy. Congrats on your hunt. Glad it worked out for you in the end. Bruce

Congrats on your successful hunt, you are making it easier for me to make a decision on whether I want to go on a safari in Zambia.

Congratulations..

looks and sounds like a GREAT time was had by all.

Leon met me in Lusaka and brought me to the hotel. I allowed a couple of extra days in country in case of any problems. Without going through all of the details Leon was unable to obtain the permits for us to hunt Kanzutu. After Leon and his partner spent a large sum of money on anti-poaching, infrastructure, etc. a government bureaucrat decided he and the government were not getting their fair share
Good to hear you were prepared and wise to the ways of the inevitable African happenings.
Sounds like a good hunt with good people.

Congrats for a great hunt, Mike, love your puku, it´s on my list !

Phil,

The Congo story was also printed in the October-November issue of "African Hunter Magazine".

I recently received the taxidermy work from this safari.

Mike Borman did the taxidermy work in Lusaka and took care of packing and shipping. Well Worldwide received the shipment in Houston.

The roan is a pedestal mount, the puku a should mount, the buffalo a skull mount, and I had the back skins from the puku and roan tanned. The buffalo skull and puku skin are in my office at work and the remaining animals are in my home.

The pedestal was built by a local (to me) cabinet maker. His quality is as good or better than any I have seen.

Overall I am very pleased with the taxidermy work. Everything was done as requested and the quality is very good. The crating was very good, nothing was damaged and everything was in the shipment.

Attachments

• 4110fde5-da26-4e5a-95d8-2abc215f3f79_zpsuttkd8fo.jpg
    4110fde5-da26-4e5a-95d8-2abc215f3f79_zpsuttkd8fo.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 135
Congratulations and enjoyable report. Like others, the reports wets my appetite for going to Zambia.

Good stuff!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Great looking roan sir! Thank you for posting your report.

Great report and great looking trophies. Thanks for sharing

Mike,

Glad that Andrew and his clients could/would accommodate you. Overall the hunting community is such a great group of individuals. True "salt of the earth".

Has Leon dropped any efforts to make his area in the Luangwa work? Is Leon working back in Tanzania now?

Love your tent camp. Looks like a great African hunt.

Thanks for sharing your report and photos. Your trophies look great.

As Brickburn said, the photo of you cruising the Kafui looks a lot like some of your photos cruising the bayou.

Thanks for sharing pics of the mounts also, and congrats again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elissperry

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!