ZAMBIA: Hunt At Mbizi Safaris In Zambia

Great report. Congrats on your good buffalo!

Very nice congratulations.

Those bosses have some character and a great bushbuck! Thank you for sharing your hunt with us.

Congratulations nice trophy's. Zambia seems like an interesting place to hunt.

Great old bull and Chobe bushbuck. Those Hyena are pretty crafty when you have to hunt them during daylight hours. I notice the double, what caliber were you shooting? Thanks for the report.
HEYM 88 PH in .470 n.e. with a second barrel set in 9.3x74R both under docter sights.

Reactions: cls
Great hunt! Does Mbizi set their own quotas or are they imposed on them as they're in a GMA? Too bad you missed out on the hyena, they were certainly present! Until what time were you sitting for them?

Great hunt! Does Mbizi set their own quotas or are they imposed on them as they're in a GMA? Too bad you missed out on the hyena, they were certainly present! Until what time were you sitting for them?

Hi Steven, I thing Pork Poker was mentioned in the report that they was sitting late one evening to investigate what time the hyenas was arrive to the bait with out attention to shooting, 30 minutes after the sun set is what we follow by the law in Zambia and in October the sunset is around 17,30

Oh and by the way I love that bushbuck!!!

Looks like a beautiful place.

MBIZI - 7 days hunt Buffalo

Arrived at Lusaka and was met in the airport by local staff. Weapon registration was fairly fast, exchange of money and customs not very fast, 4 US$ was collected per round of ammo. It took a bit of time but nothing unusual, would suggest other visitors to bring cash to pay visa $ 50 plus ammo, do not bring bank notes that are old as bank will not accept.

Met Michael, the manager, and got to hotel for an early start the following day.

Drive the following morning on the Great East Road to Nyimba (4 hours on Asphalt) and from there one more hour to the camp on Luangwa River, this last bit on rough dirt road.

The camp is not new but in very good repair, and the chalets that houses the guests are very comfortable with a generous bedroom with attached bathroom. There are upgrading of the facilities under way: building of a new abattoir, new board walks and a swimming pool was being finished during my stay. The heart of the accommodation is the deck over the Luangwa River which serves as dining area and offers a great view of the river. Early morning the watered lawn attracted small herds of Impala.

View attachment 215879

View attachment 215885

Food good, Staff friendly and competent, Clean and well run.

Hunting: the goal was 1 buffalo and one warthog. The first morning we set out and in a couple of hours I was put in a situation where I had to make a choice. We had first contact to a small group of buffalo with a good bull; not wide in spread but worn and with deep boss. Simon, my P.H., gave me the choice; go for it or start looking for something “better”. My choice was to shoot, as to me the character and the boss was more important than width.

View attachment 215882

You could say not a lot of hunting before the shot, but that was how my luck turned out on that day.

After noon we started on the hunt for a suitable warthog. Here I experienced the advantage of the fact that the property is registered as a farm. It is not really an ideal area for warthog, and without problem we could include other species in out hunt (without having to worry about licenses etc.). We ended up trying to hunt the following: warthog, bushbuck, waterbuck, klipspringer and hyena.

We found no warthog or waterbuck that Simon thought was large enough to shoot, but had a chance on Klipspringer (where I was too slow). We did get a good bushbuck. We had no success with hyena which we hunted on bait from a blind for 3 evenings. Maybe we should have been more careful with the blind or maybe we were not persistent enough. Trail cameras had the hyena coming to the bait 30 minutes to one hour after we left the blind.

View attachment 215883

View attachment 215888

View attachment 215881

View attachment 215884

Thanks for sharing this. Pity about the hyenas - typical but they may have detected you.
Nice buff though.
Seems expensive $4 per round!!!

Two great trophies. Congratulations.

Thanks for the report.

Hi Steven, I thing Pork Poker was mentioned in the report that they was sitting late one evening to investigate what time the hyenas was arrive to the bait with out attention to shooting, 30 minutes after the sun set is what we fallowing by the law in Zambia and in October the sunset is around 17,30

Aha, but the hyenas arrived even after that time. How about the quotas?

congratulations on a great hunt. Reading everyone's reports is holding me over till late April!

Congrats on some fine animals!

Awesome Buffalo and Bushbuck! Congrats a a great hunt.

Congrats, that is a fine old cape buffalo!!!

Nice trophies, well done. Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg