Pork Poker

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Denmark, Poland, Latvia, Scotland, Minnesota
MBIZI - 7 days hunt Buffalo

Arrived at Lusaka and was met in the airport by local staff. Weapon registration was fairly fast, exchange of money and customs not very fast, 4 US$ was collected per round of ammo. It took a bit of time but nothing unusual, would suggest other visitors to bring cash to pay visa $ 50 plus ammo, do not bring bank notes that are old as bank will not accept.

Met Michael, the manager, and got to hotel for an early start the following day.

Drive the following morning on the Great East Road to Nyimba (4 hours on Asphalt) and from there one more hour to the camp on Luangwa River, this last bit on rough dirt road.

The camp is not new but in very good repair, and the chalets that houses the guests are very comfortable with a generous bedroom with attached bathroom. There are upgrading of the facilities under way: building of a new abattoir, new board walks and a swimming pool was being finished during my stay. The heart of the accommodation is the deck over the Luangwa River which serves as dining area and offers a great view of the river. Early morning the watered lawn attracted small herds of Impala.

9.jpg

31.jpg

Food good, Staff friendly and competent, Clean and well run.

Hunting: the goal was 1 buffalo and one warthog. The first morning we set out and in a couple of hours I was put in a situation where I had to make a choice. We had first contact to a small group of buffalo with a good bull; not wide in spread but worn and with deep boss. Simon, my P.H., gave me the choice; go for it or start looking for something “better”. My choice was to shoot, as to me the character and the boss was more important than width.

mbizibuff3.jpg

You could say not a lot of hunting before the shot, but that was how my luck turned out on that day.

After noon we started on the hunt for a suitable warthog. Here I experienced the advantage of the fact that the property is registered as a farm. It is not really an ideal area for warthog, and without problem we could include other species in out hunt (without having to worry about licenses etc.). We ended up trying to hunt the following: warthog, bushbuck, waterbuck, klipspringer and hyena.

We found no warthog or waterbuck that Simon thought was large enough to shoot, but had a chance on Klipspringer (where I was too slow). We did get a good bushbuck. We had no success with hyena which we hunted on bait from a blind for 3 evenings. Maybe we should have been more careful with the blind or maybe we were not persistent enough. Trail cameras had the hyena coming to the bait 30 minutes to one hour after we left the blind.

Bushbuck3.jpg

10140412.jpg

staff1.jpg

10140412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report and great decision to take the shot on the buff. Great old buffalo with exceptional bosses, much better trophy than a younger bull with spread. Also a great bushbuck.

Well done.

Congrats on your hunt sir.

Very nice and congrats on the buff and bushbuck!!

Wow! Nice bosses on your buffalo! And one fine looking bushbuck!
Congratulations!

Great looking buff. Your decision to take what the bush gives you was the correct one. That old buff has bumped heads with others more than once for sure.

Very nice buff this..(y)

Great old bull and Chobe bushbuck. Those Hyena are pretty crafty when you have to hunt them during daylight hours. I notice the double, what caliber were you shooting? Thanks for the report.

Great report. Thank you for sharing and congrats on your trophies.

Im strongly considering hunting with Mbizi. Looks like a great choice.

Great character on that buff and the bushbuck as well. Wonderful trophies. Congrats

That Bushbuck holds your attention.
Great choice on the Buffalo. Luck is a great tool, use it when you have it!

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Last edited:
Awesome Buff and bushbucks. I think the Chobe are the most beautiful of the bushbucks. Congratulations!

It was only $2 per round for ammo when I went in 2015. Crispy 50s make people smile! I always check at the bank to make sure I have the latest print date. Really nice bushbuck! Thanks for sharing.

Took a tuskless on my first day and a buffalo on my second of a 10 day hunt; sometimes you take what the bush gives.(y)

Good stuff!

Hi Martin, thanks for good and realists report how things can turn out on a safari, I must also mention that we on our 7 days buffalo safaris last year had a limitation on other game that was possible to hunt, anyhow all the clients was lucky with them buffalo's from day 1 to day 6 it's hunting and you never know...
All the best,
Michael

Great report and excellent animals! The accommodations don't look too shabby either. Very nice indeed.

Congrats, nice trophies !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg