Zambia closed to hunting?

Markschu

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Just got this email from an agent. Is this true?:

Please pardon any perceived sense of rush in regard to this email, and please revert instead to Bubba's judgment that I am a straight shooter. I just concluded a rather alarming phone conversation with representatives in Africa and the time is now to act on safaris for 2014. Here is why.

First, Zambia will shortly announce that there will be no hunting in 2014. I have seen some of the pre-press policy information. Zambia had already suspended safaris in 2013 for all but 4 concessions, and had stopped all lion and leopard hunting. People were opening it would re-open, but it almost assuredly is going in the wrong direction. I myself have a safari planned there for 2014 which is in jeopardy.

Secondly, RENAMO (a rebel group) is disrupting safaris in Mozambique. A PH and vehicle were recently fired upon during a recent safari. The security situation there is forecasted to erode to the point that safari operators will eventually halt safari operations, or the rest of us will become concerned and op out of Mozambique as a hunting destination. It appears that conditions will erode to the bush wars of the past.

The consequence of these two factors is that demand will shift almost entirely to Zimbabwe for buffalo and lion for that matter. Consequently, anyone who is considering hunting in Unit 5 Matetsi for 2014 should book it immediately. It already was a best option regardless of conditions in and beyond Zimbabwe, but now more people will become aware of it due to available credible options becoming more limited.

I do not want to appear as an alarmist, but I monitor and pay strict attention to leading indicators. This message is going out as an alert to several people who are considering safaris for 2014, and I wanted you to be among the first to know. If Marco Polo is more preferential for 2014, no worries, except that the rise in demand will mean higher safari costs in 2015.

I have not heard anything, hunting on private land should continue in Zambia no matter what happens. Yes, the price of cape buffalo hunts is on the rise, Zimbabwe raised there fees last year and I'm sure it will continue so it will be hard for a blue collar worker to afford a hunt down the line.

Hunting will continue on all private land and we are waiting to see what is ZAWA - they have being doing the game counts so hopefully this will help. We have had a good year on the private land - and shortly will be putting on offers for 2014 for Takeri Private Reserve and Shiwa Ngandu - happy to help anyone looking to book a hunt in Zambia - this would be with myself as the PH and can offer several private reserves within zambia

Hunting will continue on all private land and we are waiting to see what is ZAWA - they have being doing the game counts so hopefully this will help. We have had a good year on the private land - and shortly will be putting on offers for 2014 for Takeri Private Reserve and Shiwa Ngandu - happy to help anyone looking to book a hunt in Zambia - this would be with myself as the PH and can offer several private reserves within zambia

Good news Patsy.

Hope ZAWA gets their act together with a new staff.

nearly fell off my chair when i saw you had returned to the site :laughing:

nearly fell off my chair when i saw you had returned to the site :laughing:

I was going to say that it is better Patsy than you posting offers for the reserve.
At least Patsy has some credibility. :)

Pardon my ignorance , but what essentially is the difference between the Government hunting areas and the private areas , apart from obviously being privately owned ?

Pardon my ignorance , but what essentially is the difference between the Government hunting areas and the private areas , apart from obviously being privately owned ?

hi .the govnt areas are the open hunting concessions most of which are closed to hunting at the moment. private land is fenced and you have to be a member of the wildlife producers association of zambia (WPAZ), and have ownership papers from ZAWA for the animals on your property to be able to provide hunts, or they were the original rules, but as usual things changed. certain people with influence and people in positions of power either owned, were involved or had friends who owned private reserves/conservancies that werent fenced, so they changed the rules to allow these people to buy animal quotas from ZAWA to sell for hunting. this is no different from an operator in a govnt concession who if they were operating would be doing the same, so that didnt go down well with the safari operators who cant run their businesses as hunting in most govnt concessions isnt happening, unless you are poacher of course who are having a field day at the moment. one of the reasons they gave for the ban was they wanted to do a head count of animals so they could work out correct quotas , but they were selling to these private open areas before any head counts had taken place..............as usual its who you know/are that counts so you can change the rules to your advantage. bit of an advantage when you dont have the expense of putting up the fence, maintaining it, buying all the animals in the first place etc, or just buy what animal quotas as and when you need....................

Thanks for the info Spike.t

ha ha ! some of us are out there hunting and not at the desk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,